New new Bonneville

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I'm not done developing my thruxton...nor have I worn her out yet!

I'll take a street twin with hot cams and T120 head/duel TBs...

Mark

750cc
That would be a nice combo.
First order of 5 R's sold out, second order due late May, 5 also, all sold. No more until end of year.

D9

Vendor
Finally got up close to a Street Twin a few weeks ago... just
studied it for awhile... beautiful bike.

Motley

750cc
I don't like 'em. They just don't look right to me. They're as close to modern classics as the Daytona 675.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I don't like 'em. They just don't look right to me. They're as close to modern classics as the Daytona 675.

Other than the radiator, is there something else that bugs you?

For me, the USD forks on the thruxton r make it seem too modern, but I'm okay with most of the rest of the offerings as far as style points go...and, yeah, the radiator annoys me - even more than the oil cooler did.

Motley

750cc
Other than the radiator, is there something else that bugs you?

For me, the USD forks on the thruxton r make it seem too modern, but I'm okay with most of the rest of the offerings as far as style points go...and, yeah, the radiator annoys me - even more than the oil cooler did.

The radiator really doesn't bug me so much. I think Triumph did a good job making it as unobtrusive as they did. It's the whole package that I don't like, the more I look at 'em, the more I just don't like the look of 'em. The "modern classics" have a certain "je ne sais quoi" that just isn't there on these new bikes. Yes, the Thruxton R spec has nice updated farkles but the same, or similar, springy bits and stoppers can be added to the older Thruxtons. I look at my '05 Thruxton and it looks bloody beautiful, and there's nothing else like it from any other manufacturer, including Triumph.

Last edited:

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Overall, I like them all. I wasn't dissing the Thruxton R...just feel it looks more neo-retro than retro. The street twin also has a bit more modern appeal, but not quite as modern looking as the R.

I'll probably ride one someday, but not until I've sufficiently fucked up my '04 thruxton and need to start over...

--Rich

"Two wheels good, four wheels bad..." - George Orwell

Mark

750cc
I don't expect everyone to like them, but this is the "new Bonneville" site not the "new Bonneville air cooled" site. Just sayin'. I wouldn't like to see Triumph continuing to produce the same old, in the manner of HD, but having said that they still do make the old Thruxton, which looks more like a bargain now.

Motley

750cc
As I recall, years ago the Meriden guys complained about the Hinckley modern classics. What goes around, comes around.

Mark

750cc
Hah yeah. Change is always hard on some. Doesn't take away from what came before, makes it more special IMHO which is why people pay big bucks for some old stuff.

Mark

750cc
nice, an R or the regular? I looked at the non R the other day, it's 1800 cheaper in Canada but still a nice bike for those that don't need the Ohlins etc.

drlapo

Hooligan
I put triumph waxed cotton bags and a flyscreen on the thruxton.
I'm taking it on a 200 mile ride to New Hampshire today.
So far I've found no glaring faults.
The suspension seems to be fine for me and my riding style

The fueling is spot on.
Let's see how I feel after 4 hours in the saddle