Most stupid thing you have done while riding

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
I got drunk and had to leave my bike over night at the bar. When I started it up a crowd came out of the building to see who the dumbass was that left their bike.

Gretsch

Rocker
I got drunk and had to leave my bike over night at the bar. When I started it up a crowd came out of the building to see who the dumbass was that left their bike.

Actually I think leaving the bike was a smart thing. Think of what could have happened if you rode drunk.

Wheelie on my RD250 aged 17 to impress my G/f and her two spunky friends. Got it up, and it promptly dropped but somehow bounced upright. Unknown to me on bike (all this took seconds) drop had twisted handlebars and was stretching accelorator cable to full open. Bike smashed into tree and so did I. Chest felt like was gonna explode. After about 20 minutes was able to stand and painfully walk again but bike was well and truelly written off. Was very impressive walking her 12 miles back to her house.
Oh yes and aged 16 when I got my moped. Run out of petrol so cycled it 8 miles. Got home to find I had a reserve switch.

Last edited:

Social D 13

Scooter
Dumbest thing I've done was similar to most. I've kept my foot on the peg way too long coming to a stop and I guess my body didn't react, wasn't able to get my foot down in time and I went down like a tree!
Odddly, no damage to the bike ...
The other dumbest thing while on my triumph was thinking that a Harley davidson would look cool in my garage....hehhehee

ssjones

750cc
Two things, both on my long-gone Yammy DT400 a long time ago:
Flipped a wheelie - I loved riding wheelies and could hold that thing up for a few blocks. One night, after closing the restaurant where I worked, my co-workers challenged me to ride light to light on one wheel. I was beat, but tried it anyway. Sure enough, flipped it back over. Trashed the rear and front fenders and shredded up my work dress pants/shirt/tie. My license plate was into a small, metal ball. One co-worker gave me a ride home on his moped (come to think of it, climbing on that nuts moped was #3 of stupid things..) My wife took one look at me and just shook her head. I rolled the license plate to her across our kitchen table. That episode did get me a new set of cool, plastic yellow YZ fenders...

Got made at the wife, after drinking and took off on the DT thru our town during the wee hours. Don't remember how I got home or how the heck I didn't crash. Someone was looking out for me on that night (1st & last time riding a bike drunk for me!).

#3 - with photo evidence. Riding the same DT across historic, "Burnside Bridge" at Antietam Battlefield. The road was closed to vehicular traffic. But guys with 70's curly-perms and Rush concert baseball t's were exempt. Note, MD was a "no helmet" state in those days. #4 - Try getting the rats-nest out of a curly perm after riding all day without a helmet..... Sadly, not an issue these days (but I wear a helmet anyway...).

Last edited:
Many years ago, got sloppy drunk in a bar, went to go home, couldn't start the bike, dropped it a couple times while trying to start it, finally called my girlfriend to get me a taxi home.

I'd accidentally hit the kill switch, and it probably saved my life. :cheers::stupid:

I hardly drink at all anymore, and I don't miss it.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
When I was about 20, I rode my K440 to a graduation party. There were about 25 people standing on the front lawn when I pulled up.One of the people watching was a cute and wild girl in was definately interested in. As I got off and walked towards the house I caught a funny look on her face. Then I heard a crash behind me and the whole crowd burst out laughing.

I turned around and walked back and picked up my bike. I had forgotten to put down the kickstand.
13496d1186290882-kz-owners-dsc00183-small-.jpg

78gold

Two Stroke
Stoopid Man

Not actually riding but did a very stooopid bike related thing last night.
Left my laptop on with the spreadsheet with monies spent on bike so far, including mods, services etc.

You guessed it Mrs saw it, read it, memorised it and now I am in the doghouse. (Well garage actually with my 2 bikes and Trans Am so not all bad.)

Gunna be harder to get the appropriations committe to approve any more $ :mad2:

Dave

Street Tracker
Not actually riding but did a very stooopid bike related thing last night.
Left my laptop on with the spreadsheet with monies spent on bike so far, including mods, services etc.

You guessed it Mrs saw it, read it, memorised it and now I am in the doghouse. (Well garage actually with my 2 bikes and Trans Am so not all bad.)

Gunna be harder to get the appropriations committe to approve any more $ :mad2:

:eeek:
That's the winner!!!

koifarm

Hooligan
You gotta explain to her it's actually a good investment man, increases the value of the bike when it's sold. Then, show how thrifty you were and how you shopped around for the best deals out there, she should understand that for sure....then get your knee pads out and beg for forgiveness, take her out to dinner at a nice place and that should do it!!!!

