Open-faced helmets?

motomaniac

Street Tracker
Was thinking of getting one of the vintage-style, open-faced helmets for summer riding. Looked at the Cromwell and Davida brands but they both seem very expensive. Anybody have one of these? Opinions? Suggestions?

hankmarx

750cc
Bell is making some nice 3/4 buckets right now, for not that much.
Davidas look bitchen but cost too much.

I have a Bell Custom 500. It looks great and it very nice, but it lifts off my head above 65mph or so. It is a little maddening. I really like it around town, but if I am going to get on the highway, I have to leave it at home.

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
I have an RJs which I use for commuting all year round until it gets to winter here - great visibilty and I like the breeze in my face.
If I'm going anywhere which needs a bit of pace then it's the full-face because the RJs feels as though it is pulling me off the bike at speed.

drlapo

Hooligan
got an HJC and its OK
got a Davida jet and its great
got a Fulmer V2 (for free) its better than the HJC

motomaniac

Street Tracker
Thanks for the info! I'll check them out and see if I can lay my hands on one over here. Two questions:
1) Any problems with the Davida riding up on your head at speed? All of my riding is on the expressway so I am usually hauling ass most of the time....

and

2) Anyone use the goggles? Do you get raccoon eyes from wearing them?

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
I certainly got racoon eyes form using them - turned up at my office one morning and looked like a crackhead. Didn't even know until somebody advised me to check out the mirror.

Beaman

Two Stroke
Biltwell Hustler helmet for slow road cruising - very comfy and nice to have wind on the face. However, on the highway or when it's raining I use a Sparx FC-07 helmet. You still get some wind on your face and Sparx will replace the helmet if you ever crash.

motomaniac

Street Tracker
I certainly got racoon eyes form using them - turned up at my office one morning and looked like a crackhead. Didn't even know until somebody advised me to check out the mirror.

HaHa! Yeah, that's what I thought. I saw a scooter guy the other day with the raccoon look and I wondered if it was because of goggles. Either that or someone had just punched him in both eyes!

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
The bell does not have a goggle strap.

Also, the fulmer and biltwell have nicer interior. The bell feels really flimsy around the ears.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
i've got a burnt orange Bell 500 and it fits odd, is noisey and will lift but my Davida takes the cake. it's like wearing a velvet sponge cake on your head which wont come off and is much more quieter with a lwr profile than the Bell. I wear a pair of aviator goggles and sunglasses - great combo.

I also have an older Arai for shitty weather days and longer rides

T100JIP

Scooter
I use the Davida Classic, with Halcyon goggles with the tinted lenses. No complaints at all. I can say that the silk scarf is very effective when used on your face. It really cuts the wind well. T100JIP

simpson

TT Racer
I picked up a Biltwell. It had the Great Gazoo look to it.

Too thin at the base/chin area and too bulbous around the crown.

Off to check out the Bells in real life.

-simpson

Laymonite

moped
There are a few Davida Pudding Bowl helmets available on Ebay right now for $225...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Davi...QQitemZ200579902641QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

Just bought the silver one shown with the leather face mask.

Did use the Bell Drifter half helmet with Halcyon goggles (The Bell Drifter has the goggle strap); felt like the helmet was gonna get yanked off my head at speeds above 60 on my Bonnie.
The Drifter is a great helmet and is my preferred helmet on my cruiser that has a windshield.

THe Halcyon goggles are truly amazing I have not gotten racoon eyes.

Last edited: