Steet Triple coming from Bonnie....

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thought I would ask the triple collective what they think? I am giving casual consideration to trading in my bonny for a bit higher performance bike. I really don't want to throw 2 grand at BB kit, better cams etc. Its cool for those that do. I just don't see why not buy a higher performance bike if that's what you want...lighter, better handling and more power. The bonny should be fast enough for street riding and almost is really. I don't need or even want a liter sport bike. I don't want to lean over that much either, or at least to a sport bike level. I tested the Speed triple and likely wouldn't use all the power of that bike. Enter the Street triple. Gotta give Triumph credit for offering such a great diversity of fantastic bikes. To me the new bonneville isn't the natural evolution of the old bike...rather the Street trip is with over 100 hp which is one of the stronger mid displacement bikes in particular due to its low weight. Over one hundred horses at the crank on a light bike feels good even if you have to spin the motor to get it.

So who among us has made the switch from perhaps a latter day bonnie to the new Street triple? I believe the riding position is pretty close to the bonny with rearsets. The Street is also a great value in motorcycling. Basically a detuned Daytona without fairings, more upright and more low end grunt due to milder cams.

Just thinking about it. I find I am always riding my bonnie with throttle wide open and would like a bit more horsepower and lighter weight.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
Do it! I'm getting one or the other once I start my career, no sure which one yet. Probably the S3 as I can justify the purchase by pretending that i can tour with it

I ride both a Daytona 675 and a Bonneville. Ive ridden the Street Triple before.

The ergos on the Street Triple are still a little bit more aggressive than the Bonneville. It would seem it feels like a Bonnie with M-bars on.

The mid-range is phenominal! Sounds like the perfect bike for the needs/wants you're looking for.

Insurance costs should be about the same because the Bonneville and Street 675 are in the same classications of bike. Some insurance companies might be cheaper to insure the Street 675 because its lower on cc's.

If it were me, I would have both. But if you had to choose just one, looks the Street 675 is the better choice at the moment

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks a lot guys. Tooblekain, I appreciate you sharing your experience and in particular about insurance cost which shoots the Speed Triple into another stratosphere.
The Streetie just appeals to me on a number of levels. Triumph I understand did move the torque band down from the Daytona to a more usable RPM on the Street. My EFI bonnie is a great bike but no doubt for a bit more aggressive riding the Street is better.

Tooblekain...here's a bit of a curve ball to ask. Since the Daytona and Street for all intents share the same frame or very close...what are your thoughts about retrofitting Moto bars a la Street and Street footpegs to replicate the riding position of a Street on a Daytona? Lots of Daytonas are out there and maybe the fairing would come in handy for higher speed riding unless you feel the fairing would lose its effectiveness if riding a bit more upright? Can you have your cake and eat it too in other words? :)
Last question is...is the Daytona in a higher insurance bracket than the Street 3?
Many Thanks.

I sold a Street Triple to get my T100. Except for loosing that bang in acceleration I'm very happy. One thing to remember is the ride height. I'm only 5' 8" and on the T100 I can flat foot, on the Street Triple it was toes on the ground. Also the pillion position on the Street Triple is crap, ask my wife, she loves the T100.

LINDY

Two Stroke
Tooblekain...here's a bit of a curve ball to ask. Since the Daytona and Street for all intents share the same frame or very close...what are your thoughts about retrofitting Moto bars a la Street and Street footpegs to replicate the riding position of a Street on a Daytona? Lots of Daytonas are out there and maybe the fairing would come in handy for higher speed riding unless you feel the fairing would lose its effectiveness if riding a bit more upright? Can you have your cake and eat it too in other words? :)
I believe you would have to remove the front fairing to mount a set of Moto bars because of clearance issues. Even with the Daytona's stock set up, unless you really make an effort to tuck under the fairing you still get a pretty good wind blast when riding. Around town and in traffic most riders sit more upright to keep your head on a swivel.At least I did.

I have owned in this order, a Speed Triple, a Daytone 675, And now A FI Bonnie. By Far the Funnest and most Versatile was the Speedie. Wish I still had it. That being said I love my Bonnie more and more each day and just got back from a ride where I led a bunch of sport bikes on a nice spirited ride. Highest speed I have done on the bonnie:up: to date. {indicated 130 mph} . The Daytona Carves Corners like no other, plus has the all out performance as well. Each bike has its own purpose.

If you do go with a Street, I would recommend getting an R version. Esp. if you are of normal American male size. The stock Street suspension is very lite.
Good luck whichever way you go!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Many Thanks. Great to hear from those fortunate to have owned several great Triumphs to get a good perspective. I figured that carving a Daytona to replicate the Streetie riding position wouldn't likely be a good experiment as the fairing is designed for a lower handlebar height and then there is the clearance issue to the windscreen with the taller and wider moto bar if going there. When I tested the Speed 3 I thought the difference in riding position was quite dramatic compared to the bonnie. I didn't expect such a difference in fact. The pegs felt quite a bit higher and quite a bit more rearset by comparison. I am not plussed by a tall seat as I have long legs so no prob there. Lots of things make up a great motorbike and a matter of priority I guess. As I age, riding position is bit more important and who can fault how comfortable the longish wheelbase bonnie is?....wheelbase and longer rake also giving it its excellent straight line stability which of course makes it harder to turn. :) Tradeoffs and no doubt why tooblekain said it would be ideal to own both. I probably shouldn't make the switch. I ride my bonnie too fast and the bike has been fantastic and no doubt the added power of the Street would be too much to deny...another reason why I have ruled out the Speed 3...would definately lose my license riding that thing.
Thanks for all the great advice.

