Opinions on Steering Dampers

Stoogsy

Scooter
G'day from OZ. :confused:

I have a Norman Hyde Steering Damper on order from NewBonneville, amongst a bunch of other things, only knowing of one other fellow rider with a steering damper installed, I was hoping to get opinions from other as to how their bikes run with this item fitted.
Has it made a difference?
Is it an unnecessary add-on?
Should I be putting the money towards better things?

Appreciate everyone's advice in advance.

Phil

husk01

moped
I've got one on my bonnie and it works well. I initially got it when a nasty front wheel shake started to develop on deceleration thru 80 Kph. The shake is most likely due to my worn and cupped BT45s. Regardless, its not the right way to fix a tire problem.
My kit arrived missing a spacer and with little install guidance.
The damper is easily adjustable on the fly and gives me a more planted feel at speed, and in corners. I think you'll like it.
Steve

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Steering damper = good stuff! When your seriously hauling ass and things get out of hand in corners due to gravel, sand, damp roads, grinding the hardware on the bike, etc, the damper will pay for itself for sure. Don't ask me how I know. I have the Hyde set-up on my bike - just because it blends in so well and is up out of the way.

Bonafide

NBR founder
a definite plus if you like going fast in the curves. easy to install ... heck you can even install the wrong and ride around for days without noticing. :) ie: make sure yours looks like the picture (installed) they send you when you're done.

KingBear

Hooligan
Ask Old Scratcher what he thinks about them after his recent tankslapper incident. I never thought much about them, but maybe it's a good idea. :confused:

Hedge

American Infidel
G'day from OZ. :confused:

I have a Norman Hyde Steering Damper on order from NewBonneville, amongst a bunch of other things, only knowing of one other fellow rider with a steering damper installed, I was hoping to get opinions from other as to how their bikes run with this item fitted.
Has it made a difference?
Is it an unnecessary add-on?
Should I be putting the money towards better things?

Appreciate everyone's advice in advance.

Phil
I think if you already have it on order it is a little late to be asking, "Should I be putting the money towards better things?" Like the other guys already said, if your hauling ass around corners it can help save your life but if your just putting around the back roads and enjoying the scenery at 40 -50 mph like I do, it is as much of a waste as my $200+ SuperBrace fork brace I bought. But hell, it looks great! :)

Stoogsy

Scooter
Shipment delayed

I think if you already have it on order it is a little late to be asking, "Should I be putting the money towards better things?" Like the other guys already said, if your hauling ass around corners it can help save your life but if your just putting around the back roads and enjoying the scenery at 40 -50 mph like I do, it is as much of a waste as my $200+ SuperBrace fork brace I bought. But hell, it looks great! :)

G'day Hedge. I still have time to ammend the order. A few things are on backorder. Funny you should say that about the SuperBrace fork brace. I ordered one of those as well...just cause I think it looked cool on your bike.

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
Honestly I haven't found the need for one, even at the level of power that I'm at. I had my bike up to 125mph for 5 miles or so and it was rock solid, and that is with a 17in front wheel. I do have a fork brace though.

Greg

Hedge

American Infidel
G'day Hedge. I still have time to ammend the order. A few things are on backorder. Funny you should say that about the SuperBrace fork brace. I ordered one of those as well...just cause I think it looked cool on your bike.
I've been known to waste a lot of money! :D

Fr. Joe 07T100

Street Tracker
I've been known to waste a lot of money! :D

Me too! but then again, it feels more worth it since, UNLIKE my friend Hedgy, I am not content to putts around doing 40-55! WHAT's UP with that!? - ya shoulda bought a Royal Enfield or ride your lawnmower Hedgy! (now, I think would be a good time to remind you how much I love my 8 ball and of our long sordid friendship from the other Triumph riders site whose name must not be named! :D)

I enjoy 90 mph corners: just ask the state trooper I met when I just came out of one two days ago; Luckily she only caught the 79 mph part of it and even luckier, because she was Catholic she feared if she gave me a ticket she'd be struck by lightning; to which I loudly and prolongedly agreed to, even giving made up examples of that very thing hapenning to catholic officers in the past.

