RPM's @ 100kms(60mph)

tg8058

Scooter
Hi,
I haven't had a bike under 900cc's for nearly 30yrs, last time I rode was on a 1100 yammy over 10yrs ago. I got my 07 Speedie last week and I feel like I should have a 6th gear!!! Bike sits nicely in 5th at 100kms/60mph, doesn't feel like it is working hard and is quick on the uptake if I give the throttle a tickle, but at 100 it is sitting on 3400 rpm's is this usual?? Cheers

mrt202

Street Tracker
Perfectly normal to hunt 6th gear on these bikes for...well...forever! I've put 55000 miles on mine and STILL hunt 6th regularly!

phil

Street Tracker
Hi,
I haven't had a bike under 900cc's for nearly 30yrs, last time I rode was on a 1100 yammy over 10yrs ago. I got my 07 Speedie last week and I feel like I should have a 6th gear!!! Bike sits nicely in 5th at 100kms/60mph, doesn't feel like it is working hard and is quick on the uptake if I give the throttle a tickle, but at 100 it is sitting on 3400 rpm's is this usual?? Cheers

hey mate! my 2010 bonnie se does the same on the highway, it doesn't sound like its working very hard and its still want to keep going.

tg8058

Scooter
Thanks for that, it's nice to know I'm not going mad...make that completely mad, it's nice to have a little bit in there!!!*s*
Have a good one....

RonL

Scooter
Some folks swap out the front sprocket for one that's a little more highway-friendly.

But then if you do a lot of city driving, you'll find it not as much fun.

sharp21

Scooter
I usually ride at 120km/hr at 5k. This bike doesn't need a 6th gear unless you want to lug around all day, it needs to be revved!
S.

lkr1957

moped
You are absolutely right about the rpm that is why I have never changed out my 16 tooth sprocket on my 03 Speedmaster. These are not big torque engines and like to be reved up. I show an indicated 130kms at 5000 which is probably an honest 120 and can drive at that speed all day. the way my bike is setup I get some of my best fuel mileage numbers at that rpm. I have run this thing WFO for miles on end and it just loves it. It really surprises the big bore Harley's, V Stars, Honda's and Kawi's when I can out leg them on the top end. I like to call it the little engine that could.

tarmac bob

Scooter
Hi,

yep thats it! But its like having a second power band, twist your wrist and it keeps winding up to 5500/6000. I get really uncomfortable above 90mph anyway with the wind drag - despite the small windscreen.

I just removed my baffle and am loving the gorgeous tune. Noticed a slightly less responsive throttle but its minimal and the bike has a real "mechanical" feel anyway at these revs compared to jap sizzlers buzzing around at 10-14K!

You get used to slipping the clutch gently to ease the "no 6th" experience!

koifarm

Hooligan
I can only agree with you Bonniebret, clicks lead to a warcraft gaming site, nothing to do with this website....
Give em the boot Dude!

Frank

Scooter
My '09 came with a 18 tooth front sprocket & I changed it to a 17. Really woke it up. It's almost as quick as my '09 Bonnie.

sharp21

Scooter
I've never felt the need for 6th... But I keep my revs at least 4500rpm. Any lower & you are dogging it
S.

LA_Geezer

Scooter
^ I've never felt a need for a 6th gear either. On the rural roads I travel most, I'm doing about 50 MPH which is in the ~ 4000 RPM range, I think. That might be on the verge of "dogging it" but I know riding in 5th at 40 MPH certainly is. I'm consistently getting 50+ MPG, and like tarmac bob, I find riding at high speeds annoying because of the wind levels.