Suggestion - Tech Archive

Oxblood

750cc
As all this tech floats in I think we should consider adding a tech section ala the H.A.M.B. With properly formated titles it makes finding out how to do something months sometimes years later much easier. Also it saves alot of very useful information as members come and go that might have had a unique but very effective method that may be lost in newer discussions. The archive is used by sorting the forum by thread title wich brings up the listings catagorically.

--Oxblood

Pokeyjoe

Scooter
I was thinking the same thing this morning. I don't really mind digging through Bonnie posts for info on my Scrambler, but the bikes are almost the same. A twin is a twin is a twin, so to speak. A common tech forum would be helpful.

Bonafide

NBR founder
well, maybe in the future ... but right now there very limited tech info here for me to archive - heck most of them are still contain active discussions.

BTW, the tech area threads do not expire and remain searchable. Meaning, USE THE SEARCH feature and you'll probably find what you're looking for. Ace Cafe and Classifieds threads expire after being dormant for so long.

Pokeyjoe

Scooter
OK, but I want to post a new thread about shims and jets. If I put it in the Scrambler forum, it may get missed by someone that owns a Bonnie and the experience to help me out.

Bonafide

NBR founder
The only way it would be missed by a Bonnie owner is IF he didnt use the search features correctly.

I'd suggest putting it in the Scrambler area if you're working on a Scram.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Its there. We'll see if it gets any hits.

well sir .. you asked a tech QUESTION that relates directly to the Scrambler and it's exhaust. You put it exactly where it should be - and I dont think you understand the original idea with this thread suggestion (archives).

If your question does not get the 'hits' you want, then maybe you should think about diaing in your bike on a dyno with a mulitude of jets and shims ... then report back to your thread with fact based advice to help out the next guy. :)

Pokeyjoe

Scooter
I realize someone was addressing an archive before, but I need help. The answer would be info for the archive, btw. If no one sees the post, no one answers the post. No archive of information.

I don't appreciate being told to go find a dyno. So far, I've been doing really well without one. I guess I'm just old school.

Good luck with your forum.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I don't appreciate being told to go find a dyno. So far, I've been doing really well without one. I guess I'm just old school.

Good luck with your forum.

yeah .. not wanting to use a dyno to tune your ride correctly? that's not called old school, that's stubborn ignorance. What you've done well so far is ask OTHERS to do the research for you.

Exactly how do you think they come up with factual tech advice? Sit under a shade tree out back and guess which jets to use? Go twist it down the road while using their butt-o-meter? Use your head for something more than a place to set your hat.

Bonafide

NBR founder
As you know, a thread that becomes inactive will eventually fall off the end of the topic listing.
An annotated message within the thread could also preserve it to the TECH section automatically before it gets loped off.

The wrench icon is an idea for sure. I'll see if it's something that can be written into here.

Once again, the TECH areas do not go anywhere. Those threads do not expire or get purged. The Ace Cafe and the Classifieds do - they will be purged after so long of being dormant. The TECH areas stay alive no matter what and THEY ARE SEARCHABLE. Yeah, that SEARCH FEATURE is a seriously valuable part of this particular forum program. Give it a try.

TECH is a valuable resource, just as having unencumbered free speech is, we should strive to preserve it tenaciously.

I know this. ;)

Oxblood

750cc
Wow, didn't know what I was starting here when I threw this up. The only reason I like a structured tech archive over the search feature is sometimes when you're searching for something you don't hit the exact right phrase to pull up what your looking for. Both are tools do do the same thing that work better than the other in certain situations.

--Oxblood

Last edited:

Pokeyjoe

Scooter
yeah .. not wanting to use a dyno to tune your ride correctly? that's not called old school, that's stubborn ignorance. What you've done well so far is ask OTHERS to do the research for you.

Exactly how do you think they come up with factual tech advice? Sit under a shade tree out back and guess which jets to use? Go twist it down the road while using their butt-o-meter? Use your head for something more than a place to set your hat.

No need to get rude. So far this forum is all about the f bomb and girls. I was trying to use it as a resource. The whole idea of a tech archive is to share information others have learned (even off a dyno). That's all I was trying to do, but this forum doesn't have enough history yet. I don't know why you're getting bent about it.

NEPatriots9

Scooter
Whats wrong with the f bomb and girls.

Serioulsy, give Bonafide a break, this forum is about 11 days old, in due time, in due time...

Bonafide

NBR founder
Thing about the SEARCH feature is it doesn't look inside at thread content, only the headers.
So, some little morsel of wisdom gets lost in a roll off- if the wrench thing isn't there.

actually, it does. there's a option of searching THREAD or POST. Thread is the title - post is the individual replies. :cool:

Bonafide

NBR founder
No need to get rude. So far this forum is all about the f bomb and girls. I was trying to use it as a resource. The whole idea of a tech archive is to share information others have learned (even off a dyno). That's all I was trying to do, but this forum doesn't have enough history yet. I don't know why you're getting bent about it.

Hmm .. I'm not bent nor was I being rude. I can be rude if you like. Just push the reply button and keep being an ass.

as for this site being all about the word FUCK and pictures of TITTIES? ... you saying that like it's an insult? If so, maybe you should stay on rat.net - they're needing help with their member count and jet sizing.

The_Dog33

Scooter
You can dial your bike fairly well if you can read plugs, although with the unleaded these days it isn't as clear as with the old leaded gas. Once you get it close then the best thing is to dyno it so you get you best indication of air fuel mix at any given throttle position thus knowing what to tweek. Only make 1 change at a time if it isn't the right change you know what to fix. If you do more than 1 you won't know what was right and what was wrong. You can also get a sensor to put in your pipe for about $250 with an air fuel mix gauge and really know. You would need to weld a bung in your exhaust for this but you can't get any more accurate, maybe too accurate.

Bonafide

NBR founder
You know, I was only trying to understand your train of thought. You sounded like you were getting upset and angry.

Now I'm getting threats. I guess I don't understand anything at all. Maybe you're right. I don't fit in here at all.

whatever dude. go cry somewhere else, will ya? there will be no hand holding and back pattin here. I get it, you dont like the site cause we're not doing it exactly how you want us to. you dont communicate well and you walked in a suggestion thread and started a new topic (bad forum ettiquette), but ya know what? I dont care. go somewhere else or stay here ... but if you keep up the whinning and asking people to do YOUR research for you, I'll start yelling FUCK and TITTIES a whole lot more. :eek: