Snorkelectomy

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
I am just about to approach my 2007 Bonneville with modifications in mind and spanner in hand. I bought the machine with Staintune pipes on it (very nice) and rejetted to suit (I guess).
I've read the posts regarding the airbox etc and am taking the first step by removing the snorkel and, from what I've read here, thereby improving the machine's breathing.
Is the snorkel able to be replaced if necessary and will I have to re-jet to accommodate the snorkel removal and the more free introduction of air?
Cheers,
:beer:

cafenoir900

VENDOR
Good move. Just uncerimoniously rib the bugger from your air box, no screw loosening or anything. It can be replaced almost as easily as it comes out. More than likely, no rejet needed, but you'll know if you need to, by the tell tale deceleration popping.

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
Aaaaah! I hate deceleration popping! I used to have that on my Enfield.
Thanks for the quick response, cafenoir, and I'll be ripping the thing out shortly.
:brit:

BonnieBlack

Scooter
Replacing the stock air filter a Uni foam one is another pretty cheap and trivially easy way to increase air flow on that side of the carbs, but not as cheap as pulling the snorkel :)

It sure would be nice to know what size jets were in there. They must have put some bigger ones in with the new exhaust.

jphickory

Banned
What is the purpose of the snorkel? Why does the factory install one if simply removing it helps the bike perform better? Help me in my ignorance please.:shh:

cafenoir900

VENDOR
What is the purpose of the snorkel? Why does the factory install one if simply removing it helps the bike perform better? Help me in my ignorance please.:shh:

Regulations, my friend, regulations... all part of emissions control. So, be green or be fast... it's a choice we all have to come to terms with. Personally, I don't feel the least bit guilty, although in my case I am, quite guilty....

Slinky

Scooter
and do we pull the snorkel on efi bikes?

I did, it did not seem to hurt anything but I put it back on because the filter is wide open to water ingress without it.

I did cut it down a lot though, removed the inner part completely and cut the outer at an angle to increase the inlet area.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
I did, it did not seem to hurt anything but I put it back on because the filter is wide open to water ingress without it.

I did cut it down a lot though, removed the inner part completely and cut the outer at an angle to increase the inlet area.

Slinky - care to show us a pic?

thanks

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
The Snorkelectomy was performed painlessly last week. I already had the AI removed and Staintunes fitted - with the snorkel removed the machine feels like I imagined it would before I bought it. It breathes beautifully and sounds fabulous at the top of the revs.

Slinky

Scooter
Snorkelectomy pics

This is what I ended up with. Prior to this I had an alloy bellmouth in a home-made adaptor. Just by changing to the cut snorkel the idle rpm increased by 100rpm or so, which suggests that it is breathing easier. I cut away all of the inside part of the snorkel- it seemed to me it would cut off access to most of the filter, and incoming air would be bouncing off of the closed end of the filter and causing a restriction. Just my theory..

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
Where is the baffle plate and is it easy to remove? Also, what is the reason for having a baffle plate in there in the first place?
:beer:

jhillier71

Street Tracker
This is what I ended up with. Prior to this I had an alloy bellmouth in a home-made adaptor. Just by changing to the cut snorkel the idle rpm increased by 100rpm or so, which suggests that it is breathing easier. I cut away all of the inside part of the snorkel- it seemed to me it would cut off access to most of the filter, and incoming air would be bouncing off of the closed end of the filter and causing a restriction. Just my theory..

thanks Slinky

This is the first mod I might do (i.e. putting in bellmouth with a K&N filter) to my 2010 Thruxton