Official "Bonneville Seat" thread

nzkiwi

Scooter
Fitted a Burton to my SE

Recently purchased a SE. Found the stock seat way too hard so I fitted a Burton DS003A seat. Must admit it isn't as flashy as some seats on this thread and I'm envious on how well some people polish their bikes. But while I just enjoy riding and admire a sparkling polished bike, I'd sooner be out there riding. I digress so back to my new Burton seat, it looks great was easy to fit and heaps more comfortable than the stock seat. Also being a inch or so higher helps with the seating posture and moves the wind blast from the fly screen just a little lower, all adding to the riding comfort. Also my pillion enjoys it a lot more than the stock seat.

Attachments

• DSCF6086.jpg
    DSCF6086.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 4

cantilever

Scooter
Recently purchased a SE. Found the stock seat way too hard so I fitted a Burton DS003A seat. Must admit it isn't as flashy as some seats on this thread and I'm envious on how well some people polish their bikes. But while I just enjoy riding and admire a sparkling polished bike, I'd sooner be out there riding. I digress so back to my new Burton seat, it looks great was easy to fit and heaps more comfortable than the stock seat. Also being a inch or so higher helps with the seating posture and moves the wind blast from the fly screen just a little lower, all adding to the riding comfort. Also my pillion enjoys it a lot more than the stock seat.

Dunno - yours looks decent enough - with all that riding, the wheels are spotless, and it's amazing that your pipes don't have any blue at all.... :p

how is the padding in the burton seat? Soft, hard? have you done any 8+ hour days on it? That's the good thing about the foam that bill mayer did - it's comfy for around 10 hours or so in the saddle.

Last edited:

nzkiwi

Scooter
The bike is spotless because it is only 3 weeks old and no blue on the exhausts yet and only 1000 km on the clock. Just moved across from a V-Strom to a bike better suited to my age and short legs. My wife describes the seat padding as comfortable, definitely softer than the stock seat, but not what I would describe as a soft seat. So only spent 3 hour in the saddle with the Burton and for those length trips it is great. I'd be happy to do more. The stock seat was only good for about 1 hour. The other notable difference was with the stock seat and hard suspension, there was a lot of jarring. With the Burton seat this has eased substantially.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Its a Norman Hyde cafe single. The hump in the back was ungainly so I took the vinyl off, sanded down the hump down and re covered with black leather.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 4

Lobo

Scooter
Corbin Gunfighter seat guys

Do you find the seat slick and slide around abit ? Does the backend line up with the frame holes so you dont need to push it down to align ?

08BB

Scooter
Seat Opinion

Sorry, wrong side posted:

IMG_7540.jpg

I like the look of the 1" you've added to the stock seat. Maybe a couple more profile pics back about 15ft, would give a better proportional perspective. I'm 6 ft and change and was looking for more distance between the seat and pegs too.

I've been trying to decide between modding the original like you or going with a Sixty8 contemporary and adding an inch to it.

Did you go with any high tech foam or anything special....who modded your seat and did you find the price reasonable?

Thanks

Have you had a chance to spend a lot of time in the saddle.

koifarm

Hooligan
Anyone have a good idea on the best seat cleaner/preserver? What do most of you use to keep the seat looking nice without sliding off it when you take off ?

Heizer

Scooter
I'm 6 ft and change and was looking for more distance between the seat and pegs too.

A quick way to add about an inch of leg space is to reverse the footpegs. (That is to say, flip them and put them on the opposite sides.). Yes, it does leave the steel ground scraper facing up, but I did it for a long-distance trip, and it's quick and effective.

It only takes a few minutes to try it out, and if you don't like the looks of those nobs facing up, you can swap them back just as quick.

Either way, good luck!

grantm

moped
T100 Seat

I have a Burton seat, its comfy enough for short medium rides, and the only trouble I have had with it is the chrome strip fell off the LHS not long after fitting - but Burton sent me a replacement N/C - much appreciated.

Attachments

• T100 002.jpg
    T100 002.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 5

truckdude

Scooter
Here are some dumb newby seat questions, I'd like to add a cowl to my 2001 Standard. Do the Sixty8 cowls work with a stock two person seat? I'll be riding solo 99% of the time but I might want to bungee a duffle bag to the back of the seat now and then. I assume the Sixty8 cowls just pop on and off. The fasteners appear to be about half way up the side of the seat, is there hardware that sticks up when the cowl is off? Any other cowls out there?

Here are some dumb newby seat questions, I'd like to add a cowl to my 2001 Standard. Do the Sixty8 cowls work with a stock two person seat? I'll be riding solo 99% of the time but I might want to bungee a duffle bag to the back of the seat now and then. I assume the Sixty8 cowls just pop on and off. The fasteners appear to be about half way up the side of the seat, is there hardware that sticks up when the cowl is off? Any other cowls out there?

Will it work with a standard bonneville seat? Not really. Or at least not without doing some other modification to the seat. Your best bet would be to find a Thruxton seat and remove the cowl when you want to ride two up or you want to bungee something. Not sure if you're aware, but there is a passanger seat under the Thruxton cowl on a standard Thruxton seat.

truckdude

Scooter
Thanks, I did some research on another Triumph board. It looks like I need either a Thruxton or Contemporary seat (which are supposedly the same). The Triumph website doesn't give any details on this.

I suppose I could try my hand at making a cowl. It might end up looking too wide with the standard seat.

rodhotter

Scooter
i am another satisfied DS003 seat user, i was lucky to find one on ebay, makes a bonnie look WELL like a bonnie should aka my 70 model burton bike bits has many satisfied customers, and reportedly delivers pretty quick to the USA

Last edited:

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I have a "contemporary" seat on my Bonnie. The cowl fits. Mine is a gel, which is apparently standard for this seat. I hear lots of negatives about gel, particularly with how it responds to hot weather. Well I just rode it all through a VERY hot summer here in Western Australia and it has been great. Really comfy and it looks good too.

sjcbonn

moped
RE the #155 post '09 Bonneville seat on 2012 T100; does it fit without modifications. I just purchased a 2013 T100 and would like to get a seat like that but, how do you know if the standard Bonneville seat from a given year will fit my 2013 T100?

RE the #155 post '09 Bonneville seat on 2012 T100; does it fit without modifications. I just purchased a 2013 T100 and would like to get a seat like that but, how do you know if the standard Bonneville seat from a given year will fit my 2013 T100?

Any OEM EFI Bonneville/Scrambler/Thruxton seat will fit another EFI Bonneville/Scrambler/Thruxton frame. The seats are interchangeable.