Relentless Popping on Deceleration.

b717doc

Scooter
Just confused here...2005 America (790), 54,000 miles, completely stock with the exception of Uni Filter, and 3 stages removed from each muffler, and the AI removed. The bike has started popping HORRENDOUSLY on deceleration, mainly from the right pipe since I've started riding this spring. I've had the carbs off, inspected, cleaned thoroughly, and reinstalled, then I balanced them, and the bike runs sweet, with plenty of power...What is the best remedy for reducing this extremely loud and almost annoying popping? The pipes and mufflers are air tight, and re-sealed, so I really don't think its an airleak....
I guess what Im looking for is someone that has had this identical problem, and can share with me the fix....Stock jets, no mods....If I barely crack the throttle, there's no popping whatsoever....Don't want to disconnect the TPI, like Ive heard other people doing....Turned in and out on idle mixture thumb screws that I bought, no change....Really don't want to take those carbs back off.....Thanks in advance...Doc

zmilin

Street Tracker
Check your air filter, make sire its clean.
Check your vacuum lines/plugs on the carbs.

Did the bike do that before you pulled the carbs off?

b717doc

Scooter
Check your air filter, make sire its clean.
Check your vacuum lines/plugs on the carbs.

Did the bike do that before you pulled the carbs off?

Yes, new squirrel condoms, new UniFilter, and yes, that's why I pulled the carbs off....Im thinking maybe get next size up pilot jets, but not sure...popping stops when a tiny tiny bit of throttle added...seems lean to me.

zmilin

Street Tracker
Yeah, popping is caused by a lean condition typically. If you keep thinking too much air then look at where you can be getting too much air...

Saw your post about the washer. Id get that in there ASAP and check for a crushed/distorted O ring now.

b717doc

Scooter
Ran thumb screws 3 turns out, made a difference, but still there....Im thinking bigger pilots, new o-rings, and a couple of washers...

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I think that most people running with intact airbox and baffelectomy have gone up on their main jets slightly... Often see 115/40 jets. Gotta say I've never heard of a bonnie with 54k on the clock suddenly developing popping on overrun. Best of luck, sounds like you are going after the problem in a logical way.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
+1 on double checking the vacuum hoses, and make sure your rubber boot connecting filter to carb is properly seated on carb - that's pretty easy to mess up.

bonZa

Street Tracker
what rpm is your idle set at?
I cured mine by increasing the idle slightly by about 50 rpm