returning to the fold

neuroboy

750cc
hello NBR-folk,
my switch to street triple turns out to have been somewhat ill-fated. it got lifted about a week ago. i'd be happy if it was found (i don't think it will be), but i think i'll be returning to the fold in the form of a thruxton or bonnie. as pissed as i am at the heathens that stole my bike i'm already looking around and think that, given the non-overlap in functionality/design of the streetie v. the bonnie, the latter is is more what i want/need/desire.

so. . . here's my only real question for y'all:

If I get an EFI bonnie or thruxton will I be forever be unable to have my dream of an unfinished "sprint" tank (see below). I'm guessing that the fact that there's a fuel pump hidden in the tank of the newer models means this will never come to pass if I get a newer bike. Also, is having the EFI worth that sacrifice and the competing sacrifice of having a larger (and, IMHO, more bulbous) tank?

Thanks. . . I suspect I'll be back posting here soon.

1300127206DSC02019.JPG

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Sorry to hear about your bike getting lifted. May the vermin who stole her catch a painful disease while they're incarcerated.

I have not heard of anyone offering Aluminum tanks for the EFI bikes. You could always use a standard (much better looking) tank, and then use an external fuel pump. Another thought is to just find a carbureted bike. It is easier to modify a carb'd bike if you're doing it yourself, but either will really work well.

Welcome back.

neuroboy

750cc
As I assess what both of these bikes can do I'm finding there's a ton of overlap (them both being standard bikes and all). That being the case, when I'm weighing what the Streetie can do what a Bonnie/Thruxton can't (and vice versa).

The Street is faster, lighter, and a generally a higher performing machine that looks like a modern bike in every sense of the word. My gf said it looks like what Batman would ride. The Bonneville/Thruxton just looks and sounds what I think a bike sound look and sound like. It's not on the crazy end of the performance scale, but, honestly, I don't see myself doing track days. In terms of where the bikes differ, I just think that the latter is more what I'm looking for a bike to do. A lot of guys would really prefer to have the bike that Batman would ride. . . I'm just not one of them.

Maybe I'll take a spin on a Thruxton and realize I miss what a Streetie can do, so I reserve judgement until I try it again a year after I had to give one up.

edit: I also think the Bonneville is more the bike for someone who wants to give long-winded answers to questions like that.

neuroboy

750cc
oh, also. . . I'm interested to hear about the performance difference with the 904 kit. Having experienced the performance bump from the Triple, I think this is something I'd really like to do.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
If I was making the decision, then my choice would go to a carb'd Bonnie. I like working on my own bikes and much prefer having that freedom that a carb'd bike offers. The other flip side to this is that you can hunt down a used carb'd Bonnie with low miles at a killer price and use that savings for your performance builds. Good luck on whichever you choose and welcome back

There was some discussion recently on the other site regarding EFI and aluminum tanks. I think the OP found that the only option was to mail them (manufacture) an EFI tank for them (manufacture) to cut and use the bottom/internals from the EFI tank.

Last edited:
Hey neuro, good to see you back!

I would probably go carbs as you can have that great tank. The street triple is awesome, but the bonneville has a lot of class and character.

Mark

750cc
had a ST3 and like the Bonnie better for the real world, track not so much. Carbs are easier to play with but EFI is the way to roll in this century

neuroboy

750cc
There was some discussion recently on the other site regarding EFI and aluminum tanks.

yeah, I just saw that, thanks.

there's a guy trying to sell a red 2011 thruxton for $6400. . . Carlo over at Riverside moto was also trying to convince me that the ethanol in fuel these days eventually ruins carbs.

i'm leaning toward carbs, but the EFI is tempting if not for the tank sitch and the potiental of the new fuels gumming up carbs.

I know Carlo. He's a fun guy to talk to , but he's a salesman through and through. Guy will say anything to make a sale.

I've been running my carb'd Bonneville since 2007 with no issues whatsoever with fuel. My bike is at somewhere around 15k miles now and no problems at all. That's just my experience. I just don't want to see you get fed self-serving information and spend a lot more money than you have to.

As far as performance goes, I don't have the 904 kit so I can't speak to that. I have the standard performance upgrades (free flow exhaust, airbox elimination, high flow filters, re-jetted carbs, and a good deal of weight reduction) and I'm not disappointed with the performance of the bike at all.

The dyno runs have my bike at 67 HP rear wheel, can't remember the torque offhand, but it's good enough for a daily ride with plenty of room to have some illegal fun. When I roll the throttle open on my bike the sound it makes is just outrageous, unique, and intoxicating.

I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with one.

Just remembered, Carlo once told me that if I wanted to be a real rider I'd need to get a Ducati. He was pushing the Sport Classic 1000 because he knew I liked the retro shit.

Once someone tells me I need a Ducati I know to stop listening to them.

neuroboy

750cc
Yeah, I know he's selling me but I figure there could be a kernel of truth he's just exaggerating

. . . and, yeah, I know the Bonnie engine well. Before I had to lay 'er down last Fall, I had an '05 with d&d exhaust--it was a great balance between a fantastic exhaust note and not being too loud when i pulled up to my place late-night.

. . . and, yeah, I'll never own a Ducati either.

A 904cc Bonnie is just a little faster than a stock Bonnie. There's a notable difference but it'll be nothing like a Duc or Street Triple unless you're prepared to spend stupid money on parts.

I vote for Ducati! ;)

there's a guy trying to sell a red 2011 thruxton for $6400. . . Carlo over at Riverside moto was also trying to convince me that the ethanol in fuel these days eventually ruins carbs.

i'm leaning toward carbs, but the EFI is tempting if not for the tank sitch and the potiental of the new fuels gumming up carbs.

Ethanol in fuel is really hard on old carbs and rubber fuel lines. I don't think it's as much of an issue with newer carbs, like on the Bonnie, but it may make the lines need to be replaced prematurely. Say, every 5-7 years instead of 10 years...

Mark

750cc

urban myth