shims

Yeah, not cheap. However I believe its a common size shim with a lot of other bikes that are under the bucket. I think if you research which other brand makes and models of bikes you will be able to find them cheaper.

Luckily for me I only needed to change out 2 shims. The other alternative is to record and remove all of them and see if the existing shims from one bucket will bring you back to spec in another. I remember the 2 shims I replaced they were different thicknesses

drlapo

Hooligan
my local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealer tells me he can get OEM Triumph parts for me so I'll use Honda shims and Triumph gaskets and will not have to travel 50 miles to the Triumph dealer
a trip to the Triumph dealer is always dangerous as I often buy something (like another bike)

tribear

Street Tracker
my local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealer tells me he can get OEM Triumph parts for me so I'll use Honda shims and Triumph gaskets and will not have to travel 50 miles to the Triumph dealer
a trip to the Triumph dealer is always dangerous as I often buy something (like another bike)

:lol: Oh man, I know that tune. Yup, best to stay away from the dealer.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I paid about $6 each from my Triumph Dealer for the few I got, but I wound up just going to my local Honda dealer and he swapped out my used ones for the sizes I needed for FREE worth checking to see...

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Old thread dragging up, but my local british shop has fucked me for the last time. What model honda uses the same shims? I just want to order them and be done with the shit.

I don't know which model Honda's they're off of, but it's a standard 25mm shim I believe. I went to the service center at the Honda shop by me and the guy just swapped out shims at no charge :) I then bought a handful of shims from some guys here so that I have spares now.

One bit of advice, measure all of your shims prior to reinstalling them (even if you're not changing the shim) this way on your next valve check you can measure them and if you need to change some you can look to see what's there and actually get the shims before hand (next to no down time)

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Thanks man, yea everytime I do them i draw up a little diagram and keep it so i can quickly do the math and get it knocked out. Sadly I would have had no down time but the shop i called said they were in stock and they would hold the 4 i need. Show up, only one in stock and nothing set to the side. yay.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Thanks man, yea everytime I do them i draw up a little diagram and keep it so i can quickly do the math and get it knocked out. Sadly I would have had no down time but the shop i called said they were in stock and they would hold the 4 i need. Show up, only one in stock and nothing set to the side. yay.

That blows... I called my dealer and they didn't have what I needed, and actually ordered them to put on the shelf. I'd bet the local Honda shop will have them.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The ones that I know of:

Honda 1979-1983:
CB900 F&C
CB1000C
CB1100F

Honda CB750/900/1000

Yamaha:
FJ1200/1100
XT350/Venture
VMAX/Royal Star

I just ordered eight shims for the Creamsicle right out of the 1979-1983 CB750 manual from the Honda shop right outside the base. I don't want to hear anymore of price complaining because here in the land soak you until you bleed...I paid $9 a shim!! And that is a local Honda shop right out the base AND that was shopping around! I'm ready to get back!

I also made this worksheet up that helps me out a lot to keep everything organized. I put it on the "Bonnie Facelift" thread. The worksheet follows the equation A=(B-C)+D - Clearance is B, Medium is C and D is existing. Put all your numbers in the appropriate circle and then run the math. It's really good about keeping everything organized especially if you are like me and have a bike where all eight are out. Feel free to use if you like it:

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Thats flippin brilliant. Thanks mate. I ended up arguing with the dealer who told me the shim sizes were only in .1 not hundredths. went online sure enough got every size i needed. Assholes. I will never be going back. OH and the head on some of the bolts for the cam carrier stripped so i had to order those as well. I swear my bike is trying to avoid the summer heat!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I wish this freaking rainy season would get over with...it's really bad this year. I have everything ready to go except for a clear day to do the shim video. I know what you mean about those T30 bolts. One thing I always do to avoid stripping them is to use a four foot breaker bar. I put a step down on the breaker bar and then use the T30 socket. Even with the breaker bar there is pretty good tension...I know it would strip on me if I used just a regular short handled ratchet.

brass

Two Stroke
I just bought six Saturday. They listed for $11.49, but sold for $7.00.
When asked IF I could trade in (swap) my old ones (apperantly, this DOES happen often), they said "HELL NO!"

They showed me with a straight edge how mine were worn, with a concave shape where the Cam Lobe wears in the center, and NO WEAR at the edges, due to 23,000 miles of use. Then asked, "Can we sell you someone elses used, concave shims, even after determining the thickness?"

I sure as heck WOULD NOT accept used ones, with thousands of miles wear. Would you, cause I do have six used ones, and the thickness is marked in Sharpie on both sides.