Rack and Pillion...

zmilin

Street Tracker
I pretty much cut and pasted this from my post over at BA.com. This America Speedy section was not showing any activity so here it is again...

SO I made this a few weeks ago and wasnt going to post it but after I painted it it looked so much better I figured why not.
Its made of aluminum stock from Home Depot...cost about $15 - $20 with some peices left over. Its held together by aluminum rivets.
Its purpose built and not intended to be pretty, just decent. I wanted something to strap a decent sized bag to but didnt like the look of a sissy bar and gunfighter seat.
16" total length, 11.5" width and tall enough to clear the back of the gunfighter. The legs are slotted to fit over the bolts between the hard bag mounts for easy on off.
2630619788_917aa5d3ae.jpg

2629801539_4e219dc125.jpg

2630619610_e8407ef9f2.jpg

2630619522_450c0d0d1e.jpg

AND now...the Super Pillion seat...I need to take my seat in to get reworked and set my solo seat on the rack...made me think and well...I cant sleep so here it goes...
2630619286_dc7a2c0826.jpg

2629801177_261dd71443.jpg

DavidC

Rocker
Nice job! However, I'd be scared shitless on that passenger seat. But with the right girl on the back, her tits could serve as a neck warmer.

zmilin

Street Tracker
How's it ride? It looks like the it would put the passengers weight up high.

LOL...the pillion thing is a joke. I set the seat on it last night and it made me laugh so I snapped a pic to post.

her tits could serve as a neck warmer.

Ooooo....benefits. Way to look at the positive side of things!

I guess I should have added a smiley face. I was kidding as well. It doesn't look like it's even attached. Nice work on your rack. I'm in the process of trying to fabricate some brackets for keeping saddlebags off the wheels.

Last edited:

DavidC

Rocker
Aw, man. You got me on that one. I thought it was a for-real passenger seat - and, of course, a strange idea. Good one!

ssjones

750cc
That's pretty cool work. I was just looking for a solo seat rack for my America, since the wife decided no more riding. I found a lot of racks similar to that for Sportsters. I ended up buying a Sportster fender rack that hugs the fender ($30). But, I have to be careful how my briefcase is bungied in place and it tends to shift backwards. It wouldn't be good to carry any kind of real load

ssjones

750cc
since the wife decided no more riding.
Uh oh, what happened?
I get to thank my 24 yr old daughter for that one. She had a Kaw Ninja 500 for the past two years and lately had been riding with a fast group of guys. Sure enough, she laid it down three weeks ago. Had all her gear on, but broke a bone in each foot, one cut, bruises and some road rash to show for it and a totaled bike. For what she did, she was very lucky to walk (er, limp) away with such minor injures. BUT, the wife took one look at her and said that's it for her.....So, I now have a solo seat and don't ride as much because I enjoyed riding with her. Kids.

normandy

Street Tracker
Nice work. I don't want to rain on your parade but aluminum flat bars will bend and a heavy load will shift to one side or the other when leaning in a corner. It definetly would not hold a passenger. It needs angle material or a cross brace to prevent lateral movement.

zmilin

Street Tracker
rain away man...

the extra seat thing was in good fun...
the rack performed very well during my trip to Nelson back in July. The intent isnt to carry lumber or anything....just a way to get my bags strapped onto the bike without using a sissy bar. I also wanted to keep the bags low and use them kind of as a back support.
The load didnt shift but an inch or so to the left and I expected that. From what I have seen ALL loads on a bike have a tendancy to shift. I used stainless quick links through the rack and D rings on my luggage to keep it a bit more secure and from sliding back on the rack too far (back support).

The luggage I used was the Dowco Rally Pack Combo Here

Heres a shot of it loaded up. You can see how its slighly shifted to the left.
1400 plus miles to Nelson and back and I had no issues.
2688705007_4fcf57a1e1_o.jpg