new Bonnie owner questions

jdLong

moped
Hi everyone, this is my first post so I'll give ya'll a little info up front. I've been riding for 50 years but this is my first Bonneville (new 2013 mag wheel). I love the bike - I call it my "old man" bike - but being an experienced motorcyclist, there were issues that needed to be addressed. First the stock suspension: correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the 21st century, so how can the rear shocks be on par with my first bike ('66 cb77 Honda)? So the first order of business was suspension upgrade. I now have Hagon 2810's in the rear and Ricor intimidators up front - not perfect but a vast improvement over stock. Next I'd like to free up that sweet motor to let it breath a little easier.I'm not looking for major horsepower gains, just make it run and sound a bit better. For the time being I'm planning on TOR mufflers and a K&N filter in the stock airbox. I know that I'll need a upgraded download to make it run properly but here's where I need your advice. My nearest Triumph dealer is 200 miles away in a neighboring state where it's not illegal to make your motorcycle run better. If I bolt on these parts will it harm the motor to run it without the download? Will it run ok with the O2 sensors in place (with the download)? I know there are lots of small thing that can be done to make it run better and make more power but I want to keep it simple and make it appear as stock as possible so the California smog cops don't bust me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

zmilin

Street Tracker
I just did some very similar mods on my wives 13 T100.
I went with Ricors up front, Hagon Nitros out back added a Breathe intake and TPUSA Domintors and topped it all off with a TTP tune.
I did it the hard way and used a MAC to do the tune update and it really wasn't so bad.
You can pull your O2 sensors and use oil drain bolts to plug them. I was forced into that since I forgot to order the kit.
One thing you didn't mention was removing the AI and that was also painless.

Do you have a laptop? If you do you can do it all in your garage.

Clyde12

Scooter
Jeff,
I did a similar mod to my '12. Arrow 2-1 (O2 sensor removal), SAI removal, TTP Breathe w/ DNA filter, air box baffle removal and TTP tune. It worked out great and as zmilim said, I did it all in my garage. That setup goes a long way in getting rid of that nasty throttle snatch, but the O2 removal is the key. There's a great explanation on the TTP website. Good luck with the project.

Here's a question... I just got off the phone with my dealer regarding having my Arrow 2 into 1 exhaust installed and bike remapped. When I asked if the installation would also include blocking off the O2 sensors, they responded like I had asked the most idiotic question known to man. I was advised that "all EFI bikes require the O2 sensors, otherwise the bike would run like crap".

So my question is this, if I have them do the install and map, and I did the blocking of the AI and O2 sensors in my garage, would this require a new map? Or will the initial Arrow map be fine?

squidsix

Scooter
It's been my experience that these dealers know very little about non-factory mods. My dealer in VA didn't even know what TUNECU was, and kept telling me not to install a Power Commander (not even close to what I was asking) and that the AI system made it run better.
So...read here, read the tech data on TTP's page, etc. You're FAR better off without your dealer.

I'm having the dealer install the exhaust and remap the bike for the Arrow 2 into 1, and I'll take care of disabling the SAI and O2 sensors, I just don't know if I'll have to remap the bike simply becaue I removed the SAI and O2.