treating leather

neuroboy

750cc
so, i've had a triumph rivton jacket for five or six years now and it's dark color has faded considerably so that it's much lighter now. . . what treatment would be the best to treat the leather and darken back up to the way it used to look? i've used nikwax a couple times for water-proofing and it didn't really darken it much.

any ideas?

simpson

TT Racer
You can have it dyed.

Rivtons seem to have a reputation for fading.

Cool looking jacket, though.

-simpson

neuroboy

750cc
Too late.
Damage is done.
Next time treat it every year with a protectant.

that's the thing. i did and it still faded to this greenish tint. i mean, i *did* wear it for every ride over the course of five or six years so i guess it's to be expected.

Bob80220

Scooter
I have been using Lexol since the 60's for all my leather items... I have always treated my leathers from the get go and throughout the year with it and have had excellent results. Especially here in this dry climate...you need to feed or condition leathers or they will fade and dry out...just sayin.

Bob

Last edited:

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
I have been using Lexol since the 60's for all my leather items... I have always treated my leathers from the get go and throughout the year with it and have had excellent results. Especially here in this dry climate...you need to feed or condition leathers or they will fade and dry out...just sayin.

Bob

Lexol to clean and condition... mink oil to waterproof.

I use black shoe polish on mine.

I found this works really well. I was worried it would run when wet but was not the case at all. I have also turned brown boots to black lol

lexol is great to. I use that on my leather lounge

oldmanjob

Scooter
I have also had my Rivton jacket for over 5 years and have always on a regular basis treated it with Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner. It has also faded just the same and it now looks as old as me:lol:. I like the look though, as it looks like I have been riding non-stop for the past 72 years:w