Open-faced helmets?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I have both the Davida classic and the Bell 500. The Davida is one of, if not, the best helmet I have ever bought. I thought it was going to crush my head at first but then the helmet broke in and is perfect. I am still blown away by how this is the quietest helmet I have ever had. With that said, I still like my Bell 500 a lot; I know everybody has a different head shape but I don't have the problem with the Bell trying to pull off my head at high speeds. A goggle strap would be nice on it but it isn't a show stopper for me. I just dropped an order for a third helmet and decided to go with another Bell...the $99 compared to the $350 made all the difference to me. The Davida is a great helmet but it is not that much better to justify that huge price difference.

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
I have a Bell Custom 500. It looks great and it very nice, but it lifts off my head above 65mph or so. It is a little maddening. I really like it around town, but if I am going to get on the highway, I have to leave it at home.
Late getting to this thread. Just a thought, do you have a visor on your helmet? Mine will almost fly at 60 with a visor on it, but is stable at all speeds without. I always thought it interesting that my Nolan full face creates down force at speed, making it harder to keep my head up, and my 3/4 helmets create up lift, forcing my head back.

I ride w/a modular helmet. When MLW started riding, we searched the net for something she wanted. She fell in love with the HCI-15 in "ladybug pink". White with pink polka-dots. I admit, it looks cute on her and she loves it. Her bike has a windshield soooo, lift etc doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm thinking of trying one in a masculine color scheme since I put a windshield on my Bonnie. They are DOT approved and have a very good price on them right now.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
I have a Rockhard American Classic and really like the low profile/retro look. It feels really good too, but I've only worn it on a couple on short errands. I really wanted gloss black, but it wasn't available at the time (only flat black). So I bought a metalflake silver... right before they added gloss black. Damn the bad luck! :mad:

Anybody interested in a slightly used silver Rockhard size M for half the price of a new one? I still have the original box and everthing that came in it.

Late getting to this thread. Just a thought, do you have a visor on your helmet? Mine will almost fly at 60 with a visor on it, but is stable at all speeds without. I always thought it interesting that my Nolan full face creates down force at speed, making it harder to keep my head up, and my 3/4 helmets create up lift, forcing my head back.

Finally get back to see this. I run sans visor and it still lifts. I have learned to tilt it as far forward as I can and it helps quite a bit. Not it doesn't actually lift until 85 or if I am going into a strong head wind. I can live with that.

steamfitter

Two Stroke
i just ordered a custom helmet from oldschoolhelmets.web.com. the main guy josh was really good to work with on the custom design. for 199.00 you get a choice of either a biltwell, fulmer, or bell 3/4 helmet. then you can choose your own design or pick one off their website. i ordered a flat black bell 500 with vintage triumph logo on the sides and social distortion logo on the back. best part is that josh "distresses" the outside so that it really has a 30 yr. vintage look. if you are looking for a very "rocker" helmet check them out!-keith

simpson

TT Racer
I found a Z1R on closeout. $35 shipped.

Finally took it for a test ride. Pretty good, but I felt overexposed.

Keeping it for the in-town stuff, but I am a full-face guy.

-simpson

strokerlmt

Don't mean to mess with this thread. I bought a "classic jet" Davida black LARGE with googles for 150. It is a great helmet but I now know I am a full face guy. If you want it you can have it for what I paid plus shipping. I used it once. There are a couple of small dings on the top.
LMT

Don't mean to mess with this thread. I bought a "classic jet" Davida black LARGE with googles for 150. It is a great helmet but I now know I am a full face guy. If you want it you can have it for what I paid plus shipping. I used it once. There are a couple of small dings on the top.
LMT

I'll take it. Can't PM yet so email me geektron at gmail.com please. :cheers:

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
I just went to oldschoolhelmets.com. Check out their work! And their prices are good.
I'm going to send them some pics of the Bonnie to see what ideas they have for a paint job. Mike

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Davida Helmet Review

I just picked up a used Davida Classic Jet Helmet size large, and goggles from Strokerlmt. My head measures 58-1/2 to 59mm so I’m typically in a large, or XL helmet. Now this is the first time I’ve had an open faced lid on my noggin since I was a kid playing with go-karts so we’ll say a good 25+ years… All of my other helmets for cars, boats, jet ski’s, etc have all been full face, so I was a little apprehensive about trying an open face helmet, but since it’s hotter than the pit of Hades I figured I’d give it a shot for some local rides and what not.

So here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- Cost. I bought her used, and the price was right about the same as buying a new cheaper brand helmet.
- Flat out LOVE riding with the open dome lid on.
- The Goggles are just flat out the BOMB for riding at night.
- Tight but firm fit, once I learned how to actually wear it.
- I am flat out shocked at how quiet this helmet is when I’m riding.

Cons:
- A tad tight on the top/front of my noggin, but once I realized if I put that portion of the helmet on my head first and then rotate it onto my head the feel fits well.
- The leather liner doesn’t breathe real well. While the open face gives you more air flow for the front, it’s mucho less on top. I was riding down the road and felt sprinkles on my face; I thought it was the car in front of me washing their windshield that is until I pulled the helmet off realizing the top of my head was covered in sweat. I’m going to try a dew rag to see how that goes.
- She lifts up a little… Not much more than an 1/8 of an inch (about the same as some of my open helmets) although it feels like more, but once I got used to it there was no real issues.
- The strap doesn’t have the little snap like my new helmets so the loose strap rattles around my neck, I’ll sew on some Velcro and it should be good to go.

Overall I’m very happy with the helmet, and while I won’t be trading it in for my full face version anytime soon I will be wearing it for local rides, and some of our bike nights. Not when I’m trying to push a little up in the mountains.

Cheers,
Doug

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
I have an HCI "Captain America" open face I wear in the hot time, and a Nolan full face I painted with the Texas flag I wear in the cold times. I believe that your helmet can really make a difference in getting other driver's attention.
I really prefer the open face, but when it's cold, my eyes tear up and it gets all over my glasses, so I wear the full face to keep my glasses clean.
I was concerned that the liner in my open face couldn't be taken out for cleaning until a sprint car friend of mine suggested a dryer sheet inside every time I wear it, Even in the hottest days, the dryer sheet keeps the helmet smelling fresh inside. Mike

jhillier71

Street Tracker
I just picked up a used Davida Classic Jet Helmet size large...The strap doesn’t have the little snap like my new helmets so the loose strap rattles around my neck, I’ll sew on some Velcro and it should be good to go.

Doug

Just use an silicone O ring washer, cheap and effortless (i.e. no sewing).

Since RumRunner beat me to that Davida (Lucky bastard. :p ), I contacted the oldschoolhelmet guy to see about painting my Bell 500. I have 3 other helmets so I can do without it for a few weeks. He replied within minutes. $139 with shipping and everything for the designs that I like. Kind of a lot, but it'd be cool to have a helmet that is a little different.

Thanks Mike for reminding me about that guy.

Probably get this one unless I can come up with something better:
4LUCKYSTRIKE.jpg

I guess I am getting off topic...

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Since RumRunner beat me to that Davida (Lucky bastard. :p ), I contacted the oldschoolhelmet guy to see about painting my Bell 500. I have 3 other helmets so I can do without it for a few weeks. He replied within minutes. $139 with shipping and everything for the designs that I like. Kind of a lot, but it'd be cool to have a helmet that is a little different.

Thanks Mike for reminding me about that guy.

Probably get this one unless I can come up with something better:
4LUCKYSTRIKE.jpg

I guess I am getting off topic...

Thanks I'm loving it so far... But I've been eying those lids as well, and might have to add one of those to my collection at some point but after I get a new full face for the twisties...

Anyone added a goggle strap to the Bell or other helmets? That is one thing that really bugs me. Looks like I could rivet a snap and strap in place. Just haven't had the guts yet to do it.

MJL1961

Scooter
goggle straps

I'm thinking about a Davida Classic 'pudding bowl' style too. Alot of $$, so I need some more 'convincing' . Do the shells come in different sizes for this style? I have a 'peanut' noggin (about 53 cm) & I don't think a 'one-size-fits-all' shell would look right.. especially for that kinda $$. Also, as there is not a goggle strap on the back, I assume, one would wear the strap below the shell (..over the back of the neck curtain) ??... Finally, If Im gonna spend the big bucks, does anyone use the 'snap-on' face mask???... opinions on effectiveness would be great!.. Originally, I was looking at the way less expensive options (JP model M0000) or the HJC, but the more comments I read, the more I think I should just 'bite the bullet' and pay for the real deal!!.. Mike