Street Triple vs Street Triple R?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
I figure you guys would know so:

I am throwing around the idea of picking up a Street 3 to compliment the Bonneville. My question is, would an average rider like myself really feel/know the difference in ride quality between the ST and the STR? I know the R has upgraded brakes and suspension, but is it really worth the $$$. My local has both with the regular ST for about $2000 (or there abouts) less.

Thoughts / opinions?

Thanks.

dschief

750cc
I test rode a 2008 Street Triple when they first came out. I saw very little wrong with the bike other than the snatchy throttle at low revs, it was difficult to transition on/off throttle smoothly especially on a bumpy road. I am not a racer, probably barely average rider, but the suspension and brakes seemed just fine to me. If the economy hadn't taken a crap, I would have had one in the garage already.
My $.02

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
I test rode a 2008 Street Triple when they first came out. I saw very little wrong with the bike other than the snatchy throttle at low revs, it was difficult to transition on/off throttle smoothly especially on a bumpy road. I am not a racer, probably barely average rider, but the suspension and brakes seemed just fine to me. If the economy hadn't taken a crap, I would have had one in the garage already.
My $.02

I've read lot of reviews saying that they finicky throttle makes for tiring/trying time in city traffic. Every pothole/bump would cause the hand to move, making the throttle respond.

dschief

750cc
I've read lot of reviews saying that they finicky throttle makes for tiring/trying time in city traffic. Every pothole/bump would cause the hand to move, making the throttle respond.

Yep, that's about the way it was. I guess the uprated suspension would make it smoother, but I can't comment on that as I haven't ridden the R model. Maybe that is the key to the upgrade?!?

drlapo

Hooligan
the throttle response on the Street Triple is noticably more abrupt than on the Speed Triple or the Daytona 675. my sons and I have one of each and the Street is the "hardest' to ride smoothly: you always want to GO!
we put a Daytona shock on the Street with a lighter spring and the suspension is fine
the brakes are more than adequete. and the paint is shiney not like the "R"

curezee

Street Tracker
I went in looking to buy the normal Street version. The dealer had a used R version that was less expensive so I opted for that. I do not regret the decision at all. That being said if I did not get the used R for less I would have went with the normal Street. But, I did my research and found the only differences between the Street and the R version are:

• The R has Daytona front forks

• The R has reservoir-type adjustable shock in rear

• The R has Daytona front radial brakes

• The R has different seat and seat cover (it IS softer and more comfortable IMO)

• The R has different paint colors and decals (All matte except the 2010 black)

• The R has different radiator

Hope this helps.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
FWIW, snatchey throttles on EFI bikes are pretty common across brands including the EFI bonneville. Remedy is proper tuning.
Shunting the O2 sensors with Power Commander and/or disable with tuneboy generally will give an EFI bike the same nice throttle response of a carbed bike. This is best workaround for a snatchey throttle which is mostly fueling due to an inadequate factory map(s). The ECU iterating between closed and open loop creates the snatchiness. EFI bikes are in closed loop using the O2 sensors for about 6% of initial throttle opening and discontinuity of transistioning to open loop fixed air and fuel tables is what causes throttle abruptness.
My view is if you love the bike, get it and then tune the throttle abruptness out.

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
But guys, most know the factory tunes especially with o2 feedback are pretty lame including the Tors and Arrow tunes on any of the bikes. If you want to tune out the snatchiness, disable O2 sensors via PC III or PC V or tuneboy.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Nope but each are readily available through Triumph aftermarket suppliers. There are group buys for tuneboys from time to time as well. Beauty of tuneboy is you can adjust the timing and change the rev limiter...not that you need to with the Street trip. Power commanders are about $300 wholesale and if you nose around the web should be able to find a custom map that matches your airbox and pipe mods if any. As mentioned, you can disable your O2 sensors with either controller which pretty much eliminates snatchiness for both the Street and EFI bonnie.

curezee

Street Tracker
Thanks for the information Speed3Chris. I will look into this option. I still have to say that once the arrow exhaust was fitted and the re-map took place it definitely lowered the snatchiness of the throttle by about 50%. Now with your suggestions if I could get rid of the other 50% things would be great. That being said I still find my ST-R very pleasurable to ride. Anyhow, thanks again for the information.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
my son's Street Triple has IXL cans on it and the TORS tune he notices no throttle "snatchiness" : it just wants to go!