newbie but i cant find good enough info on years

jjs723

moped
I am going to buy my 1st bike bonnie as you peeps call them. but, I want to know what year I should look for. It seem the fuelling on pre 2013 have problem but fixable( with a cork hahah), or should I just save up more and get something new post 14? here my idea. I want to make a brat, but I also want to have it so I can take small trips out of state or go camping. what are you ideas? thank you

jjs723

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
Personally, I prefer the 2004-2008 865cc carbureted Bonnevilles and Thruxtons as they are simpler to work on, modify and maintain. I know of no serious defects or common issues with these years/models. You can turn these into anything your heart desires.

jjs723

moped
What's a brat?

A brat style bike is a non-rigid custom with either a flat, slab seat long enough to ride two-up, or a solo seat lowered via mild frame modification. It has a lowered stance with most unnecessary equipment removed–fairings, chrome, etc. Handlebars can be mini-apes, superbike bars, or motocross bars–but no clip-ons.

Also I never played with carbs. Are they hard to turn out?

Jjs723

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
In my opinion and experience, carbs are far more owner and mod friendly than EFI because you can actually do physical things to them, without the need of a computer. You can change jet sizes, adjust floats, drill out slides, increase air-flow, etc. There are lots of articles and resources online for adjusting/modifying the stock Keihin CVK carbs (36mm), or for switching to other higher performance models such as the Mikuni HSR's (42mm - 45mm) as I have done. If you are more of a computer geek and can get into learning to tweak things that way, then EFI might be better for you. I just prefer the carbs.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
You seem comfortable with EFI, so I'd start with one of those machines. There were some fueling issues early on, but I believe most of those have been tuned out or are easily resolved. You'll have to remap along the line anyway, so no worries on the year. Pre-2012 doesn't have CANBUS, so I'd probably go with an '09 - '11 model to avoid being married to the speedometer. There are horror stories out there of folks stashing the stock speedo under the seat when trying to run custom clocks. Pick the base machine that gives you wheels (mags or wires) that you want to live with as changing wheels is pricey. A T100 or scrambler has wires with 17 rear /19 front (chrome steel rims) and a thruxton has wires with 17 rear / 18 front (alloy rims). All mag wheel bonnies or SEs have 17" wheels front & back. All the rest is roughly the same.

Good luck,

--Rich

drlapo

Hooligan
I've had no problems with my 05 Thruxton
But it only has 20000 mile on it so the only thing that has worn out is tires

This is close...hotdogs are first cousins to brats, right?

http://dragondawn.deviantart.com/art/Hotdog-Mobile-67103164

Unless you count Bratmobile as a vehicle for something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratmobile

Sometimes confused with the Weinermobile.

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for wienermobile","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"73","width":"123","src":"http:\/\/tse1.mm.bing.net\/th?id=OIP.M1fd7da9ed636e8bb031ab52896a9d822H0&w=123&h=73&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.25&pid=3.1&rm=2"}[/IMG2]

Hi,
i am also looking to buy my first bonnie. I really dislike the look of the kinked exhausts/silencers on some of the newer bikes and prefer the spoked wheels to the mag ones. My husband is great with mechanics so no problem with carb models. I really want something reliable that resembles the older classic models and maybe something I can add a few tasteful bits of styling to? The new T100 is gorgeous but not keen to buy a new bike that then may have problems! I've read a few negatives about the stree twin also. Anyway a low mileage 2004 to 2008 is looking preferable having read this forum . I am female, 5'6" tall so think the t120 may be a bit heavy....... so much to choose from!

beemerrich

Street Tracker
All carbed bikes are spokes....so no worries about that preference. Pre-'08 has the slimline fuel tanks...they're a bit more svelte/attractive to my eye, but that is something for you to decide. Of those machines, the '07 machines (& newer) have both the 865 motor and the reinforced case webbing at the starter's idler gear - which are desirable features to most. At 5'6" tall, I'd probably go bonnie or T-100 to get the lower saddle height. The scramber has about a 32" seat height and the thruxton is something like 31". I have a 31" inseam and get along fine on my thruxton, but I'm also comfortable having only one solid foot down/not being able to flat foot my machine. Good luck in your decision.