Project Garage........

monty

Street Tracker
Decided that it is time to rebuild the garage.

The house that I live in now with the Memsahib and our lovely daughter is the house I grew up in. I moved away some 20+ years ago and after relatively recent changes in my domestic set up, I came back to live here when my Mother passed away three years ago. With house just about done, thoughts changed to the garage.

The main areas for concern were that the roof and timbers had really had their day and one of the walls was badly bowed. The whole building was a bit bent but I put this down to a visit from the Luftwaffe in 1941 when the area was bombed. I wanted to keep the character of the garage so decided not to do a full rebuild. I guess I am just too sentimental. I have fond memories working with my Dad in there and this was where I learnt to look after motorcycles.

A blokes garage is a very personal space and I wonder how you guys feel about posting a few interior shots of garages you know. The more atmospheric, old skool, the better.

I will keep updating with progress if you guys are interested and will start with a few shots of my own.

Monty

Attachments

• 2014-05-27 12.03.35.jpg
    2014-05-27 12.03.35.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

monty

Street Tracker
A few more shots.....

Attachments

• 2014-05-27 12.05.52.jpg
    2014-05-27 12.05.52.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2014-05-27 12.08.33.jpg
    2014-05-27 12.08.33.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Definitely subscribing to this one! I don't have my garage yet but very soon. Good luck with this one buddy!

monty

Street Tracker
Cheers Matt. Made some progress. Roof and wall are now removed. They were pretty well stuffed. Lots of woodworm and rot. Wall collapsed as the roof timbers were being taken off...

Monty

Attachments

• 2014-05-27 12.04.27.jpg
    2014-05-27 12.04.27.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
Nice project. That's a building with character and memories, and you get a lot of credit (from me at least) for preserving it as best you can. And it looks like you're fixing it not long before it completely falls in.

monty

Street Tracker
Cheers guys. There will be some compromise from the outside but I hope to have an old skool look to the inside.

Updates to follow...

Monty

Mr.Noisy

Scooter
What a lovely garage! I wish I even had one, but that's what I'd like! Reminds me of my granny's old one when I was a boy...

Good luck! That bin doesn't look big enough though! ;-)

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
monty-san,
What a exciting project!
Simply building a new garage may be straightforward, but yes, I definitely agree with you to do renovation while keeping good-old-days-memories! I am looking forward for the progress.

20110325.jpg

monty

Street Tracker
Kind words RMB, thank you all for posting.

I started playing with bikes in this garage 33yrs ago. There will be some changes as I want to improve security but three quarters of the garage will remain.

Ultimately, I want a good space for me and my lad to look after the Bonnie. A place to relax, where I can hopefully pass on to him, some of the things I have learnt over the years.

Today we stood in the shell and discussed where the workbench is to go, where we might need plugs, lights and where we could put an upright drill and grinder.

All good stuff.

Monty

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
monty-san,
Good morning from Japan!
I just would like to share this picture of the old-fashioned garage that is open to public for display purpose to everyone. It is located in Hamamatsu, Japan. I thought the image is well suite to your garage currently under renovation…Just for your info.

20110118.jpg

Roger

Street Tracker
Love your little brick building Monty. This would be enough for me although I am hoping to build a two car garage this summer. I see that when you removed the roof, you also removed the window. This has left the brickwork above just hanging. I hope you get a support in there before the bricks decide to drop out.

attachment.php

Hope to see a new roof on your cool little shop soon... because...

Wales_summer_winter600pix.jpg

And please do keep us updated.

-Roger-

monty

Street Tracker
Great photo, Roadman. Lots of detail to keep me amused.

Roger please see progress below. Decided to go with blocks for new walls. Would have liked to carry out a like for like rebuild using the old bricks but so many were in a bad way that we went for blocks instead. The Ida all along was to render the garage anyway so what lies beneath matters little.

The atmosphere will come when re equipping the inside.

I am really looking forward to it.

Monty

Attachments

• 2014-05-31 20.53.54.jpg
    2014-05-31 20.53.54.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0

Roger

Street Tracker
Oh my. The window is gone now. At least you can paint a simulated brick colour onto the new block. I'm surprised you didn't keep the window opening. I would want as much natural light as possible. At least you have replaced the one wall now. Looks good.

monty

Street Tracker
Yep, the window has gone in the interests of security. Not ideal but my last garage was window less as well. I am looking forward to the roof going up and getting stuck into the inside.

Monty

monty

Street Tracker
No plans for skylights, though I can see that they would make sense.
Though there will be a lack of natural light, there will be sufficient lighting.
At the moment I am waiting on the roof trusses. Was hoping to have the roof on over the coming weekend but the traditional British/Welsh summer looks set to continue with heavy rain forecast.
On a positive note, the grass is nice and green..........

Monty

Attachments

• funny-Wales-rain-warmer-summer.jpg
    funny-Wales-rain-warmer-summer.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0