sad day that I never thought I would see happen

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I cannot express how pissed I am. I did a thread about 12 months ago titled you never know writing about how I rode my bike to work for one last time on a beautiful Autumn Saturday morning and then Suffered a seizure 3 hours later after arrival. I then went up to the local hospital which picked up a shadow in the head with a cat scan then they sent me to see some Brain doctors in a bigger hospital who kept me in hospital for a week and putting me on anti seizure meds and doing some MRI's and I was told no more riding or driving for the next 6 months and then I was then sent home without really being told what was wrong or what it was that was in my head but after about 6 weeks on the anti seizure drugs and feeling like shit(fatigue and no ability to comprehend numbers of more then 8 digits which is basically what my job evolved around ) and also experiencing double vision I was back in hospital and then an MRI later I was being admitted then being told that they'll be operating in two days that what is in my head has doubled in size in the 6 week period since the last MRI classing it as very aggressive. (During all of this I tried to think positive about the whole deal thinking not to sell the bikes but just getting pleasure from owning them and personally try keeping them well basically, serviced and dusted after the operation and having been told nothing before I was told that I had a type 4 gbm brain tumour which was terminal which really knocked me on my arse because before the operation I new nothing prior to the operation normally there are pre op consultations based on tests carried out MRI's etc. But I had been told by the local hospital that the cat scan that what was there looked benign. I have now had two operations in the past twelve months (one to remove the initial tumour the second to remove the remaining amount of tumour that was still growing and causing degeneration of my left side as it was occurring and becoming weaker especially in the hand I was getting to the stage where I could not even pull the clutch in and my balance was starting to become hopeless this combined with poor clutch control made it feel like learning to ride a bike again for the first time. After the second operation I had absolutely no movement on my left side,leg, arm or hand to move my foot was so hard and to raise my knee the bed sheet felt like that it weighed 100kg. Slowly I regained movement to my leg making it possible to walk with the aid of the two OT therapists I have been home from hospital for about a month now and go walking unassisted every day doing about 1.2klm's now and I am also going to physio sessions every day concentrating on getting the left sideworking speech, arm and hand working but to cut a long story short when I mentioned to the OT therapist at the otherdays session that I like to ride bikes he just smiled and looked at me and said that will be years off( the brain doctors have basically put me on a 6 year list, so it may be worth it to see it through with a positive outlook to get back on a bike). So reality has sunk in and the regrettable decision has been made to sell my bikes. I don’t know if I jinxed myself because In one thread I made the comment about these my bikes being so good and enjoying them so much that they are definite keepers but something bad would have to happen before I parted with them. I am at a stage now where my left arm has no movement but just hangs loose tomy side. I was really hoping to keep the Thruxton to pass onto my boy but I have recently found him to be very (without airing too much of my dirty laundry out) unappreciative.My Thruxton and T100 have both been done up to a very high standard and recently I gave him what is classed as a rare car in Australia to do up and when asked to do some jobs again because they are just not to a decent standard. I am just basically fobbed off and he won’t do it and I find it quite frustrating because I cannot do it with only one arm working. I do have a brother in law who recently assisted with servicing the bonnie for me at I had to turn my back a couple of times as I was unsure which end the nut was on the spanner at times. So I have to express again to every rider out there ride when you can because you never know what may happen. Once the bikes are gone I hope to keep on the site to see what ideas some of the creative owners can come up with hopefully it won't be years and I will prove him wrong and Triumph over this crap but if I can eventually throw a leg over again I think I may have mentioned this a million times. There will be a tiger in the shed

DandyDoug

750cc
Wow, what a mess this turned out to be.
I hope you can maintain a positive attitude through all this and get as fit as you possible can.
God Bless,
Doug

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Find something to keep your positive focus and don't falter from that. If it is riding a bike once again...then so be it and continue on. Screw what anyone says and keep the bikes! Even polishing them down can give you some activity and strengthen your resolve. Remain positive and find that something you fight for. Doesn't matter what it is just so it works for you.

Skeeter

Rocker
im sorry to hear this. this hits home for me, being 29 and having seizures. mine seem to be under control but ive had to go periods of time with out riding the bike due to having a seizure and me choosing not to ride. luckily the neologiest has never taken my license away like some dr do. the brain is a crazy thing, one minute youre fine and the next youre waking up from a seizure. but it can also heal quick and get better. im sorry to hear you need to sell them and your son will not be taking on your passion. keep us updated and good luck

monty

Street Tracker
Don't sell the bikes Two Dogs.
Bikes, the whole gig about being a biker make us what we are.
We turn our heads automatically when we hear a bike no matter what we are doing.

Yes it will be a while but you will get there.

Many years ago a good friend of mine broke his back. He was told he would have difficulty walking let alone ride a bike. He was told to forget it. He lost the use of his lefy arm.
He now rides in a full body support and an arm brace. He is a despatch rider in the week and gets the Ducati 848 out on the weekend.

This will come good.

Monty

I agree w/ monty... Don't sell the bikes Twodogs.

The brain is an amazing machine which is capable of generating new pathways within. I work in Physical Therapy and hate it when doctors tell patients they will never be able to ... ever again.

The fact that you got your walking back in one month is pretty dam fast recovery in terms of neuro rehab. Be patient my friend and continue to work your ass off.