So i might be ready for a steering damper because the forkbrace just looks like bling to me ....

not tht I have any problems with bling!

Last edited:

UraniumC

Banned
Me too! but then again, it feels more worth it since, UNLIKE my friend Hedgy, I am not content to putts around doing 40-55! WHAT's UP with that!? - ya shoulda bought a Royal Enfield or ride your lawnmower Hedgy! (now, I think would be a good time to remind you how much I love my 8 ball and of our long sordid friendship from the other Triumph riders site whose name must not be named! :D)

I enjoy 90 mph corners: just ask the state trooper I met when I just came out of one two days ago; Luckily she only caught the 79 mph part of it and even luckier, because she was Catholic she feared if she gave me a ticket she'd be struck by lightning; to which I loudly and prolongedly agreed to, even giving made up examples of that very thing hapenning to catholic officers in the past.

So i might be ready for a steering damper because the forkbrace just looks like bling to me ....

not tht I have any problems with bling!

"nearer (and sooner) to you, Oh, Lord.." :D

Bonafide

NBR founder
Honestly I haven't found the need for one, even at the level of power that I'm at. I had my bike up to 125mph for 5 miles or so and it was rock solid, and that is with a 17in front wheel. I do have a fork brace though.

Greg

For 5 miles in a straight line? A bone stock suspension should run straight at 125mph without issues. If you're wobblin/tank slappin in a straight line - fix your problem (like wheel alignment, tire on backwards, etc), dont put a damper (band-aide) on it.

The purpose of a steering damper is not to control your bars while traveling at top speed in a straight line, they're designed to reduce/control that 'wiggling' caused when your front tire starts washin or your back tire is slippin while you're draggin your knee with the throttle wacked open. It will also help when you suddenly need to come off the throttle hard and stand up ...

Your fork brace reduces the effects of the forks flexin ... again ... in a hard pressed curve, nothing in a straight line.

Fr. Joe 07T100

Street Tracker
Yeah but the difference between our wasted money and your wasted money is ours isn't collected Tax-Free in a basket! :D

HEY! not fair! I provide a service for all that tax free money! Someone's gotta prepare the folks for the eternal lickin' flames of the nethermost pits of hell!

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
For 5 miles in a straight line? A bone stock suspension should run straight at 125mph without issues. If you're wobblin/tank slappin in a straight line - fix your problem (like wheel alignment, tire on backwards, etc), dont put a damper (band-aide) on it.

The purpose of a steering damper is not to control your bars while traveling at top speed in a straight line, they're designed to reduce/control that 'wiggling' caused when your front tire starts washin or your back tire is slippin while you're draggin your knee with the throttle wacked open. It will also help when you suddenly need to come off the throttle hard and stand up ...

Your fork brace reduces the effects of the forks flexin ... again ... in a hard pressed curve, nothing in a straight line.
Yes your right, and under semi-stock hp/tq levels the suspension can handle it. When you start making a respectable amount of hp/tq the suspension starts torqing, flexing things out of line, which is the point I was trying to make.

My GS on the other hand starts head shake at 95mph, I really need to work on it.

Greg

Bonafide

NBR founder
When you start making a respectable amount of hp/tq the suspension starts torqing, flexing things out of line, which is the point I was trying to make.

that only comes into play when you're whackin ON or OFF the throttle while the suspension is still loading or unloading .. and your're putting the suspension past it's limits .. still not flexing (the frame or forks) anything in a straight line.

Skinthead

Two Stroke
I have had minor wobbles changing lanes here inthe state that is known for the lowest bidder. Seems that road lane seams (no pun intended), are enough to send my head shakin going down the interstate at any speed above 50mph.

Survive a tank slapper and you will put a damper on every bike you own.....unless you are hard headed like me and think that the highway department should refrain from sending you bills for the damage caused to the road by your cranium...... Cats land feet down....I land head down.....whats up with that?!!!!

Skint

cafecruzin

Two Stroke
I have a NH damper on my Thruxton.love it
didn't really think i needed one but then was able to get this one at a very good price.wish I'd bought one sooner

Kirkus51

Hooligan
A steering damper is not a bad idea, but the very first thing I got was a centerstand. I don't regret that purchase at all.;)