Oil Leak at clutch actuator/lever on top of case

Ladies & Gents,

This past weekend I ran into a bit of a pickle on my 07 Bonnie to where it started spewing oil like an erupting volcano from the clutch actuator/lever on top of the clutch case. I didnt lose a ton of oil, but enough to make a good mess and to tell me there's definitely something not right here...ha.

I noticed there is a black seal/washer of sorts under the aluminum actuator/lever that looked to be raised, so i pushed that down via two flat head screw drivers to see if that would reseat things. This was last night so it was too late to start her up and see if the oil leak still happens. But I also noticed movement with the actuator/lever to where i can move it up and down. I've never messed with this before, so im not sure if this movement is normal or if it was there prior to this dilemma.

I can say that riding home was fine (rode straight home once I noticed this) but was about 20-25 miles out by this time. There were no issues with getting in/out of any gears at all and oil level seems to be ok.

All in all, has anyone experienced this with their bike and can you tell me what im in for, possibly? I am gonna start going through the interwebs and haynes to get an idea on things further. But just thought I'd bring it up here to see what others may think.

Maybe its time for a new push rod and this seal/washer - and is this something difficult to do?

Thanks in advance for any info on this

Jay Holden

Motley

750cc
It really shouldn't be that tough of a job to replace the seal. The thing is, why was it pushed out of it's seat. Check to see if the breather tube is blocked. :d

The actuator/lever on my bike moves up and down about 1mm to 1-1/2mm or so.

Last edited:
The seal is a simple one-minute replacement.

Removing the clutch cover is more of a job. The oil has to be drained, you have to remove the breather hose on top, then break free the cover (if it's never been removed), then plan to spend several hours carefully scraping off the gasket bits. Remove the cover over the sound-deadening rubbers on the inside, because you'll need access to what's under there to properly re-seat the little return spring. And pay attention to which way the little clutch-actuating dowel goes in; one end is round and one end is flat. I can never remember which end goes in.

Needless to say, buy a new clutch cover gasket when you buy the seal. And watch out for the notorious little wavy washer on the left. It has to go back where it came from when you put it back together.

It's not a difficult job, but you'll have to devote some time to the gasket if this is the first time the cover has come off. You might consider replacing the gear shift seal also while you're in there.

ttbonnie

Scooter
it will also easily pop back into place with a #1 flat head screwdriver. did that to mine- no leaks since

Motley

750cc
it will also easily pop back into place with a #1 flat head screwdriver. did that to mine- no leaks since

It seems that's what Jay did. The question is, what caused that much pressure to pop it out in the first place. Did you look any further into the cause of your seal unseating?

I had it happen to me as well on my 08 T100. Fortunate for me, I saw a weeping of oil and caught it before it volcano'd, so oil loss was very minimal. Like the others, I simply pushed it back into place with a flat head screw driver and never saw an issue again.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Never seen a leak there. its interesting. But a camshaft cover bolt did blow out and strip the threads while riding and shower my legs, crotch, and rest of the bloody bike with oil.

Never seen a leak there. its interesting. But a camshaft cover bolt did blow out and strip the threads while riding and shower my legs, crotch, and rest of the bloody bike with oil.

That happened to Adam a couple years ago on our way back from the first BIR Burn Up in eastern Oregon. In 80* weather, stop and go traffic up over Snoqualmie Pass and his bike started blowing oil thru one of the cam cover bolts. We think it was the same dealer that broke my camshaft and cross threaded his cam cover bolt.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
That happened to Adam a couple years ago on our way back from the first BIR Burn Up in eastern Oregon. In 80* weather, stop and go traffic up over Snoqualmie Pass and his bike started blowing oil thru one of the cam cover bolts. We think it was the same dealer that broke my camshaft and cross threaded his cam cover bolt.

Yah it was not a happy motorcycle birthday for me. I had already previously helicoiled this one and it blew that out. Now I have to fabricate a jig to hold it in a drill press and then Threadzert it. That shouldn't fail. I've a mind to do all of them. These things are matched to the fucking head and you can't buy them separately, and I don't think the threadzerts will fail. Sucks because no running bike right now. Course, it is now ridiculously hot here and not exactly fun to ride.

Thanks for the info, guys. I took the bike out this past weekend after trying to reseat the dust seal back into place using two flat head screw drivers. but no luck and its still leaking. Although, not nearly as much as it did originally (no erupting volcano this time)

@Baltobonneville (or whomever else might know) - when you say the dust seal replacement is a one minute job, do you mean i can remove the lifter arm and replace the seal without having to take the clutch case off?

Thanks for the help here, guys!

Jay

Last edited:

Motley

750cc
Jay, in order to replace that seal you'll need to remove the clutch cover, then remove the actuator shaft. You'll need a new clutch cover gasket too. It's not a tough job, just time consuming.

Thanks for the info, guys. I took the bike out this past weekend after trying to reseat the dust seal back into place using two flat head screw drivers. but no luck and its still leaking. Although, not nearly as much as it did originally (no erupting volcano this time)

@Baltobonneville (or whomever else might know) - when you say the dust seal replacement is a one minute job, do you mean i can remove the lifter arm and replace the seal without having to take the clutch case off?

Thanks for the help here, guys!

Jay

One minute to pull out the old seal and pop in the new one. Several hours for the necessary ancillary work! :huh: