More Light, again

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
That looks about right - latest cutting edge LED technology can squeeze 50-80 lumens/watt, which is in line with what they quote on their site.

Sadly, the replacement low-voltage MR16 form factor bulbs that I've found aren't running in that range, they are running in the 20 lumens/watt range, with 3W being the biggest I've found.

I'm still looking!

Florida- Those links appear to be broken. Can you PM me? Although I get the gist - I'll go out right now and measure the voltage, as I'm using the stock wiring loom. That said, with my Narva bulb from Daniel Stern, I'm *reasonably* happy with the BRIGHTNESS. The problem currently is the beam pattern, which has dark spots where I want light. I'm worried that if I make the light even brighter, then the contrast will be even worse.

Thanks!

BlueJ:
Here it is. This is DEcosse's great thread on lighting with some incredible posts, illustrations, and photos showing before and after photographs documenting each change (see posts 7,28,29 on the thread below). Wanted to share with all here. Great stuff. HTH.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/120338-headlight-performance-improvement.html

rodburner

Rocker
J,I have large and small Kuryakyn Silver Bullets in halogen and LED. The LED versions don't throw any beam,they are just a blinking light that contrasts with their surroundings so a cager might see you better. The large halogens are very bright,with 20 and 50w bulbs available,but there is no fluting on their glass lenses,so again,close up light,but not much projection in my case. They are easily mounted though,using the 41mm P clamps from Kuryakyn.Depending on which model you bought,the mounting bolt hole needed to be enlarged a little,but even when the lights are removed,the P clamps are very unobtrusive clamped to the forks.

Last edited:

D9

Vendor
BlueJ... the LazerStars were mounted on a Thruxton turn signal bracket... back
then the bracket was $7. Personal observation... once the flyscreen came off, the LazerStars just
looked gawky as hell. The flyscreen somehow really helped to mitigate the visual awkwardness of the lights... in effect
acted as visual buffer zone, with enough graphic mass to help balance things a bit... with it gone, I hated
how the bike looked. Tried mounting the lights various different places... couldn't find any arrangement I could live with.

Ah, vanity...

Tried to get the first two pics close to actual size...

LazerStarShorty1.jpg

LazerStarShorty2.jpg

Lazer-Star-Shortys-1.jpg

Lazer-Star-Shortys-3.jpg

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Thanks RB! I think there are a variety of types of reflector backings on the bulbs. Like I said, I ordered each from DK and I'll see how they look. If I end up paying the $7 to ship them back, oh well at least now I know for a fact. I have come to be in agreement with you on the smaller form factor LED bulbs -- great for being seen, not so good for seeing.

D9- You da MAN! Thanks! I was concerned about that standoff post the Lazer Stars have - been looking at whether there's a way to maybe extend the depth of that mounting bracket so that 2 lights could be mounted right next to each other *between* the ears of the bracket under the main light rather than outboard. Doesn't give that 'parallax triangle' to give the cagers a clue, but it's more for me looking downbeam rather than the deer looking up. :)

All- Once all the stuff I've got coming gets here, I'll do a pretty extensive set of mockups, etc., with photos, comparing the aux lights, 3 different mainbeam reflectors, 4 different mainbeam bulbs (including an HID conversion), etc. Lots of constant exposure photos etc. Not sure if I'll get it all posted before Bennington, but I will get it all put together.

Thanks for all the great creative advice and input - keep it coming!

TC_Dick

TT Racer
sorry for taking so long on the photos, been busy as hell.

I had some of those mr16's or whatever, and they sucked. they lit up everything within about 15 feet and made distances actually harder to see. and they were the "spotlight" type.

here are the piaa's..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

My battery is dead as a and the wiring stuff is kinda incomplete, or I'd get you a shot of 'em lit up.. I'll see if I can do that on Thursday or so..