Rear wheel barely clearing ground when on centre stand

Beiciwr

Scooter
Hi all,

In the past my rear wheel, with the bike on the centre stand, has always spun freely.
Today I noticed that it's ever so slightly dragging on the carpet (yeah, carpet in the garage!). The wheel will still spin, but with a slight rubbing noise, which was what attracted my attention to it.

What, if anything, could have changed??

Cheers.

Last edited:

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi could it be the stand is sinking into the carpet a bit if it's on a different area than usual , or uneven area under the carpet that you can't see maybe,

Beiciwr

Scooter
Thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt it, as the carpet is very thin, and appears to be as level as ever. However, I'm planning on popping out on the bike tomorrow, so will deliberately park it in a slightly different place afterwards, to see if there's any difference. :d

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Check the holes in the centerstand/frame...they might be starting to oval a bit and thus allow the machine to settle back further/lower when up on the stand. Loose fasteners will do the same...

Regards,

--Rich

klem

Scooter
Have you put a larger tire on, i did and noticed that the wheel would not turn at all so i placed a thin flat wide piece of wood under and fixed the problem.

Beiciwr

Scooter
I haven't changed anything at all. The tyres are newish, but they were changed 3 months ago. I've not even put air in them in the last fortnight (which could also have had a minimal effect).
However, I've just been out and back, put it back on stand, and now all is fine. :)
I can only assume that I'd parked it for once on a spot where the floor or carpet was slightly raised. I see now that there's barely room for a fag paper under the rear wheel anyway, but it spins freely enough today.
I guess it's always been a very close fit, but I've never had cause to notice it before.

Cheers anyway, guys. Your comments were appreciated. :cheers:
Tony

I can only assume that I'd parked it for once on a spot where the floor or carpet was slightly raised. I see now that there's barely room for a fag paper under the rear wheel anyway, but it spins freely enough today.
I guess it's always been a very close fit, but I've never had cause to notice it before.

Cheers anyway, guys. Your comments were appreciated. :cheers:
Tony

Have you adjusted your shocks? Have you cleaned and lubbed your shocks?
LMT

Or if you're running longer shocks (i.e. Thruxton length) with center stand for the Bonneville, it's going to be a close fit.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I put Thrux length shocks on my Bonnie and am now using the thin board method to get my rear wheel off the ground when using my center stand . The trade off of the better shocks are worth the aggro of the board. I only use the center stand for lubing the chain anyway.