My Bike got Bumped

hankmarx

750cc
I was at a wake this afternoon, a friend came over and asked if that was my Triumph in front, and then said someone had knocked it over. I go out and several teamsters are picking it up. Broken right foot peg, crg mirror snapped,
road rash on the brake lever, dent in the predator. A guy on a BMW knocked his bike over into mine, almost dominoing into a full dresser Harley. When I came out He was on the phone with insurance. He was a fellow union member, but a transfer I did not know. It was not the time or place to get mad. I will deal with insurance tomorrow. My full face helmet was hanging on the bars and probably bounced.

I guess it could be worse :d

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
same thing happened to me one time. check it carefully and get a dealer estimate. His insurance will hook you up. $$$ I scored serious cash for minor scratches on some bolt on parts Then I sourced off a forum cheap.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Sorry to hear about all that, Buddy. Maybe it will work out in your favor... I bet you were due for a new FF anyway. :woot:

My full face helmet was hanging on the bars and probably bounced.

Would that have caused the helmet to not perform up to spec's? Hard to believe that something made to keep your head together in a crash could be compromised in a simple minor bump like falling from a handlebar height. Of course if one was dropped many times, I could understand the cumulative effects compromising a helmets safety, but just one? :d:shrug::confused:

Last edited:

simpson

TT Racer
If it is dropped from more that 3 or 4 feet then it may or may not have used up its protective design.

I would go ahead and replace it.

Better safe than sorry.

-simpson

Helmets are designed for one (and only one) impact. Without your melon filling the helmet it can distort under force. It's up to you to decide to keep it or trash it of course.

hankmarx

750cc
We will see what the insurance company says, I hope the helmet will be covered. The adjuster will look at it tomorrow. I missed the r mirror more than the footpeg on the 45 miles home. For the first time ever I have an alternate bike to ride. My 75 Norton is almost finished.

jphickory

Banned
If the motorcycle didn't land on the helmet I wouldn't think twice about wearing it.

Last edited:

innominate

Street Tracker
Damn that's more damage than when you lost traction on gravel at the sisters. As far as the helmet goes, if there isn't anything in it on impact, ie your noggin, I would think the foam lining would still be intact. But since you didn't see it fall its prob best to play it safe. Also, I would think ins will buy you a new one so use the old one for target practice.

Last edited:

hankmarx

750cc
The insurance people already cut the check. They did cover the helmet. The footpeg and the mirror have been ordered.

The insurance people already cut the check. They did cover the helmet. The footpeg and the mirror have been ordered.

Nice! Congrats on getting the Norton done too. I can't wait to see and hear that beast!

Also, my phone crashed and I lost your number. PM me here, or gimme a call some time.

jphickory

Banned
Even if the other fellow's insurance wants to buy you a new one? C'mon.

And Sweat and Simpson are correct... one good impact and it's done for.

I didn't say anything about the insurance and you are wrong about the helmet. An empty helmet free falling from handlebar height, affected by the force of gravity alone, will not compromise its integrity. This really should be common sense.

DIRK

750cc
the only way to know is to send it back the factory and have it checked out. you may have cracks that with your fine vision you just cannot see. but when it bounces off the tarmac with your head in it they show up with nasty results. but as the nice man says it's your head and you get one.

innominate

Street Tracker
I think jphickory's point is regarding the inner lining that absorbs force when it compresses btw your head and the outer shell after an impact. and that is what I was referring to also. With nothing inside the helmet the inner shock absorbing material should retain its protective properties.

Can't wait to see that norton. You gonna bring it to the cap city mods vs rockers?

LoVel

Two Stroke
Hank I know two people you can sell that helmet to for a decent price. I myself wouldn't touch it with either one of their heads.

hankmarx

750cc
I will leave the dinged pipe on the bike. That money now buys rearsets and a mirror for the Norton. I will leave the brake pedal as well. I will replace the helmet. The Norton is not quite done, I still need a speedo and a tach. It is now inspected, insured, and has plates.
When is Mods and Rockers Capital City style?