Restoring rusty trailer wheels

I picked up this folding trailer a few months ago and the wheels needed some work.

I went to work washing with soap and water and sanding with 150 grit sand paper along with a wire brush where needed. Once I got the rust off, I hit the wheels with some prep spray, followed by some primer and then finished with black high temp roll bar / chassis paint.

Each wheel has two coats primer front / back followed by 3 coats black high temp paint. Both wheels took just over 1 can of the black high temp paint.

I'll let the paint harden up for a few days before I attempt to mount the wheels back on to the trailer.

8484F3A4-232A-4FA2-9CAA-534DA111AA49_zpsxelygvoz.jpg

D2495F04-EBB5-4553-9CC4-36CC0B9E3544_zpsjydtzug2.jpg

CDEBA085-4FBB-454B-A9D9-FACCC4E5DF68_zpsqlagaeko.jpg

9D6FAB07-3E9C-4BA6-8BD0-4CB44E729113_zpsntm2di13.jpg

AA7F3C20-4628-4710-BB82-9A22707851F2_zpsojw2cdpv.jpg

The wheel on the right is still wet when the photo was taken, that's why it looks a little glossier then the other.

4EBC9BF0-23AA-4CF3-8632-1AFCDBDF93F4_zpswqt3vhdg.jpg

Paint products:

F21BB510-C251-4827-87CC-A62D5B38A0EC_zpsc3bn9ojf.jpg

They look pretty damn sweet mount to the trailer too. The lugs are not tightened down, they're only on to snug up the wheel. It'll be a couple days before I wrench them down.

7D296C52-417B-43DF-B9C7-C01B5DF9B624_zpsmjm579tg.jpg

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Those kendon trailers are great, I used them lots doing track days. They tow wonderfully and track nicely. Nice score.

Those kendon trailers are great, I used them lots doing track days. They tow wonderfully and track nicely. Nice score.

I've had it for a few months and have never used it. The wife, kid and I are spending a couple weeks on the Oregon coast in August with the plan to trailer our bikes and use the bikes for day rides to explore the Oregon coast line. With the weight of my Scrambler and her Iron 883, that will put us right about the max suggested tow weight for the Honda Element. So we'll see how it goes. ;)

beemerrich

Street Tracker
no worries on towing 2 bikes with an Element...just pay attention to the tongue weight and keep some weight on the hitch. Too little tongue weight make things get weird. I tow my thruxton on a similar weight trailer using my '03 minicooper and it is all good.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I've had it for a few months and have never used it. The wife, kid and I are spending a couple weeks on the Oregon coast in August with the plan to trailer our bikes and use the bikes for day rides to explore the Oregon coast line. With the weight of my Scrambler and her Iron 883, that will put us right about the max suggested tow weight for the Honda Element. So we'll see how it goes. ;)

I reckon the element will be just fine, I'd be more concerned if you were trying to go through mountain passes towing right at the limit. However, I'm also certain they largely lower the numbers on many vehicles such as that to lessen their liability.

I reckon the element will be just fine, I'd be more concerned if you were trying to go through mountain passes towing right at the limit.

Yeah, not too many passes (non actually) between here and the Oregon coast. Straight shot down I-5 to Salem and due west until you hit water and then south down the coast until you hit Yachats, and that's where you'll find me.

However, I'm also certain they largely lower the numbers on many vehicles such as that to lessen their liability.

That's the general consensus I'm hearing over on the Element owners forum as well.