Steve McQueen: what I like in a bike and why

EDG1911

Street Tracker
Steve McQueen: what I like in a bike and why

"Why does a movie star who just received $750,000 for making The Sand Pebbles for 20th Century-Fox spend his time cow trailing on a motorcycle? 'It's the clean smell of the desert in the morning. The satisfaction of setting up a rig and having it work perfectly in every way.'" 43 years ago Steve McQueen wrote a dirt bike comparison test for Popular Science. Here it is in its entirety.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/08/steve-mcqueen-what-i-like-in-a.html

:popcorn:

Attachments

• McQueen_PopSci_1.jpg
    McQueen_PopSci_1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0
  • McQueen_PopSci_2.jpg
    McQueen_PopSci_2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
  • McQueen_PopSci_3.jpg
    McQueen_PopSci_3.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0

ssjones

750cc
I had not read that before, thanks, some interesting insights. Two strokes were just coming in at that time and eventually booted the four-stroke machines from competition. Now the four stroke machines are back.
I like how Steve knew the Rickman frame was $400 and you could get junkyard parts to put a bike together. I don't think today's Hollywood stars think that way....

mark66

TT Racer
Thanks for posting.....I enjoyed reading the article. Being a movie star was a way to make money for him but riding motorcycles and going fast was his passion.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Steve's son was on Speed the other day and taking delivery of a bullet Mustang replica.
His kid looks a lot like his dad and like his dad has the same casual cool persona and motorhead passion.
Steve McQueen was simply the man and like Newman had a need for speed. :)

Last edited:

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
1mcq.jpg