What is your recommended motor oil?

Hi guys I'm Gustavo Woltmann and I am working in a private publishers office since 2006. Just a quick question, what is your recommended motor oil? What are you using right now and why?

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
Gus, thanks for posting your question. I started out using Spectro synthetic oils when I purchased my new Bonneville in 2008 because it was what the dealer recommended. However, a few years ago I started attending AMA Pro Flat Track racing and built a relationship with the Triumph racing team owner Bill Gately of Bonneville Performance. He recommended I switch to Castrol Power RS which has subsequently been replaced with Castrol Power1, and is what Triumph uses in all of its new engines from the factory. I've been very happy with it. When I had my engine rebuilt into a high-performance racing setup a year ago by Bill Gately, he noted how little wear there was in the original engine for having over 60,000 miles on it. I guess that speaks for something!

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Hi guys I'm Gustavo Woltmann and I am working in a private publishers office since 2006. Just a quick question, what is your recommended motor oil? What are you using right now and why?

Shell Rotella T6. In all my vehicles. 06 Thruxton, '14 Tiger, and my hot rodded Ford Lightning with over 500 HP.

Took apart my thruxton motor at 35k miles after hard riding, long trips, and plenty of high stress track use; to find the original tooling marks still on the cylinder walls, and despite a touch of carbon build up on the pistons almost 0 wear. Plus the clutch feel on wet clutch is nice. I've ridden a few that use other oils and it does make a difference.

bonZa

Street Tracker
Silkolene Comp 4 15w-50, bike is at 130,000 Kilometers with no problems and still runs well http://www.silkolene.com/motorcycle/...p-4-15w-50-xp/

started off with Silkolene 10w-40 but after about 50k and due to fairly hot summers here, went to 20w50, but it felt a bit stiff with the gear changes until warmed up to operating temperature, so have used 15w50 ever since

Last edited: