Slim chance at a 1978 550 Four

Roger

Street Tracker
Got to talking with my good neighbour today. He is the landlord and his tenants are great people too. Discussed the broken old fence on our property line and our trees hanging over each other's properties. Fence can wait another year and we both like trees so nothing is going to be done at this time.

He was curious about our flower beds and I invited him over to our yard. That's when he spotted the Bonnie sitting in my yard. He was totally interested and asked all kinds of questions. This surprised me at first and then he told me he still has his 1978 Honda 550 sitting in his garage. This guy is older than me and he sure didn't look like a rider. He told me it hasn't ran in over 20 years now but he used to ride it quite a bit back in the day.

I immediately told him that the Honda was a bike that I would be interested in. He thought that you can't get parts for it any more. Told him honestly, that if the bike is complete there are still plenty of parts available and with a bit of work it can be made to run again. I just wanted to make sure that he knew that the bike is still worth something. He said that he is not interested in getting it running again and that if he decides to get rid of it, he will let me know first. There could be a sweet little Honda in my future. Here's hoping.

Oh ya! He sure did like my wife's flowers too. Turns out he is Dutch background and loves any flowers.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Thats pretty awesome mate. Stories like this make me believe that theres some good left in the world, sounds like your neighbor probably has some fantastic stories yet to tell.

Roger

Street Tracker
I'm going to have to talk to him a bit more about his riding history. I don't see him that often but what really surprised me was his genuine concern about how I felt about our properties and the maintenance that needs to be done. A real nice guy for sure.

He has a real good relationship with his tenants and from what I understand, his rates for rent are quite low in comparison to the norm here. If and when I find out more, I will post here for sure.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
sounds like a fruitful conversation for sure...

But there's always the condition problem. If it's sat for those many years it might be a parts bike and nothing more.

Roger

Street Tracker
sounds like a fruitful conversation for sure...

But there's always the condition problem. If it's sat for those many years it might be a parts bike and nothing more.

That's something that I have thought about. Could be a rough gem or could be a dead dog. I will just have to wait and see if something develops.

simpson

TT Racer
If it has a title it can be made whole again!

...but at what cost? Those Hondas are great bikes. I love my 1976 CB550F.

-simpson

Roger

Street Tracker
If it has a title it can be made whole again!

...but at what cost? Those Hondas are great bikes. I love my 1976 CB550F.

-simpson

My guess is that he has the title. What cost? Haven't really thought about that. At least this CB550 has not been mucked about with. The owner told me his sons are not interested in motorcycles. Should the bike come my way, all the better. Not holding my breath though, people do tend to get caught up in the moment and make suggestions that they quickly forget.

After looking around on the web for infos about this model Honda, it seems that they stopped building the CB550s in 1977. So my guess is that the owner forgot the real year of the bike. I'm thinking it's a 1976. That's even better :)