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I sold a Street Triple to get my T100. Except for loosing that bang in acceleration I'm very happy. One thing to remember is the ride height. I'm only 5' 8" and on the T100 I can flat foot, on the Street Triple it was toes on the ground. Also the pillion position on the Street Triple is crap, ask my wife, she loves the T100.
Wow...you went the other direction!
You make a strong statement for the grass isn't greener argument. I too take my g/f out for rides and she loves the bonnie so another consideration.
Doesn't sound like you are that bothered by losing the power of the Street.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Moggy

Scooter
Have you considered ...

Have you considered the classic T3 range,(T'Bird, or TBirdSport) these bikes are truly awesome and a well undervalued alternative. I wish they were still making them, with the 1050 they would ROCK!!!
When my T100 was written off, I could not afford a Bonny (effing Insuance Companies!)so I had to "settle" for a TBird. I would not go back, although I still like to ride the missus Bonny.

Thanks a lot guys. Tooblekain, I appreciate you sharing your experience and in particular about insurance cost which shoots the Speed Triple into another stratosphere.
The Streetie just appeals to me on a number of levels. Triumph I understand did move the torque band down from the Daytona to a more usable RPM on the Street. My EFI bonnie is a great bike but no doubt for a bit more aggressive riding the Street is better.

Last question is...is the Daytona in a higher insurance bracket than the Street 3?
Many Thanks.

If you go to the triumph675.net, look for the username "[FLUX]" he converted his Daytona 675 into an awesome ass street bike like no other....like total bareknuckled brawler. He did a very detailed write up. Based on his writeup and his ride results (which he he details both in writing) and still shots, he is very happy with the results. However what he did was very extensive that changed both the looks and the handling. The handling according to him is much better than a stock Daytona 675!!! This guys is very detailed oriented and very friendly guy. PM him and he can answer any of your questions.

If you decide to get a Daytona and bring it to Street form, you run into many more challenges than meet's the eye. One, for example is how to hide a lot of wires and the fuses that are directly underneath the fairings. Its doable, but a challange.

+1...the Street 675 seat height is lower than a Daytona 675, but higher than a Bonneville.

I believe you would have to remove the front fairing to mount a set of Moto bars because of clearance issues. Even with the Daytona's stock set up, unless you really make an effort to tuck under the fairing you still get a pretty good wind blast when riding. Around town and in traffic most riders sit more upright to keep your head on a swivel.At least I did.

I have owned in this order, a Speed Triple, a Daytone 675, And now A FI Bonnie. By Far the Funnest and most Versatile was the Speedie. Wish I still had it. That being said I love my Bonnie more and more each day and just got back from a ride where I led a bunch of sport bikes on a nice spirited ride. Highest speed I have done on the bonnie:up: to date. {indicated 130 mph} . The Daytona Carves Corners like no other, plus has the all out performance as well. Each bike has its own purpose.

If you do go with a Street, I would recommend getting an R version. Esp. if you are of normal American male size. The stock Street suspension is very lite.
Good luck whichever way you go!

+1...All in all, the best solution is to get the Street Triple R. You will have all the benefits of Daytona 675 suspension. I would then suggest to help with rider height and better handling to get [FLUX]'s ride height plates. It will bring it lower and effect the geometry slightly better. Also, depending on your weight, if you have the money get a rear shock for your weight. It was the best expensive mod I did. I would recommend the Elka 3 Way with the adjustable preload resevoir because then you can easily adjust the preload without tools should you have a passenger and want to do spiritied rides. Then once off, you can back it off. The 3 way adjusment will give you the ability to fiddle with high frequency dampening...which will be your bumps and what not on the road. For rearsets, I would go with the Gilles. You will have a ton of adjustabililty with them--go lower for a cruiser or go higher and back for a sportbike ergo. Hell, you can easily go GP shift too. If I were in your shoes, that is the route I would take.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks a lot guys for the great info. I need to get down to the dealer and test a Street Triple R. I am afraid if I do however, I will be getting out the checkbook. :)
Thanks again.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Do it! I'm getting one or the other once I start my career, no sure which one yet. Probably the S3 as I can justify the purchase by pretending that i can tour with it

Keep the bonnie!

:huh: Craigore, where you at dude? I'd say if the Bonnie ain't got enough grunt the Street Triple is the next logical progression. At least it's still a Triumph and ain't spittin' rice! But that's just me...

Of course another option is to street a sprint. That really appeals to me. Just wish i had the dosh.
But I have a feeling that if a banged up fairing one should come on market I may just do it.
But for me the Bon is forever.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Of course another option is to street a sprint. That really appeals to me. Just wish i had the dosh.
But I have a feeling that if a banged up fairing one should come on market I may just do it.
But for me the Bon is forever.
I test rode a Sprint just prior to buying my bonnie. I was frankly surprised by how aggressive the riding position is...and this was a '09 Sprint after Triumph had raised the stock handlebar height. Loved the grunt of the motor with the Sprint plus its a beautiful motorcycle and great for longer rides. The thing aside from old school charm of the bonnie that sold me was the riding position. Its possible the riding position of the Streetie is no more forgiving than that of the Sprint. I know there is some adjustability there with different bars and adjustable rearsets within a range so will have to ride one to get a better sense if the motor of the Streetie trumps the easy riding position of the bonnie for me.

drlapo

Hooligan
I have a Speed Triple. My sons have a Daytona 675 and a Street Triple
the Speed Triple is the easiest to ride; all that torque
the Daytona is fastest and the Street Triple is the most dangerous (to your license)

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I have a Speed Triple. My sons have a Daytona 675 and a Street Triple
the Speed Triple is the easiest to ride; all that torque
the Daytona is fastest and the Street Triple is the most dangerous (to your license)
dr,
A question please...
Of the Speed 3 and Street 3, which is closer to the bonnie standard riding position and has the most leg room?
Thanks.