New Works Black Trackers installed!

UraniumC

Banned
Got my Works Black Trackers installed this afternoon. As I’m a mechanical moron…

Had to scramble to find the torque specs. Thought it was in the owner’s manual, but no luck. A call to the dealer worked: 27 Nm

I may have over tightened the left side. Just didn’t have the feel for the torque wrench, but nothing stripped so I hope I’m ok.

The bolts had dried blue locktite on them. I cleaned it off, but not perfectly. They seemed to thread back on fine. Yep, I put new locktite on!

Toughest part was getting the shocks slide onto the studs as they didn’t quite line up. Had to pound a bit…

Next step is to draft a pal to help me set the pre-load…

They sure do look pretty. Much lighter than the stockers. About 2/3rds the wgt.

Really looking forward to taking them for a ride, if it ever stops raining around here.

Hedge

American Infidel
Looking forward to a ride report on them since the suspension is the only thing left that I want to do. However, since my bike is a 2007 I'm gonna wait until this season is over before I change my stuff so that I really am familiar with the stock suspension and really understand the difference when I change over. After that I'm done!

UraniumC

Banned
Looking forward to a ride report on them since the suspension is the only thing left that I want to do. However, since my bike is a 2007 I'm gonna wait until this season is over before I change my stuff so that I really am familiar with the stock suspension and really understand the difference when I change over. After that I'm done!

You got it! My expections, given what I've been told, are high.

Last year the Progressives when on the front and they made a huge difference in controlling brake dive (the issue I was looking to correct) and they shaprpened the feel.

If I had it to do over, I'd go with the same brand front and rear. But hopefully these will work well together.

MES

750cc
I got Black trackers. The continously threaded preload makes it super easy.

I like mine and I venture to say that you'll like yours.
The duel springs are a good compromise for an all around bike. Got some cush for the slabs but they stiffen right up for the twisties.

Have you done the front yet and what system did you go with?

UraniumC

Banned
I got Black trackers. The continously threaded preload makes it super easy.

I like mine and I venture to say that you'll like yours.
The duel springs are a good compromise for an all around bike. Got some cush for the slabs but they stiffen right up for the twisties.

Have you done the front yet and what system did you go with?

Last year the Progressives went on the front and they made a huge difference in controlling brake dive (the issue I was looking to correct) and they sharpened the feel.

Are you running works on the front?

How do you set the continously threaded pre-load? They sent me the tool with the shocks and it's easy to see how to use it. But how do you make sure both sides have the same setting and what that setting is?

With the stockers five choices it was easy!

MES

750cc
Are you running works on the front?
Yeah, I got Works front and back. They're a custom set.
They make a big difference in the way the bike balances out.

How do you set the continously threaded pre-load? They sent me the tool with the shocks and it's easy to see how to use it. But how do you make sure both sides have the same setting and what that setting is?
To make sure that both side are set equally you"ll need a set of calipers or very finely graduated ruler. If you don't have that that the use a piece of stiff paper and make a tick mark. Use that to check the other side.
When you think you got them adjusted where you want them make another tick mak and recheck.

You can turn 'em by hand for a while, then you got to use the wrench.
Use a tape measure to measure the sag.
Get the bike on a flat piece of ground.
put it in gear and roll it til it locks.
1.balance the bike (with you not on it) and have a friend take a measurement from a fixed point on the bike ( I used the bottom of the fender) to the ground (mark the point on the ground)
That is measurement "A"
2.get on the bike and place as much of your weight on it as possable, at least one foot on the pegs. (I used my elbow against a wall so I could put both feet on the pegs) Take a measurement from the EXACT SAME PLACES.
That's measurent "B"

"A"-"B"= between 1.25"/ 1.75" Adjust and remeasure (step 2 only).
Repeat untill a-b= 1.25"/ 1.75."

since these are continously threaded there is a potental for the preload nut to turn just from daily use. You can put a slippage mark on 'em or safety wire them. I didn't bother. I just measure mine occasionally.

You should measure the front too. same proceedure as the rear except measure from the bottom of the lower triples to the top of the outer fork tube.

The difference will be night and day between stock and these things.

Enjoy the lack of wonkyness in the corners.

UraniumC

Banned
If you don't have that that the use a piece of stiff paper and make a tick mark. Use that to check the other side.
When you think you got them adjusted where you want them make another tick mak and recheck.

"A"-"B"= between 1.25"/ 1.75" Adjust and remeasure (step 2 only).
Repeat untill a-b= 1.25"/ 1.75."

Thanks, MES...

Some dumb questions:

What/where am I measuring with the stiff paper?

1.5" is ideal, +or- .25", correct?

When turning the pre-load nut, which direction moves is which way?

Thanks!

MES

750cc
No worries on the ?s. It easy. It just sound complicated when you have to write it all out.
If I came over to your home and we just did it you would be like "Oh man, that's it.?" 15-20 minutes.
(and do like was suggested and use some anti seize or grease on the mount bolts. You don't want them rust and stick.)

What/where am I measuring with the stiff paper?
You asked how you tell if they (the shocks) were adjusted evenly.
what you are measuring is the the amount of compression ( or how far down the nut is in relation to the start of the threads at the top of the shock body)
Rest the edge of the paper on top of the adjustment nut and make your tick mark where the threads start on the top of the shock body. Then go to the other shock. rest the paper on the top of the check nut an see if the tick mark is where the thread starts. If it isn't then just turn the nut untill it is.

Now your ready to set the sag.

1.5" is ideal, +or- .25", correct?
It's not so much a matter of "ideal" as it is more what is ideal for you and your type of riding.
The more sag (the greater the number) the cushier the ride. Good for general riding or freeways but a little soft in the corners when pushed. It might feel vauge or wonder.
Less sag is going to give a firmer ride and is better for sportier riding but you'll feel the bumps more.

Don't be afriad to experiment. Set them for 1.5" and ride it for a while and see what you think. Do I want it a little stiffer? A little softer?
Then maybe stiffen or soften them up by a 2-3 turns and ride it some more.

once you have the preload set it is very easy to make changes.
see what work best for you.
There is nothing to say that you can't set it up for your type of adverage riding and if you wake up one morning and want to bomb the canyons that you can't take your wrench and firm them up by a couple of turns. when you get back just put them turn 'em back. 5 minutes total

When turning the pre-load nut, which direction moves is which way?
The threads are standard
clockwise increases preload (the nut moves down the shock body and compresses the spring, increasing preload)
Counterclockwise decreases the preload by moving the nut up allowing the spring to expand.

increased preload=less sag=stiffer ride
decreased preload=more sag=softer ride.

Jhtjon

Street Tracker
Hedge:

Just buy a set of the ZRX shocks. I bough mine a week ago and and can't say enough about them. There is no adjusting curve, I have yet to find a bad adjustment setting just some that are better than others.

UraniumC

Banned
"If I came over to your home and we just did it you would be like "Oh man, that's it.?"

you're only in LA, what time shall i expect you?:D

Seriously, great explaination and much appriciated. You should offer your tech writing skills to Works. ;)