Moto trip 2011

Bonafide

NBR founder
Did my annual 'man ride' with my pals from school days. 5 days - 4 nights .. which was actually about a 10 day riding excursion for me. For some reason, I just didnt pull the camera out and snap a lot of pics .. as it was all about the ride, not the destination. Wonderful roads. Spent an entire day in Eastern KY coal mining country <-- that was a trip in itself.

Headed home on the last morning, I stopped in the historic downtown Blue Ridge, GA and snapped a pic (1st one)

The 2nd is from a top/near the State marker about Pine Mountain - on Hwy 421 after leaving Harlan, KY. WONDERFUL road .. but LOTS of semi truck hauling coal headed the other way.

Attachments

• moto_2011_5.jpg
    moto_2011_5.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_2011_1.jpg
    moto_2011_1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0

koifarm

Hooligan
Sounds like a good ride Bud, it's good to get away now and then, especially with good friends and blue highways....bet ya had fun !
I'm wishing it was me.......

Bonafide

NBR founder
Sounds like a great time. How did the bike perform?

Flawless. Gobs of torque, will scrap a peg in the twisties, hauls gear like a Mule, rides like Caddy. The others complained of upper muscle cramping from holding their arms up, lower back ache from their sitting position - me, I was good. I'd changed my stock bars out for some Renthals and slapped an Airhawk aka 'old man pad' on my seat (GF's words) and rode in comfort.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Stopped at this store in Eolia, KY. J.D. Maggard's Cash Store. Owned/Operated by the same family since it was built in 1914. Doesnt look like it's changed very much since the 30s or 40s. The current owner/operator looks like he cuts his own hair. As soon as I walked in .. the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou popped in my head .. 'this place is a geological oddity, two weeks from everywhere'. I was awe-struck by the guy behind the counter and this still in operation-living-piece of history. The store was an on scene filming location for Coal Miner's Daughter. The owner was very proud of that fact and showed us pictures ... and the actual scale used to measure out a pound of bologna in the movie.

1. Outside view of the store. There's a creek running off the mountain behind it.
2. The view of counter when you walk in.
3. The old (no unused) Refrigerator. There's a plaque on the front, "cooled by Frigidaire".

Attachments

• moto_2011_6.jpg
    moto_2011_6.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_2011_7.jpg
    moto_2011_7.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_2011_8.jpg
    moto_2011_8.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0

simpson

TT Racer
How was the riding in Kentucky? We have a group going up to Slade, KY next weekend.
Any tips?

-simpson

Bonafide

NBR founder
Tips about what? Which roads to hit between Hickory and the Lexington area? No helmet law in KY. One of the guys in our group (Harley rider) liked riding bald-headed. Good for him ... but not my style. I'm too pretty for facial road rash and too smart for my pumpkin to get popped.

If you can get on Hwy 80 - Hayter's Gap, VA - just above Abingdon .. or hwy 460 ...

Or ... up The Snake on hwy 421 starting in Mountain City area ... Or .. ride over to Rogersville, TN .. then North on Hwy 70 to 58 to 421 .. which if you stay on it, will take you to Richond, KY area.

simpson

TT Racer
Thanks! The roads there and back will be great. Never have ridden much in Kentucky. I'm looking forward to exploring.

I'm not one for riding without a lid. Tried it in SC for about a mile...no thanks.

-simpson

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Looking at these pictures makes me anxious to when I treat myself to the ride across the US when I return. You definitely have the right routes in mind....the "back" roads where people actually live and the country shows its character. Nothing on the highway that I want when I am on two wheels.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Didja ask for some Dapper Dan Pomade in the store?

HA! I actually just kinda yelled a statement, "I'm a dappa-dan man!" ... then started my bike and left.

Looking at these pictures makes me anxious to when I treat myself to the ride across the US when I return. You definitely have the right routes in mind....the "back" roads where people actually live and the country shows its character. Nothing on the highway that I want when I am on two wheels.

LOTS of people in rural KY at home during day and most would wave to us. Saw some odd things ... like a pretty nice looking 57 Chevy sitting in a front yard with a tree growing out of the engine compartment.