To the Gates of Hell!!!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Osorezan, Japan is one of the three holiest sites of Japan and was founded in the ninth century by the great Buddhist master, Jikaku, En'nin. En'nin was studying Buddhism in China and had a dream that he was told to go eastward when he returned to Japan where he will find a sacred mountain that is a thirty days walk from Kyoto. En'nin traveled to the Shimokita peninsula (referred to me in other threads as the hatchet) and found the holy site of Osorezan; next to lake Usori and next to that are eight peaks: Mount Kamafuse, Ozukushi, Kazukushi, Hokkoku, Byobu, Tsurugi, Jizo, and Keito. The significance of eight peaks is significant to Buddhism as it shows the eight pedals of the lotus flower which is the symbol of the world of Buddha.

IMG_1697.jpg

This location is considered a portal to the afterlife. One of these portals is to hell. En'nin followed the Jizo belief at Osorezan which is a vow to suffer hell himself to alleviate the pain of those condemned to hell, to free human beings from the illusions of life and death in this world, and to lead even heavenly beings of the purer world into eternal salvation. It was clear...Bonnie and I were on a trip to the gates of hell!!

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

I could see why 1200 years ago, this location was considered something of the supernatural...it is not only the lake but there is a sulfur spring deep in the ground and the smell of rotten eggs is everywhere. With that though are natural hot springs sporadically all over the place, water and mud boiling from the ground, and the terrain being drastically altered to stone and rubble when everything else in the region is lush and green. In other words...a very fucking cool ride!!! :beer::motorbike2:

IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

Another portal to hell:

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Bonnie and I kept one wheel in front of the devil and got the hell out of the doorway straight down to the underworld!! :banana::headbang2:

Then I realized this ride wasn't one for hell...it was one for the heavens as I tore it up through the cliff side twisties of the Shimokita peninsula.

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

straight roads anyone?:woot:

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

And then arrive home to find my youngest boy cruising around on his Indian...seems the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

IMG_1690.jpg

This is an amazing world we live in...

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Wooowww!! I don't know about the underworld but the scenery was just fantastic. Awesome. I really had no idea Japan was so beautiful. Looks like amazing riding.

mondrian5

Scooter
+1 Sal

Absolutely fantastic B06tang! I sent this link to my oldest son who's studying in Kyoto at Doshisha. I told him, "I took a 5 hr ride through Hunter, Windham High Peak and Halcott Mountains the other day, but this, this is my dream ride."
Just fantastic!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Wooowww!! I don't know about the underworld but the scenery was just fantastic. Awesome. I really had no idea Japan was so beautiful. Looks like amazing riding.

I have been in Japan for a total of 13 years and I compare this country to the Hudson Valley; you mention Japan and most people think of just Tokyo, much like how most just think of the city when you say New York but you leave that city and find an amazingly beautiful country.

+1 Sal

Absolutely fantastic B06tang! I sent this link to my oldest son who's studying in Kyoto at Doshisha. I told him, "I took a 5 hr ride through Hunter, Windham High Peak and Halcott Mountains the other day, but this, this is my dream ride."
Just fantastic!

You would like my write up on the 5 day trip I took to Hokkaido last year if you like this one. Hokkaido has officially became the B06Tang's "Most Fucking Kick Ass Place in Japan" title! I leave Japan next year and I'm already missing Hokkaido!

http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8284

Amazing pictures! Are statues like the ones in the pics pretty much everywhere in Japan?

You see them around quite a bit but keep in mind that the two most dominant religions in Japan are Shintoism and Buddhism...and then Christianity.

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I am glad you guys are digging this. Next week I am taking a "mini" tour and will be gone only 2 or 3 days as I'm heading out on the other side of Aomori prefecture to the west coast side of it and see what it looks like into the Sea of Japan. I'm going at it solo and will be a bike and tent type of thing...I'm not even going to look for a camp ground....just find a cool place on the coast of the Sea of Japan and stop when I'm tired to sleep.