78gold

Two Stroke
Caught Out

Thanks for the advice Koi,
Now I am going to the pink concert, staying at a motel and going to a good restaurant for dinner.:chair:

Not much luck with convincing her it is a good financial investment, much better luck with convincing here it keeps me on the happy side of psychotic and that its cheaper than a shrink.:)
All's well (I think)

motoV8

moped
I was riding on the freeway going about 70 mph with the throttle lock on when somehow I managed to hit the kill switch. I was trying to figure out why the bike cut out. I then realized it was the kill switch and turned it back on forgetting that the throttle lock was still in lock position. The bike came alive and lurched forward with tremendous force. My right hand lost grip of the handlebar and twisted my body towards the left side of the seat. The bike still racing and the exhaust screaming I managed to gain control. As I slowed down considerably a car past me on the left and the driver was shaking his head and laughing his ass off. At least he couldn't see my red face underneath the helmet.

why the fXXK would you keep a spreadsheet of bike costs Gold? I treat it like gambling. Remember only the positives. My bike is dirt cheap by my method. but may cause a heart attack if i kept an actual record. Thank God i dont gamble. have to say Pink concert a good move. Just listened to her Im not dead Australian limited release. SHE IS AWESOME and has best taste in bikes

Last edited:

Ben S

Scooter
picking up my new triumph..

the day I decided to go and get my Bonneville's 500 mile check-up done I looked at the weather to see what the days ride would be like. Now keep in mind I've had the bike for one week. It is usually sunny and warm here, but this day called for possible thunder storms and a wind advisory. I live 175 miles from the bike shop as I didn't want to go alone I asked my gunsmith and friend to come with on his goldwing. It rained almost all the way up (no rain gear) freezing our asses off and looking like a couple of drowned cats in a burlap sack, but we made it. On the way home it looked like the sun was going to peek out for about 10 minuets.. then the winds started to pick up BIGTIME. Sustained gusts up to 54 MPH! in the dark with sand blowing across the road like snowdrifts it took forever to get back. When we did finally arrive home, the family was seriously worried because 3 tractor trailers blew over on the road right behind us in the pass and it was all over the news.
What did I learn? The Thai Bonnie doesn't mind getting wet...Don't be in such a rush to get somewhere you don't make it...don't just read the weather report..think about what you just read...(as a pilot I should have known this one almost had a case of CFIT on the bike) and me and my Bonnies bonding experience proved she can be driven at a 45 degree angle for prolonged periods of time!
Oh and when I was younger and MUCH smarter I was coming home on a Yammie 250 with a huge mylar balloon tied to the back rack for Valentines day. I wanted to make sure the string was still tight sooooo I put my left hand on the right throttle and put my right hand on the rack and turned my body around 180 degrees to look at the balloon..I got very short lesson in counter steering when I pushed the right handlebar away from me to see behind. The bike ran off the road between a telephone pole and the guy wire and up a hill where it ran out of steam and just tipped over. I nearly shit myself!
Can't say I won't do other stupid things, but I never make the same mistake twice!

speedtrip

Scooter
Daytona Bike week 08 riding Speed triple . Bunch of us were riding to Flaggler Beach and the bridge over the intercoastal I decided to pull the front wheel off the ground and ride over well just as I got to the top running a round 60 a gust of wind blew me from the inside lane to the outside Im staring at the water and everyone esle was staring at me wondering if I was going in the drink but managed to save me and the bike dont know how but , an hour later I was riding an America

Back in college I was drinking at this Japanese place in Harvard Square. Got completely fall down drunk on Sake and Asahi. Realized I wasn't going to be able to drive my bike home, so I went and got it off the street to find a good safe place to park it.

"Those blue lights in that parking lot look cool! I'll park it there."

Harvard police station.

The next morning, of course, the bike is gone. Towed for being parked in the police officers spots at the station.

The stupidity could end there, but it doesn't. I'm not paying for the tow and the storage fee, so I slink into the impound place (which is a parking garage in boston) fire it up and speed through the barricades with some fatass yelling at me to stop.

CLEAN GETAWAY!!- oh wait, nope. Here's the fine and summons to court in the mail...

Needless to say I stopped being a hooligan soon after. I used the "Come on, I'm 19! Give me a break" defense.

Oh and another time when I was about 15 I had broken my arm on a halfpipe skating. After it healed for a couple months the cast came off and I went out dirtbiking with my friends as usual. Did a massive jump, came down kind of sloppy, rebroke my arm instantly from the impact. Rode the bike home and didn't mention anything to anyone. It healed up pretty quick so it must've just been a little pop, not a real break per se.

Stupid.