Snorkel removal...

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Ok... I've been reading up on stripping out the Air Box etc but at this stage it's not something I feel confident in attempting.

My bike already had the 'Air Injection' something or other removed when I bought it but apart from that, I assume it's all stock.

My question is, would it be of any value whatsoever in simply removing the snorkel as that's something I've looked at and feel that even with my very, very limited mechanical knowledge, I could just about manage that little piece of surgery.

All thoughts welcomed!

Bonniebret

Rocker
LOL. By all means yes. I was like you when I got my bike. Besides tinkering with an old VW back in High School I had no mechanical experience.

Removing the snorkel was the first mod I did on my bike. Then I pulled the AI. Then it was putting on gaiters which was kinda scary because it involved pulling the forks off but since I had the tools and the torque specs I knew it would be alright. After that it was bars, NARK, exhaust, tweaking the carbs, chopping fenders, etc.

If you have the tools and the willingness to learn there's nothing you can't do. That said, know your limits too. If you really don't feel comfortable with something stop and ask questions. Were all here to help you.

No grab a screwdriver and go yank that snorkel. And when you're done with that go work on your bike. ;)

Will I have to re-jet if I remove the snorkel?

I would save the "re-jet" for another time. Like, when you change the exhaust or mod the air box. Eliminating the AI and pulling the snorkel is probably a "wash" as far as the jetting is concerned. You will still be lean, but it will not be lean enough that it could hurt something.

PieMan

Two Stroke
Our bikes come rich from the factory, so pulling the snorkel will put you where you want to be, anything other than pulling the snorkel will require a rejet.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
That is correct. They do that so they can pass emissions testing.

That would be Pieman's cue....

Seriously, aren't you guys tired of the same old threads yet? Just go back and read the ones from the past. Nothing new on this topic has been posted in roughly 2 years. Plenty has been posted, but nothing new.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Can you remove the snorkel on an EFI bike and get the same effect as a carbed bike? Or...should I just leave it alone?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Can you remove the snorkel on an EFI bike and get the same effect as a carbed bike? Or...should I just leave it alone?
I have had mine off my EFI bike several times. It doesn't make much difference other than being noticably louder. I keep the snorkel in to reduce intake noise...however its modified as shown below....internal section inside the airbox completely cut off. Roy, pull your restrictor plate if you decide to keep the airbox. Revising the snorkel as shown and removing the restrictor plate creates the intake sound I prefer..a bit less unbridled than stock but not as raw as pulling the snorkel and/or gutting the box. If you run loud pipes, then likely the sound of the intake matters less so no reason not to pull the snorkel other than maybe if you ride in a lot of rain...but that point can be debated as well. The snorkel is largely in place for all motor vehicles for sound abatement resulting in a slight restriction of airflow however an increase in air velocity.

As to mapping...opening the airbox influences A/F arguably more than changing pipes. At small throttle openings the EFI is adaptive...so A/F will adjust if you pull the snorkel. Not so with larger throttle openings which are a function of throttle position, load and fixed values. Best to reflash to a richer map if you open the airbox and change your pipes. If you take the airbox off, best to put a custom tune on the bike because it will run a bit lean without one.
HTH.

Attachments

• Snorkel Shorten Fully 1.JPG
    Snorkel Shorten Fully 1.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Just a quick update...

Removed the snorkel and took my baby out for a good run, taking in a bit of highish speed riding as well as a slow meander around town.

Returned home and put the snorkel straight back on.

Don't know if this has happened to other people, but my bike started 'flat spotting' at 4000 rpm. Fine up to then and fine at around 4500 and above, but a definite flat spot at 4000. Quite disconcerting actually to find the bike pulling well through the revs only to stop abruptly at 4000 and pick up again at 4500.

So unless anyone has an explanation, a solution and a damn good reason to remove it, I think I'll just leave well alone. I was perfectly happy with my baby before I removed the snorkel and now has me wondering why I wanted to remove it in the first place.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
So unless anyone has an explanation, a solution and a damn good reason to remove it.

1. You're getting more air, but you didn't rejet, so it's the same fuel, so you're leaned out right there and starved for gas briefly.

2. Throw in a shim on the needle and/or slightly drill the hole in the carb slide so that it gets past that flat spot faster, if you're rolling on slow, or if you've been snapping that throttle, rejet with one size up.

3. Because it sounds better, and because it's fun to fuck around with your baby to understand firsthand how all this stuff works, and because you will eventually pull the whole airbox even though you're likely to do it in really small increments in spite of plenty of advice to do it otherwise. Ask me how I know!

simpson

TT Racer
I have an airbox carve and rejet, yet I am flat-spotting around 4000-4750.
I am going to be shimming. Hope that's all it needs.

-simpson

I made this exact thread when I first got my bike.

Removing the snorkel is a no no without rejecting, and if you're rejecting you might as well take out the whole air box and put on some pipes.

Good luck man. Search my projects thread because I asked a lot of questions and got perfect answers. My dyno run proves how much these NBR dudes know.

I made this exact thread when I first got my bike.

Removing the snorkel is a no no without rejecting, and if you're rejecting you might as well take out the whole air box and put on some pipes.

Good luck man. Search my projects thread because I asked a lot of questions and got perfect answers. My dyno run proves how much these NBR dudes know.

Yeah, go on, reject that airbox!

Sorry, mate, couldn't resist ;). BTW, where to you buy your jects from?

Cheers,

Pikey.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I found that removing the snorkel made a noticable difference to performance.

machine seems to rev out more freely now

I also rejetted up to 115 and fitted one shim