Revised stem nut GPS / Camera mounts

D9

Vendor
304 Stainless steel, working prototypes pictured - continuing fine-tuning various caps, internals, and threading - experimenting with two piece (changeable cap) and one piece units. Various possibilities including clock mount... also looking into a cap with embedded LED warning lamps to replace the stock units on the pre-2011 Hinckleys...

With standard ram ball:
Gen2_Ram_ballproto01r.jpg

GenII_Ram_ballproto02.jpg

With removable threaded stud instead of ram ball:
GPSII_proto02.jpg

Mounting arm installed on threaded stud cap (photo courtesy of Euro Bonnie):
FredS_mounted1.jpg

Last edited:

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Seth, I'd like to buy one. How much?

I still use your original prototype every time I ride, but that cap doesn't seem as secure as your new design.

GREG

D9

Vendor
Greg... the new mount is definitely heavier duty than the earlier cap design, which will
still be available for awhile. Check your pm...

KingBear

Hooligan
Soooooooo I could get one of those and do what I had wanted, which is put on a longer stem with a Garmin-size ball on the end and mount my GPS right to it without needing a Ram arm. Now we're talking!!

D9

Vendor
Barry - although not yet pictured - I have stainless extension barrels that
can raise the ram ball anywhere from 3/4" to approximately 2" - the proto extension barrels are threaded 3/8-16, although the caps and barrels can be drilled & tapped to match whatever thread you need. Can also make an adapter barrel...for example, 3/8-16 one end and M8 on the other, which could easily become a male-female adapter by adding a threaded stud on one end. I'd need to know what Ram ball you need for the Garmin, unless Garmin makes their own...

D9

Vendor
Thanks pepper... where ya been?

Pics of prototype one-piece stem nut with Ram ball - a little lower profile than the two-piece version:

1pieceSS_stem_nut_proto1.jpg

1pieceSS_stem_nut_proto2.jpg

pepper

Street Tracker
Thanks pepper... where ya been?

Pics of prototype one-piece stem nut with Ram ball - a little lower profile than the two-piece version:

QUOTE]

Just finished another machine and sold the big house here on the mountain back to back.

What did you use on the one piece, 6061 T-6, 303/304 or? Are you cutting those yourself?

D9

Vendor
pepper... everything 304 on both one and two-piece... proudly produced in the USA by the District 9 Fabrication & Machination Confederation! :D

Last edited:

ggRAT

Street Tracker
D9 Stem Nut Ball installed

Here are some pictures of D9's latest version of his "stem nut" with RAM ball mounted on my '01 Bonnie.

In this version the stem nut is machined out of the same piece as the mount, i.e. one-piece. I like it much better than his original two-piece design which always felt less secure on my bike because it was attached using set screws.

(Check out this previous thread for views of the "original" on my bike.)

Well done, Seth!

Attachments

• D9 Stem Nut Ball_1.jpg
    D9 Stem Nut Ball_1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1
  • D9 Stem Nut Ball_2.jpg
    D9 Stem Nut Ball_2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
  • D9 Stem Nut Ball_3.jpg
    D9 Stem Nut Ball_3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0
  • D9 Stem Nut Ball_4.jpg