need more power

mikenva

Rocker
20 more hp and you would change your mind lol even with what you have done.I wish all you guys could ride a high hp bonnie one time you would see for yourself how much it changes a bike .I was just like you guys till I had one.yall all know about being on the edge on the twistys but when its like that on the strights to its a rush that cant be beat.

Mike, I'd cream my pants with 20 more BHP. The Bonnie is a cracker and with extra power would be superb - I just need a cash injection or a lottery win to do it. ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

strokerlmt

A couple of weeks ago I had an opportunity to ride a nice stock 06 Thruxton. I must say, and I am fortunate to have had some cash a few years back, to mod my engine. The difference in the torque, pull, speed whatever you want to call it is impressive for our bikes. Yes you can spend 12-14k on a sport bike with lots of hp....or purchase a used Bonneville or Thrux for 5k amd re do the engine with TPUSA and have a great classic naked speedster.
Just my opinion
LMT

mikenva

Rocker
lmt you know what I am saying .last time i rode a stock bike I was like god how long has it been since mine felt like this.The strange thing is you dont even have to be hammer down to feel it.Comeing off a curve its like come on getty up whats wrong with you bike.The other thing the first time you throw it in a twisty those tires that stuck like glue on your bike stock dont when you roll on the gas after you have a good motor.
It dont take a rich man to build a good motor for these bikes it just takes knowing what you want, planing and buying a peace here and there as you have money.If you watch ebay you can buy extra motor parts cheap and wont have to pull your bike down at all untill you have everything ready to build the motor.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
lmt you know what I am saying .last time i rode a stock bike I was like god how long has it been since mine felt like this.The strange thing is you dont even have to be hammer down to feel it.Comeing off a curve its like come on getty up whats wrong with you bike.The other thing the first time you throw it in a twisty those tires that stuck like glue on your bike stock dont when you roll on the gas after you have a good motor.
It dont take a rich man to build a good motor for these bikes it just takes knowing what you want, planing and buying a peace here and there as you have money.If you watch ebay you can buy extra motor parts cheap and wont have to pull your bike down at all untill you have everything ready to build the motor.

Power is fun and agree that TPUSA makes the best go fast goodies.
Mike, I am trying to get an idea of what I would need to build a bit more hp into my EFI T100. Not build a fire breather like you have, but add a decent amount of power to make pulling it apart worthwhile.
Here is what I come up with:

904 BB kit: $1200
813 cams: $700
Flow head and/or 2mm over on intake valve: $1000
Clutch springs: $50??

Because I have TB's and not carbs I am more limited on fueling options short of boring out the TB's so time being wouldn't go there.

Tuning this set up on the dyno also makes sense as well and maybe you could ballpark what a tuneboy session would cost.

What I come up with...to add 15-20 hp...and not create a ground shaker like you have requiring teardown and machining of the cases etc...is about $3500 covering gaskets and oil and other sundries.

Does this sound about right and did I miss anything?

PS: since I am limited by the air flow of my TB's does it make sense to still port/flow the head?

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
I think if tuned right you should have 75to 80 hp with that set up.The stock throttle body flows more then stock carbs but not as much as flatslides.I made 85hp and 64 ft/lbs with a 904 like you are talking but with 42mm flat slides. yes i would do the head 2mm os.The dyno work is hard to put a price on depends how long it takes to get it right .You might try and pm fat frant on rat.net he did alot with the tune boy on his efi 904.He may be able to save you some work point you to the right numbers.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I think if tuned right you should have 75to 80 hp with that set up.The stock throttle body flows more then stock carbs but not as much as flatslides.I made 85hp and 64 ft/lbs with a 904 like you are talking but with 42mm flat slides. yes i would do the head 2mm os.The dyno work is hard to put a price on depends how long it takes to get it right .You might try and pm fat frant on rat.net he did alot with the tune boy on his efi 904.He may be able to save you some work point you to the right numbers.
Thanks. I read where Fat Frank sold his hotrod Bonnie and joined the darkside of fat big engine cruisers aka Rocket III. When I read that, I said....Nooooo. I have owned similar and after a while it gets tiring wrestling an alligator. Lighter bikes are so much more fun. Now I hear he understands the error of his ways ;) and is looking to return.
My sense this time when rejoining the bonnie flock is he will go for even more hp. :)

Last edited:

PieMan

Two Stroke
20 more hp and you would change your mind lol even with what you have done.I wish all you guys could ride a high hp bonnie one time you would see for yourself how much it changes a bike .I was just like you guys till I had one.yall all know about being on the edge on the twistys but when its like that on the strights to its a rush that cant be beat.

Na Mike, your 1087 would only beat my 75bhp 790 on the straights, in the twisties you'd have my dust in your teeth.:finger2:

Phrased as you would say "I wish all you guys could ride an excellent handling bonnie one time you would see for yourself how much it changes a bike". You know my setup, CBR600 wheels with 120/60 & 160/60 tyres, twin disks, cartridge forks and ZRX1200 shocks re-sprung with the right weight springs. It's an orgasm in the twisties. Ask Sweatmachine, he knows.

Only one thing better, if I had a 1087 engine now the handling is sorted.

