What's your bone head mistakes...

Roger

Street Tracker
rode it home with all kindsa weeds and crap hangin from the bike

Many years ago did that twice. Both times in pouring rain and both times came to a sliding stop in lots of grass. Rode home with lots of garnishes hanging from the bikes as well.
Had two other accidents on bikes but those weren't my bonehead moves. Full face helmets all the time... fuck yeah!

zmilin

Street Tracker
Removed my cams and sent them to TPUSA. When they arrived I immediately started working on the bike (going against the advice Carlos had given me via a phone call to wait vs diving right into it - he must have heard the excitment in my voice).
Blind and dumbed down with the anticipation, I went to install the cams and decide I was not at TDC so I spun the motor to get everything lined up. In actuality I forgot I had it all lined up when I removed them so all I would need to do is drop them in. Needless to say I bent some valves and cost myself more money BUT I got a Street Plus head out of my mistake so win win I guess :cheers:

So many bonehead mistakes, but one immediately comes to mind....

I forgot to disconnect the battery from the rest of the wiring loom on my A75 BSA Rocket3. Destroyed the wiring loom and just about exploded the battery. All indoors in a basement with the windows closed.

simpson

TT Racer
I kick-started an ugly Honda CB125 whilst it was up on a lift....we wound up on the floor of the shop in the missionary position (with me on the bottom).

-simpson

Flaco

750cc
Oh shoot!
Hey! After re-reading this thread I remembered the time when I thought the fuel pump was out of my '99 GMC 4x4 pick-up…
Unbolted and lifted the bed, removed the fuel tank and pump and shoot she was out of gas!
Just needed a fuel gauge! :stupid:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
used an old trick for better spark on my old R75 which was to replace the 6V coils with 6V Volkswagon coils. Did the same thing on my R90S only the coils were 12 volts. Burned up the wiring.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Oh shoot!
Hey! After re-reading this thread I remembered the time when I thought the fuel pump was out of my '99 GMC 4x4 pick-up…
Unbolted and lifted the bed, removed the fuel tank and pump and shoot she was out of gas!
Just needed a fuel gauge! :stupid:

I had done the clutch on my '65 Chevelle and once back on the road, it was all herkie-jerkie - as if I had contaminated the clutch disc and it was slipping/grabbing, repeat. Pulled the trans again, cleaned the disk, and reassembled. Still herky-jerky. Hmmm.

Pulled the distributor cap and found the condensor had come loose and was bouncing around in there...dammit.

Flaco

750cc
Well, like my dad used to say…
"You live and you learn and then you die and forget it all."
'65 Chevelle… Cooll!

TJohn

moped
Serviced a Vespa for a Mod( Skinhead ) when I was a jnr m/c mechanic.
Thought I'd give it a degrease as a goodwill, got some in the rear brakes.
Mod picked it up, took off and immediately rode into the back of a truck.