Off-set handle bar post for Bonneville

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
This is the follow-up thread to the previous one.

The off-set handlebar post for Bonneville is one of the original parts sold by Triumph North Yokohama in Japan. The product description says that the handle bar can be relocated by about one inch closer to the rider. Well, it sounds nice for typical Japanese riders, like myself, with relatively short arms.
20150524c.jpg

So, I have replaced the handle bar post, and here is the before/after pictures for comparisons. As you can see, the handle bar is now positioned closer and a little bit lower than the original. I have not done the test drive, but it should have a siginificant effect on the riding position for such a small change.
20150526d.jpg

20150526a.jpg

Last edited:

Motley

750cc
The "posts" aren't as good looking, but should feel significantly different than stock. How is clearance to the tank affected?

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
Montley-san,
Thank you for reminding me of this. In fact, I have just found out that there are not enough clearance between the both ends of bars and tank (emblem)…. well, I guess I should think about something else...

Motley

750cc
Montley-san,
Thank you for reminding me of this. In fact, I have just found out that there are not enough clearance between the both ends of bars and tank (emblem)…. well, I guess I should think about something else...

Oops!

Maybe just rotate the bars a bit.

strokerlmt

Road…….I had offsets once, same problem with tank….I put a 1/4 inch aluminum spacer under the clamps then I had bar tank clearance.
LMT

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
Motley-san….yes, indeed (Oops!).
I tried:
- rotating a bar
- rotating switch components and thus levers.

It turned out that both were not the solution in this particular case.
Well, it sometimes happen in doing private modifications...

Last edited:

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
strokerlmt-san,
Thank you for the good advise! It seems it should work well.
Alternatively, I was wondering to cut both bar ends, while making sure that the sufficient lengths remains to re-attache the switch components...

Motley

750cc
Roadmanbo-san, I wouldn't cut the bars, that would reduce your leverage somewhat, and you might want them at stock length some time in the future.

I think strokerlmt's suggestion might be a better solution. You can try it, by placing a stack of washers, or something similar, under the risers (posts) until you get the clearance you need.

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
Motley-san,
Thank you for your kind advise, and I agree with you on that the cutting the bar ends may not be the good solution and should be considered as the very last thing to do. As you suggested, using a spacer ring is the first thing to do if I stick to the off-set posts.