Suggestions--cheap mods

Hey all,

Ive got the mod bug, but Im on a limited budget. My creativity is running thing and I need some suggestions for cheap and/or DIY mods I can do to my 2007 Bonneville.

So far I have done:

DIY mirror mounts to use OEM mirrors on ends of handlebars

DIY holes in chain guard

painted the Triumph logo on the back of my seat yellow

(edit)painted the Triumph logo on the tank badge yellow

(edit) painted the Triumph logo on the handlebar bracket

Changed the 2 bolts on the back of my seat so I can use a flat head screw driver

Chopped rear fender

Put $7 spools on the rear shock to use as luggage spools

Put a watch on the handlebars so I can tell time.

(about to do): Hedge's 8-ball choke knob. May also do the Her Majesty's pin on the original choke knob or get a chicken so I can "choke the chicken"

(waiting for) will change the lights on the tach and speedo to green LEDs.

(plan on): changing the idiot lights to LEDs

Please throw out some suggestions for me.

Last edited:

AceT100

Rocker
I removed the rear foot pegs and the seat strap as well as painting the seat & handlebar clamp logo's.

Deano

Two Stroke
what sort of paint

what sort of paint did you use to paint the seat logo????
Also, I am thinking of adding a pedestrian slicer (front number plate) as a cheap mod on my scrambler. Thinking of writing 'Bonneville TR9C' on it.
A friend has been painting lots of his chrome, like indicators and mirrors etc black. Looks good actually.

Last edited:

adrianwhipp

Two Stroke
"DIY mirror mounts to use OEM mirrors on ends of handlebars"

Any pics of that?

I'm on a cheap mod quest myself. Drilled the airbox, removed the front fender from its brace, stripped the forks, AI removal, Horn relocate (under tank), Regulator/rectifier relocate (under seat), ignition relocate (bolted onto the two holes in the head tube brace) etc..

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
Plastichrome strip down the center of the gas tank?
NBR or Ace Cafe sticker?
Roll the stock bars back a few inches?
$20 hooker in the pillion?

D9

Vendor
tooblekain... looked for some pics of your bike, couldn't find any. One nice mod IMO is getting the thruxton front turn signal bracket and lowering the turn signals - the bracket is around $8... changes the look of the bike. Chopping all four stock turn signals is another hacksaw/drill/grind DIY mod... another slight improvement over stock. Bob the front fender... paint the stock speedo cup and indicator housing black, looks better than the almost-but-not-quite-black plastic pieces. Krylon Fusion is a pretty good black for plastic. The chrome plastic turn signal lamps can look good in black as well, but you'd have do the tailight housing
as well...

If you ever get tired of the dog-bone handlebar clamp... can be cut apart, filed, sanded, refinished for a pretty cool retro look - example in the pic was done by Ramarro from the triumphchepassione forum... he DIY'd the handlebar clamp, speedo set up, and the indicator lights in the headlamp... an excellent job!

Ramarro1img1668a.jpg

Another thought... if I still had my stock mufflers, I'd definitely think about putting the "blunt" treatment on 'em...

http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5205

And another... drill some holes in the sprocket cover... or one big hole... or get creative...

ammocan006.jpg

picture.php

special-gennaio-2008-thruxton4.jpg

Have fun!

Last edited:

Easy13

Street Tracker
I gotta pitch in with BonnieBlack: Ditch the AI and snorkel, pick up a UNI filter(excellent filter and dirt cheap), punch out those stock mufflers and rejet(cheap as well).

These are the easist of the lowbuck mods and that first ride will plant a bigass high-dollar grin on yer face. Next we'll tell ya about inexpensive UNI pod filters and how to chop up that nasty 'ol airbox...

pattybilt

Scooter
I lowered my bike about an inch in the front by simply cutting the spacers in the fork, supposedly cutting any more than an inch is not recommended. The rear I lowered about and inch and a half by pulling the stock coil overs apart and cutting the springs down. The bike handles much better! Pulling the rear coils apart takes some ingenuity, I actually built a tool utilizing a floor jack to compress the coil enough to get to the bolt on the underside of the cast aluminum top cap, from there its easy as pie.

"DIY mirror mounts to use OEM mirrors on ends of handlebars"

Any pics of that?

I'm on a cheap mod quest myself. Drilled the airbox, removed the front fender from its brace, stripped the forks, AI removal, Horn relocate (under tank), Regulator/rectifier relocate (under seat), ignition relocate (bolted onto the two holes in the head tube brace) etc..

Plastichrome strip down the center of the gas tank?
NBR or Ace Cafe sticker?
Roll the stock bars back a few inches?
$20 hooker in the pillion?

Seriously guys, you are all awesome. I'll give those suggestions some thought. I do have the $20 hooker called my girlfriend covered...however she prefers to ride her own bike than ride bitch :headbang2:

I'll be sure to take pictures of my bike as well so you can all see what Ive done. D9..thanks for the suggestion on the front sprocket cover. I'll definately be doing that. The thruxton turn signal plates is an excellent idea as well.

Sorry to sound dumb, but Ive never dealt with carbs until now. How do you go about rejetting and what not? I do have the Haynes repair manual...maybe it has something on there on how to do it.

As always, everyone please chime in

BonnieBlack

Scooter
Sorry to sound dumb, but Ive never dealt with carbs until now. How do you go about rejetting and what not? I do have the Haynes repair manual...maybe it has something on there on how to do it.

If you open up the airflow through the carbs by changing the air intake side or on the silencer end, you need to change the jets inside the carbs to make sure you don't run too lean. Dinqua's site at http://dinqua.com/Triumph/carbs0.html has an awesome walk through. Find the Jenk's Bolts re-jetting guide if you want lot's of detail.

You said cheap, not easy ;) But re-jetting is easy and fun to mess with if you're into that sort of thing.

Edit: Jenks Bolts tuning guide is at http://www.triumph-bonneville.com/images/Carb%20Jetting%20Info%202007.pdf

Last edited: