Newbonnie's Temp gauge

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I ordered the screw in Temp gauge from Newbonnie and so far It's been real nice to see what the oil temp is. My only complaint was that when I first screwed it in it was upside down. A quick note to the Newbonnie guys rectified that. I'm sure they thought "Duh, turn the guage till it suits your line of vision".
Anyway, an informative little accessory, just don't fixate on it for a long period of time.:eek:

Not criticizing, but I cannot figure out why anyone would be interested in the oil temperature. There's absolutely nothing you can do with this information, it's just distraction, the way some people regard their speedometers.

Hedge

American Infidel
Not criticizing, but I cannot figure out why anyone would be interested in the oil temperature. There's absolutely nothing you can do with this information, it's just distraction, the way some people regard their speedometers.
Marty - in my opinion when it comes to any air cooled engine I want to know what the oil temperature is and the oil pressure is. These are the two things that can save your air cooled engine from seizing without you knowing about it.

:) Yep Hedge has my vote...oil temp and pressure if you have it is very worth while. Not only can it save your bacon, but it can give you a good indication of what temperature and pressure your baby sings at best. Good time to thrash and then again, maybe not quite up to thrash temp just yet...

So was that what Brent said?...just turn it till its good?

Cheers ....:cool:

The_Dog33

Scooter

Not true, if you are in heavy traffic and are unable to go around you know when you need to shut down and let the bike cool. I had just such a situation on 95 heading north in to CT. There was lots of construction and I had no room with the barriers, when I got over 225 I started getting nervous I was about to shut down and let the bike cool when we finally came out of it. I also made myself an oil pressure gauge and look at it now and then since by the time an idiot light comes on (if you can even see it lit) it is too late. With the gauge you may catch a drop in pressure in time to prevent any real damage.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Another plus although it's minor, is you now have a "tooless" way to unscrew the oil filler. I'm a big fan of the tooless thing.

JEnfield

Street Tracker
They are also nice when you go to a rally and someone spots it and takes your new nice temp gauge and replaces with a chipped up stock one because you had one and they didn't and it doesn't need a tool to take off. Who ever took mine I hope it bust and all your oil blows out on your rear wheel and you crash your fuckin bike.

Jimmy

Hedge

American Infidel
They are also nice when you go to a rally and someone spots it and takes your new nice temp gauge and replaces with a chipped up stock one because you had one and they didn't and it doesn't need a tool to take off. Who ever took mine I hope it bust and all your oil blows out on your rear wheel and you crash your fuckin bike.

Jimmy
Jimmy - WTF? someone uncrewed your Temp Guage and replaced it with their own POS? Was this at Carlisle?

JEnfield

Street Tracker
No overnight at Bennington I got up Sunday morning to find someone had replaced my temp gauge with a stock crewed up plug . So I hope they enjoy it maybe it will bring them some bad luck .

Jimmy

MattRat

TT Racer
No overnight at Bennington I got up Sunday morning to find someone had replaced my temp gauge with a stock crewed up plug . So I hope they enjoy it maybe it will bring them some bad luck .

Jimmy

That's pretty fucked up considering 99.9% chance it was someone there for the bash!

KingBear

Hooligan
Yeah, I worry about taking my Bonnie with the Monza fuel cap to a Triumph rally. I'd be afraid to turn my back on a $135.00 gas cap.

Hedge

American Infidel
That's pretty fucked up considering 99.9% chance it was someone there for the bash!
That is 100% what I'm thinking! Some low-life who was at the bash, who probably participates in either the BTB Forum and or this forum definitely took it. To narrow it down even more, the POS probably stayed at the same hotel as you.

Last edited:

JEnfield

Street Tracker
I got a real good idea who it was he should up late hung around like he was part of the crew and even left real early even before most of us got up. Its no big deal I have drank more in a night then it cost. That monza cap on the other hand would have caused me to fuckin kill someone. I bet Brent will sell my dad another next christmas.

Jimmy

NEPatriots9

Scooter
Shitty, just shitty. That's real sad to think that someone would do that when it's a bunch of Triumph guys hanging around. If someone takes my Monza cap I'm going to call Jimmy and Hedge to come get them, lord knows I ain't big enough to give anyone nightmares.

Dsinned

Scooter
Sorry to hear about such a thing. DISGRACEFUL!!!

This is one reason why I went with an oil "pressure" gauge instead of the more popular one for oil temperature available from NewBonneville and other vendors. The latter is just too easy to rip off!

Also, my rationale is that you get more useful info by monitoring oil pressure vs. temperature. Knowing your engine's oil pressure is probably much more vital.

I suspect many of us often forget to check the oil level sight glass, and just rely on the idiot light, but that is not infallible or possibly burnt out. With the means to monitor engine oil pressure, however, you can find out quickly if you are ever dangerously low on oil. It can also be used indirectly to tell you how hot your engine is running. The hotter the engine the lower the oil pressure and vice versa.

Last edited: