New rear

MattRat

TT Racer
haven't gotten around to mounting it yet, but here is the new 140 next to the stock 130 (Bridgestone Battlax)

140rear.jpg

DavidC

Rocker
Looks like just enough wideness. How many miles on the old one?
When I bought my '72 Bonneville years ago, it had a 16" rear wheel with a fat tire [not sure, maybe 5 inch?]. The guy had it a bit harleyized, high handlebar, sissy bar, corbin seat. Rode it like that for a while and it was ok until spokes broke in the rear. Traded the 16" for a stock wheel and new tire put on a low handle bar and what a difference in handling! Much better, a hell of a lot better.
Is there an advantage to a fatter tire? They look cool.

MattRat

TT Racer
almost 10,000 miles on the original - and the front is still fine.

I really don't know that there will be a major difference in the handling - it's not that much wider than stock...I'll let you know once it's on

CAPTDON

Street Tracker

Had it on mine for 6 mo. Love it!! Little better handling & looks MUCH better! It seems to be wearing better as well! Be careful tho- it changes the way it sits on the side stand!! When / if you move it fwd, its not as noticable that the stand is dragging ever so slightly past the center point & we all know whay happens then!! You WILL like it!

MattRat

TT Racer
Well I finally got this mounted and did my first real ride - about 200 miles yesterday with the CT Rockers. slippery!

Everyone liked the looks. Handling was a little different, but nothing major. Also switched to M bars, which makes a handling difference as well.

biker7

Banned
Why didn't you go 150?...which seems to be a popular swap.
Concerned about the handling downside?
George

CAPTDON

Street Tracker

I & most of my friends have gone up to the 140. Looks better & the handling is as good or better! Now for longevity?

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Why didn't you go 150?...which seems to be a popular swap.
Concerned about the handling downside?
George

I ran a 150 rear for 6,000 miles...no clearance issues...looked great...especially with the rear fender chopped...but after speaking to numerous riders (of all sorts) about some handling concerns I had, I decided to go back to the 130 (but with a taller aspect ratio) and the handling was awesome...quicker over the 150 and they wore better too. Now on my third set (as of last Thursday)...with the same set up! I also lowered the front end 5/8" of an inch (turn in with the taller rear is awesome). Just my POV.

AnyWho...Looks great Matt! One more thing...May I ask why you're sticking with the BT45? I don't know anyone that likes those tires? Just curious...:)

MattRat

TT Racer
Honestly, I got 10k miles out of the first one, I'm not normally a super-agressive rider, and for the price versus the other tires I was looking at and their usable life, it wasn't a rough decision. That and the front is still fine and I wasn't going to replace it, and I always heard front & rear should be same make/model (heard that way back when...not sure if it still applies)

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Honestly, I got 10k miles out of the first one, I'm not normally a super-agressive rider, and for the price versus the other tires I was looking at and their usable life, it wasn't a rough decision. That and the front is still fine and I wasn't going to replace it, and I always heard front & rear should be same make/model (heard that way back when...not sure if it still applies)

I replace front and rear always...same with the brake pads...we do not have the luxury a car has if there is a failure...not to say brand new parts don't fail...but it's always peice of mind! Here is the tire I am running now...I'm on my second set (the last set changed out at 10,000miles with at least 1,000-2,000 left? I also had a Track day on that set!) I have little money and the price was right at the time, so I got the newest set right away. Anyhow...they are the Bridgestone Spitfire SP11R, I got both the front and rear for $135.00 shipped to my house from Motorcycle-Superstore.com...they are a Sport Touring and dual compound...work great in the rain...handle the twisties great and look great (if you care about such a detail) on the Bonnie(s)...Just an opinion...

Cheers!