Wobble front end

rmiles

Scooter
Would like to add a little more stability to my 07. So would a steering damper or fork brace give more bang for the buck?

koifarm

Hooligan
The fork braces on the market are okay except that Bonnies have a really decent fork brace as part of the fender support system....(this on my 07 anyway, don't know about more recent years)
I'd look at tires if you're having some shake. The modern Triumphs have no steering damper as such, you can take a teeny bit of slack out by tightening the fork bolt just a wee bit but it really doesn't do a whole lot.
I'd think maybe a steering damper would get you a stiffer front end, I use one and am quite happy with the results.

rmiles

Scooter
The fork braces on the market are okay except that Bonnies have a really decent fork brace as part of the fender support system....(this on my 07 anyway, don't know about more recent years)
I'd look at tires if you're having some shake. The modern Triumphs have no steering damper as such, you can take a teeny bit of slack out by tightening the fork bolt just a wee bit but it really doesn't do a whole lot.
I'd think maybe a steering damper would get you a stiffer front end, I use one and am quite happy with the results.

Thanks, I should have phrased stiffer instead of a wobble.

strokerlmt

Hey there.....not trying to press.....but I have found that a fork brace and a damper give me great stability and confidence especially after 70-80 mph.....
up to you......
LMT

DandyDoug

750cc
Tire pressure first, then tires, then maybe rear shocks, a set of fork springs should handle most of it. The other stuff looks cool but is only covering up another problem in most cases.

strokerlmt

Tire pressure first, then tires, then maybe rear shocks, a set of fork springs should handle most of it. The other stuff looks cool but is only covering up another problem in most cases.

DD....I agree with you. I put on very good rubber, pressure balanced properly, wheels are true, balanced the rear shocks and front suspension for my weight. Then I added a NH fork brace and the ride was firmer for me.....then I put a damper on and the ride felt more comfortable at higher speeds. I agree get the basics correct but braces & dampers in the correct situation are not just good looking bling.
Thank god it is 2012.....
LMT

monty

Street Tracker
I'm running Avon Roadriders, front and rear, Hagon shocks and Hagon progressive fork springs. This set up has provide me with a stable bike, no matter what I do to it. Long motorway bends or twisty back roads all the same.

I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment that the fork brace is not needed.

Monty

Texas94fs

Hooligan
the real issue is that the front axle on these bikes is
so small in diameter. If you look at all modern sportbikes and the like
their axles are significantly larger and provide much more rigidity. After
then F3 swap on my bike, even under extreme lean angles (dragging mufflers and race footpegs)and hard riding Ive had no issues with the front end.

DandyDoug

750cc
The Bonneville and Thruxton are built to a price point , if you push the chassis beyond what it is designed for it will protest. When a motorcycle starts to wiggle and all the basic's are set up properly, it's just talking to you. The message is clear, danger approaches !!:rocket:

strokerlmt

The Bonneville and Thruxton are built to a price point , if you push the chassis beyond what it is designed for it will protest. When a motorcycle starts to wiggle and all the basic's are set up properly, it's just talking to you. The message is clear, danger approaches !!:rocket:

They are built to a 'price point" as you say but the engine IMHO is under built and should someone wish to move beyond Triumph standard then the bike can be improved upon and modified and driven harder and faster safely.
LMT

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I had a wobble at speeds approaching 100mph but took off my Parabellum Windscreen and the shake quit. The wobble wasn't really an issue back before as I don't haul ass all that often. There are 2 reasons I don't around here, Deer, and Police. I swear the Lowcountry of South Carolina has more flippin peace officers on patrol than any other place I've ever lived BUT, that parallel twin does feel right nice to smack the ton with when I feel the need for speed.
If ya haven't done it yet, What ya waiting for?

gregs57

Scooter
My 2002 T100 is well set up with stock suspension and good Metzeller rubber and 12,000 K's on the clock. It has always handled well except for a slight "vague" or light feel in the front end. It's never been a problem but I like to play so I sought out a damper to suit. I found mine on eBay from a bloke in England. It's basicly the same as the ones from Norman Hyde or Newbonneville.com. and works a treat.
It was a snack to fit, the brackets supplied fit perfectly, it looks the goods and more importantly does a top job.
My front end feels more planted on the road now, no more vague feel just a little heavier steering.
I'd recommend a damper without a worry