triumph Thunderbird 900 parts?

I have the opportunity to pick up a t/bird sport with a blown engine! Has only 17,000km on it, so not sure how that happened?

I am really tempted and condition is immaculate (other than motor) My lady will be furious but it seems like a good project, and she will get over it.

What i was was wondering was how easy is it to obtain parts for them these days. I cant afford to have two bikes on road really. But have fancied a t/bird sport for awhile, and really worried if i let this one go i will regret it.

Last edited:
Made an offer and his counter is a couple of hundred more. Am considering but still worried about engine parts for these. Though I guess the engines must be similar to Tiger 900 and speed triple? Oh should I get it or not!

Can no one help? I am keen on this. freinds have said if have to split engine then dont bother as its too hard and never as good as before? others say go for it. I am just not sure what to do? Would any hinckley 900 engine fit in if I had to find one to replace it?
Also I dont think its a sport either as dont have black engine or cheese grater air filter. Also cant work out if exhaust is standard with megaphone either side fitted. Year is 2005 (guessing last year of production) Anyone know a good site to get a history / colour scheme for these?

Iceseven

750cc
Sorry that I can't be much help but I had a 95 Tbird and I have a friend that still has a 97 Tbird Sport and he did tell me that parts can be tough to source for his. Seems like the 97 and 98 had the three pipes on one side then Triumph went with megs on both sides. These engines were very solid so blowing one would take some effort and I have never heard of that happening from others. Unless it was very cheap it may not be worth the trouble tracking down expensive parts. I remember that the engines were modular througout the range but the different models had different exterior casings, cams and pistons so the Tbirds may be a little of a oddity as compared with Tigers/Speed Triples/etc.

Here is a pic. Lots of oddities

Manufactured Aug 05 so is an 06 model ( thought finished 04?)

Chrome cups and sides on radiator

Even colour i cant find (white where red is I can)

Price I can get it for is half the price of one with good engine. I still am not sure whether to get it. But i do like it

Story I am told. Blew head gasket 5 years ago and has sat with water in block for 5 years. Bolts on head are rusted in so no idea what barrels/ pistons or bottom end look like. I guess (and am not that mechanically minded) that this would also mean water sat in bottom of engine as heavier than oil so would there be rust on gears etc maybe?

I really have to make a decision soon so any views info would really be appreciated

Attachments

• thunderbird-bird-05.jpg
    thunderbird-bird-05.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Colour scheme matches 1995 to 1997 Thunderbird (not Sport) as do the chrome gauge cups. Some images of Thunderbirds from that same time frame show chrome sides on the radiators also.

Have you personally inspected the bike to confirm its date of manufacture and that it is actually a Sport model? I suspect that it is an early Thunderbird and not a Thunderbird Sport.

Personally, with a major engine rebuild/replacement required, I would not pay more than AU$2,000 for it. It's going to cost $3,000+ for a replacement engine or to rebuild the original and you can pick up a good used Thunderbird for AU$6,000 to AU$7,000.

If you have limited wrenching capabilities forget it.

Came about 8 hours too late lol Have bought it. Yes i now think its a 1995, and not a sport from pictures. I have sent him an email to confirm this but have already done the deal. Tried a few forums and only ever got one answer ( one here), and could find nothing on google either. So bit the bullet unseen, as I really wanted it. I did pay more than two (lot more) But if nothing else will be a good project and look nice in my sunroom :)

Last edited:

Iceseven

750cc
My 95 was red with cream flash on tank, chrome radiator end covers were an accessory. Mufflers look different that mine, they look like the Sport megaphones or aftermarket. Blown gasket may not be so bad if the internals are not rusted, who knows the oil may have protected everything, good luck and post more pics.

My 95 was red with cream flash on tank, chrome radiator end covers were an accessory. Mufflers look different that mine, they look like the Sport megaphones or aftermarket. Blown gasket may not be so bad if the internals are not rusted, who knows the oil may have protected everything, good luck and post more pics.

