Tire change tools?

MattRat

TT Racer
So I need new tires soon - haven't pulled my own tires - Aside from a Jack, what tools do I need?

DavidC

Rocker
Pry bars made for a motorcycle, but I tried it a few times - no more - major PITA if you ask me. Have the cycle shop do it while you have a beer, you'll be happier!
But - you're probably going to do it yourself, so good luck!

I have changed many tires in my day and I have pinched many of tubes.
Like Dave said it is a real pain in the ass.
You need at least 2 irons, the more tires you do the better you get at it.
But, it is not an easy job trying not to scratch the chrome and not pinch the tube.
It is well worth the $30.00 or so to have the bike shop do it for you.
They have the right tire changing equipment that makes there job much easier.

Bill

MattRat

TT Racer
sorry I misspoke - What tools do I need ro remove the wheels? I'm going to take them to a shop to have them mounted, but I'm not paying $100-$150 have someone unscrew the axle...(dealer quoted me 2 hours labor) I just want to know what size the nut is and if I need anything else special.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Tires

Whoa you scared me for a bit!! Tires NEED to be mounted by a qualified bike mech! You are only on these 2 wheels & thats it. Not every bike shop mech is always qualified! EG: Garage mate had his HD in the shop one morning (HD Dealer) to have the ft tire replaced. Took off to GF home 60+mi away. 1/2 way there, started to get a shimmy in the ft. Thought maybe the road (since tire new). A little further started to shake outa control! Went to pull off the Interstate on the shoulder & the ft tire shredded in pieces!! Lucky to be alive since he was going 75-80.The mech had twisted the tube when he put it in!!
Happenned to happen right next to another HD shop near his GF's home, so it didnt cost (luckilly his life!) or any $$. I let only 1 person do my tires & he doesnt work on bikes just cars (cept to friends)! He has been racing bikes 20+ yrs. Had a Honda shop fix a flat 1 time. The tire job was OK but they didnt pump the RR brake after, & when I left the shop & hit the RR brake- notta!
Tires are the MOST important thing to make sure is done RITE!! Only got 2.

Cat Daddy

Scooter
I've changed a bunch of tires over the years. I use a pair of Motion Pro tire irons and Goop hand soap for lubricant. No problems if you follow typical tube type tire procedure.

I'd rather my safety be in my hands than some shop mechanic. But that's just me.

MOSES

750cc
I think the rear axle is a 22mm. may have to take of the pipes first, I don't remember.

Mine (08) is 22/19 on the front with the 6mm allen. the rear is a 22 as well, a 6mm on the exhaust and take the rear pegs off to remove exhaust.

make sure you stap the bike to the jack good !

drlapo

Hooligan
hell I carry tire irons and a spare tube with me and have fixed many punctures on the side of the road, remeber center stands??
tubeless tires need only a can of that wonder goo or a very simple plug

Changing tires is part of the game

I'd rather my safety be in my hands than some shop mechanic. But that's just me.

I'm with you Cat Daddy.

I used to change / repair motorcycle tires regularly "back in the day" and can change tires on my bicycles in just a few minutes. When my Bonnie needed new rubber I looked into it and changed them. One long tire iron, 2 medium tire irons, some mild soap solution, some talcum powder and an eight foot and 1 foot 2X4 is all it takes.

The 2X4 is an addition made necessary by the tight "tubeless" beads being so tight. Blocking the wheel near a car and using the long 2X4 as a lever and the short one as the fulcrum / bead breaker works well. See

A lightly inflated, talced, tube will not twist.

Cycle gear will dynamically balance any wheel for free, whether or not you bought the tire from them.

Don't worry about it. Some of the bolts are 22mm, like the fork tube caps. And while you're getting that 24mm, get yourself a six-point 9/16 inch for the brake banjo bolts.

mikenva

Rocker
you need a 24mm and a 19mm .These damn new tires are a bitch to change with out a tire machine I pay to have them changed

You got that right Mike, They are a real pain in the ass and every thing else.
I bring the tire and rim to the shop and let them do it on the machine.
It is definitely worth the money to have them do it compered to the aggravation of doing it your self.
And believe me most every thing that I can do my self I will do but, getting
them damn tires off and on the rim are a real bitch.

Bill

FUCK!!! you guys confused me and I bought the 22mm instead of the 24...
pain in the ass...

Well, as mentioned above, you haven't seen a pain in the ass yet until you change the tires yourself, without scratching and dinking the rim and damaging the brake rotor. Hopefully, you're just going to remove the wheels with your 19mm and 24mm wrenches and have it done.