What's it worth? 2001 Bonneville, lots of good stuff.

bdavanza

Street Tracker
What's it worth? 2001 Bonneville, lots of good stuff.
I hardly ride the bike any more since buying a Ducati GT1000.
I have been considering selling the bike. 1st year bike, 790cc,
List of upgrades:
Airbox removal kit w/ K&N's, upgraded barnett clutch, OEM Tachometer upgrade, Predator stainless exhaust, ZRX rear shocks, Steering damper, fork brace, 3 different seats (grey thrux, Tri solo, king/queen), Triumph saddlebags, NC fly screen, small turn signals, early style lucas tail light, grab rail, CRG hindsight mirrors, 68 tank cover, Norman Hyde bars, Monza gas cap, Upgraded horn, top of the line Shorai lipo battery.
I also have (not yet installed) New bonneville.com LED upgrades for the dash and race tech cartridge fork emulators, plus preload adjusters for a serious fork upgrade. I also have some Thruxton aluminum rims I can throw in.
Pics show older mirrors but the bike looks essentially the same.

Attachments

• 1978_1098327412954_2634_n.jpg
    1978_1098327412954_2634_n.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 1978_1098327492956_4594_n.jpg
    1978_1098327492956_4594_n.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
Great looking Bonnie. I don't know what value to place on it. I can tell you I just paid $4,500 for an 03 T-100 100th Anniversary silver/orange with 6k miles and ceramic headers with NH toga exhaust and the AI removed. I hope that helps you set a price. I would not have paid more than 3.8k if it had more miles and no mods.

strokerlmt

My 2 cents ....nice bike....I like the older carbed models. Its a 2001 and worth X amount of dollars. You have some nice mods and my experience is you do not get your dollars back on the upgrades. Take all the great stuff off the bike, IE rear shocks, 2 extra seats sell etc etc and sell online. Then sell a nice well maintained stock bike for the 2001 value. Hope that helps.
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
My 2 cents ....nice bike....I like the older carbed models. Its a 2001 and worth X amount of dollars. You have some nice mods and my experience is you do not get your dollars back on the upgrades. Take all the great stuff off the bike, IE rear shocks, 2 extra seats sell etc etc and sell online. Then sell a nice well maintained stock bike for the 2001 value. Hope that helps.
LMT

+1...This is great advise. It might take a little longer to get everything unloaded but I think you will do better for yourself going that route. The '01 should sell itself on its own merit.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Did I miss how many miles are on it?

Common real market value right now during winter .. tops $4k. Probably more like $3500.

2KLBUP

Scooter
Did I miss how many miles are on it?

Common real market value right now during winter .. tops $4k. Probably more like $3500.

No way, man. That's an early 2001 with crossed coolant line heads, making the build date between 11/2000 and 3/2001. (It also has the first gen. radical cams, steel side covers, etc., but those are not nearly as important as those heads)
It's worth a good deal more than that to most folks. It is, after all, the rarest of the new Bonnies when we're talking actual hardware, and not just a limited run paint scheme.

With even some of the goodies thrown in, he's looking at a legitimate $5500.00.

If it were a later 2001 model (April 2001-on) I could agree with your $4K cap, but mark my words; These will be the most sought after of all New Bonnies before another decade passes, and it will likely fetch $11K at that point.

strokerlmt

No way, man. That's an early 2001 with crossed coolant line heads, making the build date between 11/2000 and 3/2001. (It also has the first gen. radical cams, steel side covers, etc., but those are not nearly as important as those heads)
It's worth a good deal more than that to most folks. It is, after all, the rarest of the new Bonnies when we're talking actual hardware, and not just a limited run paint scheme.

If it were a later 2001 model (April 2001-on) I could agree with your $4K cap, but mark my words; These will be the most sought after of all New Bonnies before another decade passes, and it will likely fetch $11K at that point.

MY RESPONSE
I believe 5500.00 will be very hard to achieve. The buyer that understands the unique issues about the early Bonne factory builds is a needle in a haystack to find. Reality is it is a 2001 Bonne with X number of miles on it is worth what it is. The mods are worth 10 cents on the dollar. Pull all the nice mods, put stock shocks , seat etc etc back on and sell the bike for 3500.00 Then sell the bits and make another 1000-1500++++ dollars. Used is used IMHO
LMT

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder

As I see it .. it's one of the early 2001s that had clutch issues. The crossed coolant lines blah blah BS dont mean diddly to me .. and it probably doesnt mean much to most buyers of a 13 yr old bike. If it's a potential collector bike because of the early production/build date .. then THAT collector status was ruined when it was modified from stock.

The OP asked for opinions .. it's a $3500 bike. If he prices that at $5500, then my opinion is, 'it will collect dust waiting for the phone to ring'. $11k?!!?!? brahahahaha .. did you pull that number and idea from your butt?

2KLBUP

Scooter
Take it easy there, bubba.
You're welcome to offer your opinion, just as I'm welcome to offer mine.
No need in reducing yourself to the point where you feel inclined to throw vulgarities at me.
I have legitimate reason to believe that in ten years, 11G is what a clean, unmolested one will go for, based upon historical market trends.

JohStewartPopCorn_zps998decd9.gif

Bonafide

NBR founder
Take it easy there, bubba.
You're welcome to offer your opinion, just as I'm welcome to offer mine.
No need in reducing yourself to the point where you feel inclined to throw vulgarities at me.
I have legitimate reason to believe that in ten years, 11G is what a clean, unmolested one will go for, based upon historical market trends.

Vulgarities? ... Go fuck yourself 2KLBUP. That, you fucking idiot, is a vulgarity.

As for all other BS you're spewing .. GFY, you're an idiot. :)

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Vulgarities? ... Go fuck yourself 2KLBUP. That, you fucking idiot, is a vulgarity.

As for all other BS you're spewing .. GFY, you're an idiot. :)

I think it's because you said "butt".

I'm cashing in all my 401K $$ early and putting it in 2001 Bonnies. That way, when I retire in 15 years.... I'll have an assload of 2001 Bonnies.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I'm cashing in all my 401K $$ early and putting it in 2001 Bonnies. That way, when I retire in 15 years.... I'll have an assload of 2001 Bonnies.

lol BlueJ, you wont have to wait that long. It's going to be "in 10 years" .. according to the Nostradamus of Bonneville-land.

whyme

TT Racer
poor bastard is just trying to retire on triumphs…..I might have somethings to sell him then if he's using that logic. I got a honda 90cc…44 years old, yours for only 44k…

Man that's a lot of pretend drama for a pretend Internet motorcycle club. I don't know about 11k or even 3.5 k , but I know a 1977 BMW R100RS sells for more than they did when new. I also know a 1964 & 1/2 Mustang is worth a lot more than a 1972 mustang, so there is president on early models being worth more. Of course it is all speculation and luck.

I grew up on BSA and Norton machines, only because we had a big Norton BSA dealer near me and in the mid and late 1970s everybody was going Japanese for the power speed and reliability. Brit bike were cheap and plentiful. A kid working at the Amoco station could afford a Commando easier than a KZ650. Of all the Nortons I had back then (5 in a row) my 71 750 Combat Commando Roadster was the best and now easily the most valuable, I sold it for $1500 in 1990 because I was tired of the breakdowns. My rambling point is this; nobody knows what bikes will be worth and which ones will be cult favorites or iconic designs. If you want to sell your bike, assign it a a value.