The mufflers are aftermarket and different shocks as well. I get the originals as well with the deal & a Triumph workshop manual as well as all the paperwork from when 1st obtained.
My fault really re the year as I should have asked when He said 2005. I was sure that was wrong but my passion to get it got in my way of thinking straight lol
But I am still excited with the idea and cant wait to get it and strip top down to inspect. I have sent an email to him to check year of manufacture for me tho, as I probably would not have offered so high when 10 years older than stated. Though 17000 km is low still and at least the 95 was not hardwired on front light. Thanks for yr input Ice ( & T100 ps love your new engine great job mate). And even if motor is worse than top end rebuild. I can always keep it as a handsome piece of furniture till another engine comes along from a wreckers at a good price :) And use this one for spares
The Bonnie is my every day ride anyway.

Last edited:

nohawk

Rocker
Blown head gasket is not a big deal, re-sealing the cylinder liners is a PITA though. When you pull the head you cant turn the crank at all or the liners will have to be re-sealed. This is the case on my 2002 Daytona, dont know if it applies to your new bike but either way the head gasket isnt bad. You might have to mill the head down a bit if it is warped.

Well bought it now anyway and is the 95 Standard. Arrives tomorrow. Will assess how much work needs to be done with Donk as it sat with water more like 10 than 5 years and thanks to an idea by aussie T100 i may go same way as him and buy another engine from States.
Guy has some other very nice bikes as well. Here is a couple. But there were a lot more including Nortons, Trumpys, Beesa's, Harleys, and even 70's jap bikes. All immaculate restorations.

2057246320100875198S500x500Q85.jpg
2923725950100875198S600x600Q85.jpg
2778696520100875198S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited:
Bike now here.

2580674690100875198S600x600Q85.jpg

Bike actually started from Singapore and previous owner who was obviously an ex pat, living and working there, went through all the legal requirements to bring it back with him to Oz. The vehicle import approval papers ( both Oz and Singapore ones) are fancy enough to frame ! Very interesting stuff.
Some really great news is there is a full service from a North shore bike company dated 15/4/08. So bike has not been sitting long at all and the Staintunes (that I have all papers for as well) were also fitted then.
A slight scratch on right indicator casing and the start of pitting on chrome on rear left indicator stem is only things I can find that are not immaculate. Have a set of Chrome mirrors already, so the plastic ones are gone.

Here is a few more the guy has

2861870350100875198S500x500Q85.jpg

2143325610100875198S500x500Q85.jpg

2790312520100875198S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited:
Well get off yer arse and pull the thing apart then.

Hey mate I only just got it lol But you are right, I have to stop just looking and admiring it.
Have put bike on an optimiser and checked all electrics (other than starter) Drained oil, which was actually quite clean with not a lot of water.
Must admit I like the way the seat removes. The key goes in the sidepanel and releases it to lift off similar to the bon. But far easier than removing bolts!
I am getting the workshop manual with the deal. But to date it has still not arrived (or one of standard silencers & gasket kit). Delivery company guy said He was not given them. But was told to tell me they will be couriered separate? So I am sort of waiting on the manual really to read up a bit first. And now the money has changed hands , I dont get replies or call backs lol

Last edited:
I am getting the workshop manual with the deal. But to date it has still not arrived (or one of standard silencers). Delivery company guy said He was not given both. But was told to tell me they will be couriered separate? So I am sort of waiting on the manual really to read up a bit first. And now the money has changed hands , I dont get replies or call backs lol

Get a mate to go into his shop and start proceedings to buy another of his bikes, during the conversation get him to mention that he knows you and with one exception (still to be sorted), you are happy with your deal. Then he has to go away to sort out his money and will be back in a couple of days. If your parts don't turn up, he returns and says, no deal because he didn't look after you as promised.

Get a mate to go into his shop and start proceedings to buy another of his bikes

not a bad idea otherwise lol I will give him a week to come good tho as I think it is more to do with being laid back rather than not eventually doing right thing

I'd be itching to get the head off that thing

And yes Aussie I am itching to get started. But not really being a mechanic I would feel more at ease having the workshop manual. Head gasket would also be a bonus to. I really have not had time to do much what with work and usual domestic shit. this weekend also gonna be fairly hectic. But I am hoping to make a start on Sunday after the blanket ride.