Not a good Monday

britman

Scooter
Well yesterday I found I will joining the growing number of unemployed. For 13 years I have been working for an family owned electrical supply company with locations through out the south. We were brought in after arriving at work and informed our branch will be closing on Friday. We were mainly a residential supply house and never fully recovered from the housing market crash. I do have retirement from a former law enforcement career and was given a decent severance package but I must say, it is a strange feeling to be out of work for the first time at age 64. I have some major decisions to make in the next few months and will be OK. I really would like to see some hope on the horizon for a turn around in our economy soon, but at the present I am not overly optimistic..........

Bad luck!
Best wishes to you mate.
We are about the same age (me 63 this year), I retired 6 years ago and recommend it to all. Sure I've tightened my belt a little but when offered a good job recently I ran a mile. Nothing better than staying home on Saturday and Sunday and riding from Monday to Friday.

Mark

750cc
The housing market here in Canada is stagnant also. Nature of the beast I guess. Somebody asked me if I was retired the other day, I said, not on purpose.

strokerlmt

Good luck. At 62 the past 5 years have been very frustrating for me. I have learned to not over focus and to keep pressing forward. All will be good I predict.
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I was "retired" against my will, but so be it. I try to live on a cash basis so I watch what I spend for sure. By the way I agree with otherwise, very nice to ride thru the week and avoid the crazies on the weekend. I shot a video heading to the top of my favorite canyon to ride and since it was on a weekday, there was only one car on the road.

Very nice to ride during the week.

T-boy

Rocker
britman...is retirement a possibility? Then finding a part-time job to supplement your income? I retired last year, and like most retirees have to watch my expenses closely, but I'm really enjoying not having to report to anybody (except my wife). In any event, good luck to you and I hope everything works out for the best.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I'm sorry to hear about this Britman. Keep your head up through this storm and press...you are going to be fine. Take one of those fine Trumpets out for a stroll if you need to clear your head...you have three to choose from!!!!

JimmyR

Street Tracker
My wife just lost her job as a result the bad economy. But as we were dealing with that we found that a friend of my son was dead at 15 years old so my wife said "Wow - it could be worse." Of course we're bummed by her losing her job - we were relying on it rather because business is very slow for me also. But we're healthy and our 15 yr old son is fantastic, so things will work out. I hope they work out for you too.

innominate

Street Tracker
Come to Austin. The housing market and economy are kicking. There's good riding too. The cost of living is a little up there though

britman

Scooter
Thanks Guys

I appreciate the kind responses and input. I am truly leaning toward retirement, the list is very short of companies wanting to hire a 64 year gassy old man. I have pulled out my fishing poles which haven't seen use in years. I know it will take some self reprogramming and a change in financial planning. The good thing is I grew up country poor and really do like bolonga and potted meat with crackers. I do feel for my younger co-workers. One ad from a local firm for a warehouse/receiving position had over 900 applications.