Surfboards on Motorcycles

hankmarx

750cc
Here is a website I was perusing;

http://www.surferpeg.com/

I would love to be able to take a surfboard to the coast from Austin [3 hours].
Has anyone used something like this? It looks like low speed only to me.
Maybe someone with more computer skills can post the pic of a Bonnie with a board.:c

koifarm

Hooligan
It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for carrying a board.....I started thinking a bit and realized that by in large, boards are aerodynamic to a certain degree and at times could be considered a "wing" like structure. So, considering you will be at cruise speed on the bike, if the surfboard could be harnessed from the front and simply towed behind the bike in mid air. It should float tucked in behind the bike just fine, of course it should be far enough behind the rider so as not to be affected by the burble caused by the riders body. Understandably you would have to make a quick takeoff from a stop so as not to drag the board on the pavement. Stops should be fairly easy, a good quick panic type stop would cause the nose of the board to tuck itself securely between the riders butt and the seat thus saving it from any abrasions. I'd also think that the more experienced you get towing the board you should be able to release it easily by cleverly farting at the correct time and thus easily overcoming any asphalt dragging on take off.
It's just a thought of course....

KingBear

Hooligan
Here's one I posted a few months back. Seems like surf bikes are becoming fashionable...

:rockon: Okay, this is just too cool. Ride your bike, carry your board, and fend off motorists all at the same time. I might worry about the aerodynamics at high speed, though.

Read about it at Bless This Stuff.

surf-bike-by-deus-customs-111742-530-359.jpg

KingBear

Hooligan
And while we are on the topic of vehicles for fun at the beach, here's one that just hit the wires. I want one. NOW!
Volkswagen-Buggy-Up-1.jpg

Read about it on Uncrate.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Here is a website I was perusing;

http://www.surferpeg.com/

I would love to be able to take a surfboard to the coast from Austin [3 hours].
Has anyone used something like this? It looks like low speed only to me.
Maybe someone with more computer skills can post the pic of a Bonnie with a board.:c

What about crosswinds, getting hit by a heavy crosswind and being pushed 4' off your line is bad enough but strapping a board on the side and being blown 7' across the road into the path of an on coming vehicle. Try carry the board along the beach on a slightly windy day and see what it is like even worse an 8' or more mal. I reckon a ute (Pick up for the rest of the world) is the best mode of transport for carrying the boards but if the bike is a must then fit a side car and jam the board in there and I reckon that would look cooler than a big set of ugly bars sticking out from the side of the bike.

Mike M

Scooter
I used to take my board on my 1960 BMW with a sidecar all the time, I made some foam cushions cut to match the board and side car mounts and a few bungees and viola! it worked great.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Just Ride More, screw surfing, after a while all y'all will forget you ever had such an idea! Sand rubbin between your ass cheeks, nads and the hot black seat ain't to much fun either. But, riding past a bikini covered stretch of sand, extremely good!
But still, that sidecar idea is pretty cool, as it can always be used to carry a cooler full of cold beer and the chicks alway dig riding motorbikes and drinking beers.

hankmarx

750cc
Sidecar it is, and that will have to wait. I went surfing again today and it's just a long damn way. I have surfed a lot less since i started riding more. You do get some of the same benefits from both, the whole living in the "now" thing. But you need to be in a lot better shape to surf than ride, and right now I'm hurtin'.

Sidecar it is, and that will have to wait. I went surfing again today and it's just a long damn way. I have surfed a lot less since i started riding more. You do get some of the same benefits from both, the whole living in the "now" thing. But you need to be in a lot better shape to surf than ride, and right now I'm hurtin'.

Im in the exact same boat...and I always seem to be at the track. Prior to motorcycles I was a total surfer...surfing almost everyday...sometimes twice in one day.

Mike M

Scooter
I can see the board racks, but a 3 hour drive for surf in Texas? It's bad enough here in Florida, but we do get some decent surf fairly often. Every time I was near the Gulf it was flat city.

sportyone

Street Tracker
Here's one I posted a few months back. Seems like surf bikes are becoming fashionable...

I sure would worry about the decent cross winds we get on our freeways though ?

sometimes it's hard to keep the bike vertical let alone one with a surf board along side ! :bug: :eeek:

Twodogs

Street Tracker

Have you got Lakes in Austin?? If so get a jet ski and put Triumph Badges on it, sort of a combo compromise. When you get board of riding it get a mate to ride it and you can scurf behind. When I was younger and surfed a lot but also wanted to ride I would leave boards at different spots along the coast, it pays to have parents and mates parents with caravans on site and to know the clubbies (Life savers). I only lived two hours away but nothing worse then driving all the way to the coast to have shit surf when you thought I could be at home riding, so riding down for a day on the bike and having shit surf was not so bad but to ride down and have great surf what a pisser....but not when you have a board or three stashed around the place.....oh fuck forgot me boardies!!!!!

Crispy

Scooter
Im in the exact same boat...and I always seem to be at the track. Prior to motorcycles I was a total surfer...surfing almost everyday...sometimes twice in one day.

I was a daily surfer when conditions allowed for it here on Long Island for the last 15+ years. Then I had kids. Then it was when conditions were perfect cause id rather be with them than in slop. Then I bought the bonneville for a daily commuter. I surfed just 1 perfect day this fall.

The bike totally fills in that gap in my life which was void from lack of surfing.