Scotland's Vote for Independence

KingBear

Hooligan
I apologize in advance if this is to overtly political a topic to be discussed here, but as it affects so many of our members, I beg your forgiveness and indulgence...

As an outsider I have no compelling interest in the outcome of the vote in the UK today. I do have an opinion (which I will happily keep to keep to myself, no need to thank me), but what I find most interesting is the contrast between this and other "conflicts" taking place around the world. See, this is how civilized people do things. Do you see this, Russia? Thoughtful, civilized people with differing opinions and visions having a mature dialogue, and putting it to a fair and honest vote. No tanks, bombs, or commercial aircraft full of civilians being shot down.

Whatever the outcome of today's vote, I wish all our friends in the United (or not) Kingdom all the best. Choose wisely.

monty

Street Tracker
Well guys, we are still a United Kingdom.

As a Welsh man, I can identify with the Scots who want independence. However, if would come at a price. There are those in Wales who would wish the same for Wales. I am not one of those. I am proud to be British, but equally proud to be Welsh and grateful to be able to say I am not English.... ( with sympathy for those who are)
When I travel abroad I display a 'CYM' sticker on my bike, being a shortened version of Cymru (Welsh for Wales) rather than GB. ( it is a requirement in Europe to identify your country on your vehicle). I have red dragon, the emblem of Wales, on my helmut.
Wales has a regional government which has its benefits, but we are still responsible to London. Do I have a problem with that? No.
The turnout from the Scottish people to vote was massive, in some case 97% of people voted. It was a narrow decision with only about 500,000 in it. I would very much doubt if such a turn out would take place in Wales. I think we are less concerned about such things, certainly here in the South though Beicwr in the North may have a different view.

My other half is Czech. Up until 1989, Czechoslovakia was a communist country, occupied by the Russians, from 1968. When they left, Czechoslovakia was a independent country. In 1993 the country split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia and both countries are doing well. So life goes on as they say.

Personally, I like Britain as we are. Some things are best left alone. Scotland and Wales maintain their national identity within Britain itself. We both have our own language, traditions and probably the best biking roads in Britain.

What else do you need?

My apologies for rambling on.

Monty.

Demar

Two Stroke
Well guys, we are still a United Kingdom.

As a Welsh man, I can identify with the Scots who want independence. However, if would come at a price. There are those in Wales who would wish the same for Wales. I am not one of those. I am proud to be British, but equally proud to be Welsh and grateful to be able to say I am not English.... ( with sympathy for those who are)
When I travel abroad I display a 'CYM' sticker on my bike, being a shortened version of Cymru (Welsh for Wales) rather than GB. ( it is a requirement in Europe to identify your country on your vehicle). I have red dragon, the emblem of Wales, on my helmut.
Wales has a regional government which has its benefits, but we are still responsible to London. Do I have a problem with that? No.
The turnout from the Scottish people to vote was massive, in some case 97% of people voted. It was a narrow decision with only about 500,000 in it. I would very much doubt if such a turn out would take place in Wales. I think we are less concerned about such things, certainly here in the South though Beicwr in the North may have a different view.

My other half is Czech. Up until 1989, Czechoslovakia was a communist country, occupied by the Russians, from 1968. When they left, Czechoslovakia was a independent country. In 1993 the country split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia and both countries are doing well. So life goes on as they say.

Personally, I like Britain as we are. Some things are best left alone. Scotland and Wales maintain their national identity within Britain itself. We both have our own language, traditions and probably the best biking roads in Britain.

What else do you need?

My apologies for rambling on.

Monty.

Excellent explanation. I'd say you gave us the full monty in that post.

Mr.Noisy

Scooter
English and proud

I'm English, however, I always say that I am British first and if pushed, I will say English.

I have got some Welsh and Scottish in me too (and no, I wouldn't like any more! ;-) )

I am VERY proud to be British, for what we have done in the past, for the good, and in what we have done together and what we will do in the future together.

Well done Scottish types for not splitting us up. Thank you. Cheers.

I'm also happy that the UK is still the UK. The last thing that Europe needs is more small countries. :brit:

Currency would have been a problem, given that the use of the pound was declined by London, and the use of the euro is not allowed. :scotland:

The US has been able to stay together since the Civil War due to the high degree of autonomy that the individual states have. Hopefully this will work for Scotland too.

DandyDoug

750cc
Actually she said very little publicly as far as i read or heard, but I do understand she stated that she hoped Scotland would remain part of the UK to members of the family and her personal entourage.
Got this tid bit from watching the BBC news :brit_tit:

drlapo

Hooligan
with all the "aid" Scotland receives from the UK it would not have been a good move
I heard that 3 of 5 Scots are on the dole; is that true?

News from Britain: The Scots will stay in the Union, but only for a bigger welfare check from the English taxpayer…

Last edited:

Motley

750cc
News from Britain: The Scots will stay in the Union, but only for a bigger welfare check from the English taxpayer…

Must've been an English news source. :nono: It's not like the English are the only ones paying taxes.

thistle66

Scooter
However, each Englishman is subsidising the scots £1700 a year...

Completely wrong.

Someone needs to read up more and not just the Telegraph and daily mail headlines...

On average UK spending is around £1,200 higher per person in Scotland than in the UK as a whole. That's one side of the coin. What's the other?...

...On average Scotland pays £1700 more per person to the UK in taxes. IOW Scotland gets back around 70% of the money sent to London.

read more, think more. Don't just get suckered by an inflammatory headline from the typical rags.

edit: There has been more tax generated per person in Scotland than the UK in every single year in the past 32 years.
I found all this just with some quick googling.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Hey there fellow NBR's……….lets "shut down" on the politics here. We will leave this thread "as is" unless you guys ramp this up anymore.
Back to Triumphs, riding and beautiful woman.
Thank-you,
LMT