returning to the fold

Mark

750cc
A 904cc Bonnie is just a little faster than a stock Bonnie. There's a notable difference but it'll be nothing like a Duc or Street Triple unless you're prepared to spend stupid money on parts.

I vote for Ducati! ;)

True. Had a Street Triple, own a Duc. The Bonnie is what it is, doesn't mean I don't love it though.

neuroboy

750cc
A 904cc Bonnie is just a little faster than a stock Bonnie. There's a notable difference but it'll be nothing like a Duc or Street Triple unless you're prepared to spend stupid money on parts.

yep. . . if I * really* needed Streetie performance I'd get another. Is the 904 kit worth it at $650 (+ labor)? What about the 988 kit?

strokerlmt

yep. . . if I * really* needed Streetie performance I'd get another. Is the 904 kit worth it at $650 (+ labor)? What about the 988 kit?

I have the 988 stroker engine and when I had the RAF T-100 bike I felt like I was riding a vespa compared to the 988. The get up and go, pull, passing, etc is great.
LMT

A stroker motor will cost you as much as a used Bonnie. The 994cc kit is cheaper than a stroker motor and makes good power, but it won't make it ride like a ST.

strokerlmt

A stroker motor will cost you as much as a used Bonnie. The 994cc kit is cheaper than a stroker motor and makes good power, but it won't make it ride like a ST.

Jeff is 100% correct......the 994ccmight be the ticket for you. I have a spare motor and think I want to do a 994 kit myself to learn something new.
LMT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Okay, then since the big bore thread is going on - I'll just note that the suspension isn't really up to much more top speed. Just my opinion.

Mark

750cc
Okay, then since the big bore thread is going on - I'll just note that the suspension isn't really up to much more top speed. Just my opinion.

agreed easier and cheap to get another bike to add to stable. Reminds me of the Harley guy who boasted to me how much he had spent on his motor. Then told me it had 100 horse. Oh really....................

strokerlmt

agreed easier and cheap to get another bike to add to stable. Reminds me of the Harley guy who boasted to me how much he had spent on his motor. Then told me it had 100 horse. Oh really....................

Do the 904 yourself, put on FCR39's, Ohlins on the back, progression springs in the front and the bill is a lot less than a new bike.
LMT

neuroboy

750cc
thanks for all the info (on the other thread, too). For my money, I think I'll probably go with the 904 kit + suspension. What's the labor going to run me if I let a shop do the work on a carb'd bonnie/thruxton?

neuroboy

750cc
Damned expensive, I'll bet.

without a shop (much less any sort of garage--or really any metal-working skills) i'm kinda relegated to needing someone else to do it.

also. . . here's a dumb question but i totally forget. . . is this the correct progression (at least for US thruxtons/bonnies)?:
2007: regular tank, carbs
2008: new/bigger tank, carbs
2009: new/bigger tank, EFI

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
The tank was only changed when the bikes went to fuel injection.

You are correct and not at the same time. In Europe '08 bonnies got the bigger tanks and EFI. However in the USA in '08 bonnies had carbs and the bigger tanks. At least my '08 T-100 and every other '08 I have seen is that way. In the USA in '09 bonnies got EFI with the big tank.

Last edited:
also. . . here's a dumb question but i totally forget. . . is this the correct progression (at least for US thruxtons/bonnies)?:

Sounds right to me. The bloated tank definitely came with the last year or 2 of carb'd models.

tomville

Scooter
without a shop (much less any sort of garage--or really any metal-working skills) i'm kinda relegated to needing someone else to do it.

I believe this is correct. My 2007 Thruxton has the regular tank and carbs. I seem to remember things changing shortly after, starting with the tank and later followed by EFI.

neuroboy

750cc
ok, another question. having never had clip-ons before, if i go carb'd thruxton what good options are there for relaxing the riding position on for my occasional multi-day road trips. the tubular bars were nice on the old bonnie because I could flip between "ace" bars and the stockers for longer tips.