Open-faced helmets?

hankmarx

750cc
I would definitely try one on first. they all fit a little different, and the most expensive might not be the best fit. The Bell 500 fit my head the best.

Follow up to post #24. Bought me self a HCI-15, white w/red strips. It is the best helmet I've owned and I've owned a bunch of styles and brands. It fits snug but comfortably, doesn't buffet at any speed I ride and it is lighter than any other I've owned. It is the quietest helmet I've ever rode with. When it gets cold, a full face balaclava keeps the cheeks warm. No goggles needed, it has a pilot type shield. Sale price was under $50. Hope they never change them or quit making them, it'll be what I look for when it is time for a new helmet.

I have been thinking about an open face for around town and British Bike club functions.I looked at the Bell and the Z1R retro's. A local dealer told me about Fulmer's retro line,I went on their website and found the V2 in black with a checkered white stripe and the union jack on the side.I thinking I'm going with one of those,price is right and it's cool looking.

Greyfox2

Scooter
I have the Bell 500. Firs great with no lift or movement at high speeds. Also have the Aviator 3 goggles that are also good. No raccoon eyes and the strap holds it's place well with the Bell which doesn't have a strap keeper.

simpson

TT Racer
I made the decision that my face was too much of a national treasure to risk with any open-face helmet...never mind that my head is as big as an overripe watermelon and I look like a bobble-headed, mushroom that has a Great Gazoo complex.

Just picked up a Nolan N43 Trilogy Modular Helmet.

...pretty danged excited.

-simpson

Greyfox2

Scooter
I have a Davida Speedster that is really nice but it has a slight pressure in the middle of my fore head? Has any one ever tried shaving some of the foam liner to perfect the fit?

SMCD

Scooter
I have a Licks NOVDOT on order. They say it's the lightest, most slim DOT approved 3/4 bucket you can get. I'm really hoping it fits well. I love my full Shoi X-Twelve but really like the cool factor of the buckets. I'm a skinny dude with a small head, so fitment is always an issue, and I tried on the Bell 500, but felt it was just a bit bulky still. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Last edited:

jhillier71

Street Tracker
I have a Davida Speedster that is really nice but it has a slight pressure in the middle of my fore head? Has any one ever tried shaving some of the foam liner to perfect the fit?

My Davida did the same thing. I didnt shape it at all, once you break it in (i.e. suffer through the pinch) it will fit like a glove. At least mine does now.

Greyfox2

Scooter
My Davida did the same thing. I didnt shape it at all, once you break it in (i.e. suffer through the pinch) it will fit like a glove. At least mine does now.

You are absolutely right, I'm glad I didn't mess around with it. After 3 or 4 times out it molded perfectly to my head.

My Fulmer came in but it was a little tight,so the parts guy ordered the next size up and he is going to let me do a side by side comparison.Helmet is nice though,it goes great with any British Bike,hell if they made a full face version I would buy one for a full time helmet.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I have a shoei platinum R open face that looks a little weird and is not of the traditional style for the Bonnies as it is more of a cop bike style thing. I also have a cheap old standard type open face which I have been wearing for the last two to three years because it is light and very cool in the summers. It is a useless helmet at any sort of speed wanting to rip your head off at anything over a 120Klm but this has saved me from getting a lot of tickets so I put up with it until recently when I started wearing the shoei again being that it is winter again and I was just so sick of having my head nearly ripped off. This helmet is really good, it sticks to your head at all speeds like it is screwed on and that is with a peak and is very comfortable and quiet, a little bit weighty after the cheap helmet but that is quickly gotten use to, pity it is just so weird looking...I may have to get a BMW to go with it.

d00dge

moped
Am I the only guy here not to have got on with Davida? I bought a Davida Jet and it looked the business. I bought the large size, that I could get on my head ok. It was a little tight, but I expected that. My problem was that I couldn't wear it with sunglasses, every time I turned my head the glasses more or less stayed in place and I ended up bruising the bridge of my nose! I figured that the helmet needed breaking in, I couldn't wear it on the bike, it was too uncomfortable so took to wearing it around the house, much to my wife's amusement, but I never did break it in and ended up selling it. Perhaps I needed a bigger size?

drlapo

Hooligan
Am I the only guy here not to have got on with Davida? I bought a Davida Jet and it looked the business. I bought the large size, that I could get on my head ok. It was a little tight, but I expected that. My problem was that I couldn't wear it with sunglasses, every time I turned my head the glasses more or less stayed in place and I ended up bruising the bridge of my nose! I figured that the helmet needed breaking in, I couldn't wear it on the bike, it was too uncomfortable so took to wearing it around the house, much to my wife's amusement, but I never did break it in and ended up selling it. Perhaps I needed a bigger size?

Davida helmets are made for a Euro head= egg shaped
you must have an American head; oval

JimmyR

Street Tracker
My summer helmet is a Shoei open face. I don't know what it's called but I bought it on Ebay from the US as they don't sell that model here in Australia. It has a flip up visor which is handy for keeping any of the vast variety of bugs we have here out of my teeth.

I have a huge head so helmets are difficult for me. Shoei seem to be the only people who can make a helmet that will fit me. If I find a style I like it is always the biggest one that fits me. My full-face is one that my wife just bought for me - again it's a Shoei, but this one has the whole front section swinging up to get it off. It's very cool. It has a flip up clear visor, and inside it has a top-gun style shaded visor that you can flip up or down with an external lever. It has to be one of the most comfy helmets I have ever used.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I cant tell what is the best open face, but I can tell you what is the WORST

Kwon Cheng, marketed in Australia as RXT

I stupidly bought one a while back, crap fit as tight around the forehead and loose elsewhere, uncomfortable as the interior seems to made out of moulded concrete, lifts if going faster than walking pace, synthetic liner makes you sweat, no snap for the chin strap, noisy as buggery, cheaply made.

all in all a real first class shit helmet,

and to top it off there is only one shell size, so a xsl, sl or m have the same shell as a boofhead sized xxlg. so if like me and you noggin is a petite sml or m it looks like a big bulb on your head

Kiwi

Two Stroke
I bought a cheap open face a few years ago - I don't know the brand, it's not written on it. It lifts at over 100kph, it's noisy, and it has a large shell so it looks a bit silly.

I replaced it with a Bell RT a few weeks ago and what difference. Nice and comfy, very quiet, doesn't lift (up to 140kph so far), and a much smaller shell that doesn't look silly. I'm really surprised at how quiet it is - I would say it's quieter than my full face (Shoei Multitech flip front).