Believe me, the riding experience with your 1087 motor would be far superior if you sorted the handling to match the power. Twin disc up front to slow you down, tyres with some meat on them to give you confidence and handle that power your motor is producing and 185Kg dry weight to help flick ability and acceleration. Any Bonnie is more fun if it handles and rides well even at 65bhp, higher power adds to that fun. :cheers:

Last edited:

strokerlmt

pieman........when I road the stock bike my reactive personality immediately said holy shit there is no throttle response. Is this what my bike started out as. Then I hit the first semi tight corner and I moved through as I would with my bike and half way through if I had not backed off I would have lost it and been in the wrong lane. My alloys, tires, braking and suspension make as much a difference as the TPUSA 988 stroker. I think of the least expensive and great mods are the Ricor Emulators with the shortened spacer and new fork oil....
LMT

mikenva

Rocker
well mine has works billet trackers and there springs up front sport dea. tire so its not as stock as it looks .LOL beside mike I would have to ride slow in the curves so you could catch up lol.

mikenva

Rocker
pieman........when I road the stock bike my reactive personality immediately said holy shit there is no throttle response. Is this what my bike started out as. Then I hit the first semi tight corner and I moved through as I would with my bike and half way through if I had not backed off I would have lost it and been in the wrong lane. My alloys, tires, braking and suspension make as much a difference as the TPUSA 988 stroker. I think of the least expensive and great mods are the Ricor Emulators with the shortened spacer and new fork oil....
LMT
You mean your pushing it to hard if it 2 wheel drifts to the other side of the road lol? You need to ride with these nutty kids i rode with last year hubsa 100 rr hondas and so on .I went in curves way over my head one at 90 mph slid to the other side of the road thats when I said hey your 52 years old you shouldnt be doing this dumb shit.I should of know better when i met up with them and there tanks and shit where all dented and messed up.One of them would about touch the road with his hand in the curves.Its funny how these bikes make a old man feel young now and then.But i am past those days now.

NYou know my setup, CBR600 wheels with 120/60 & 160/60 tyres, twin disks, cartridge forks and ZRX1200 shocks re-sprung with the right weight springs. It's an orgasm in the twisties. Ask Sweatmachine, he knows.

That I do! I was hanging with a Ducati Supersport 900 for 200 miles last weekend.

Got any pics of your ride? Sounds way cool.

MES

750cc
185Kg dry weight
=407lbs
Stock Dry weight (claimed) is 205.0 kg (451.9 pounds)
You shed 44.9lbs or 20kg off your bike all while adding a second caliper and rotor?

Yeah, I know the CBR600 wheels are lighter (but the rubber isn't)
what did you do, remove the crank?.
I don't know Pie, I'm tempted to call bullshit. That's a lot of weight.

=407lbs
Stock Dry weight (claimed) is 205.0 kg (451.9 pounds)
You shed 44.9lbs or 20kg off your bike all while adding a second caliper and rotor?

Yeah, I know the CBR600 wheels are lighter (but the rubber isn't)
what did you do, remove the crank?.
I don't know Pie, I'm tempted to call bullshit. That's a lot of weight.

I weighed my stock wheels (with tires, rotors, etc, no bullshit) and also weighed the sv650 wheels (with tires, rotors, etc, no bullshit) and the sv650 wheels (with tires, rotors, etc, no bullshit) were 20lbs lighter in total.

So, shedding stock exhaust, fenders, airbox, swapping wheels, etc, I could EASILY see it possible to drop 40-50lbs off the bike.

MES

750cc
The crank was just a joke of course and I really don't think that Pie is coming on here and throwing us a curve. It's just that when you hear that, it like fuck me that's a lot of weight.

I know it could be done, maybe not easily and certainly not cheaply.

I figured the wheels were about 20lbs lighter. and thats unsprung weight too :)
the brake/ rotor cancel out the air box.
ditch fenders front and back is good for ~6lbs.
alloy tank, what another 6lbs.
a lighter swing arm, what about 8lbs
I forgot the pipes, that's another 6lbs.

Loose a little bit more with a 520 and lighter sprocket.
drill front sprocket, ditch the cover. chain guard

yeah, 46/ 48lbs. After that though your fighting for onces.

Loosing 20lbs of unsprung weight is a lot and another 20 sprung would so help these bikes. much more nimble and quicker. Help with the engine braking too.

mikenva

Rocker
not when you fill those holes with big pistons.
what if they are as light as the stock ones you took out ? 904 pistons are.
You know removeing rotateing weight has a + and a - it lets you pick up speed faster but you will allso loose speed faster.in some cases thats good and bad.Back in the old days drag raceing you would run a heavy fly wheel on a heavy car ,the flywheel keeps the revs up when you dunp the clutch .A light flywheel will rev faster but looses more on a heavy load .Thats why most big trucks have real heavy flywheels.
But ether way you cant loose enough weight on these bikes to make up for 25 more hp.
being good in the curves is more who can ride then the bike anyway .On the strights its all motor.You could take any of the top flat track races and put them on a bike that dont handle but so so with alot of motor and they just might pass you in the curve with there bike sideways lol.If you ever watched those guys race on black top tracks you know what I am talking about,thats real raceing.