More Light, again

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I posted an entire thread about this very issue in the tech section.

I believe that somebody else did (with pics) as well.

search is your friend.
----edit below----
Here, I did it for you
Speed3Chris thread http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6910

My thread http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2332

Gee thanks you must think I'm a real tool and didn't use the search function at all.

Oh look! The thread you started hasn't had an update for 2 years.

Oh Look! The thread by that other guy was (a) pretty freaking mundane because all it covered was how to do a damn headlight swap and (b) Oh look! it died last fall, with a short kick back to life recently by someone wondering if there was anything different about the newer models and Oh! Look! the 4th to the last post on *that* thread was by me!!!

At least you didn't bother giving me a link to one of the threads on this topic that *I* started a while back.

I called this thread *More* light, *again* on purpose. It's just within the realm of possibility that some new product has come out (yep, the projector refits weren't discussed in those former threads) or that someone has come up with a novel approach. You'd note if you used the 'read the thread' feature of the site that I started with a solicitation for opinions or experience on two approaches which are *not* just "get a better 7" reflector and bulb".

But really, thanks. Got any new input on the topic?

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
And sorry about the rant. Nothing personal intended. Just that one of my biggest peeves about internet forums is when folks ask for help/advice/input and there's always some <insert appropriate term here> who feels like it's their god-given duty to explain to the OP why they shouldn't have asked, or how they should already know, or how it's a stupid question, or the question they really should have asked was, blah blah blah.

It's easy. Someone asks a question, and you know the answer, and feel like answering, answer. You don't know the answer, or don't want to answer, get out of the way!!!

Thank you. Too tired, not enough scotch. Fixing both issues *NOW*.

MES

750cc
damn, sorry for tryen.

sorry for not reading the entire linked to threads and noticing that the last post was yours.

Not only did I take the time to respond, but I actually took the time to go back and find them for you.

You know, it has been known to happen that people don't use the search feature.
It has been known to happen that people don't title threads accurately or that the title is mis- interpreted.

It has been know to happen that people get frustrated and don't read all the search result threads or pertinent threads don't show up in the search results.

So the fact that the threads are old means that the info isn't accurate?

good luck with your lighting.

pull the stick out of your ass or at least take a pain killer.

ivar

TT Racer
The HID kit won't impact the beam pattern, only the brightness. Still, I'd love to see one installed...

the HID kits I've seen does indeed impact the beam pattern, as the light often emits from a slightly different point than a regular H4 bulb.

But , maybe the newer HID kits have this fixed...?

Also some speculating - are there other bikes with round headlights that throws good patterns and with a good output..?

D9

Vendor
BlueJ,

I don't ride at night any more... but, I used these Lazer Star 50W halogen Shorty's for a couple of years just for increased daytime visibility... they were ridiculously bright even in full-sun daytime, at night they pretty much lit up the world... wired to go on with the high beam... the side-to-side illumination spread was impressive and they were adjustable as well. Couldn't
quite get them to look good on the bike though... vanity won out and I removed them.
Build quality was impressive, but some long-term problems with sealing... the manufacturer was responsive to the issues, but I don't know that I would buy these again.

What I went away with was the sense that a single headlamp - and I did do
some kind of basic upgrade to the main headlamp as well - may not be
able to approach the combination of headlamp and powerful auxiliary lighting, especially if a wide side-to-side spread is what's needed. If I found I needed to
ride at night occasionally, I'd likely put them back on and redouble the effort to
make them look presentable on the bike... this was back in 2005-6... there's likely smaller and better systems now that would be easier work with, although getting them to
look ok could still be a real design challenge...

Laser-Star-Shortys-2.jpg

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
This isn't a real solution, but for the past year I have been using a Farenheit White Xenon ( Halogen) H4 100w/90w. I have had no problems with my electrical system handling this, and it does improve things at night. I have to agree that it seems like the reflector and/or lens in the Bonny really sucks. The 100w bulb is good enough for some night riding but I don't think I would like to go long distances through the mountains at night with it.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
BlueJ,

... I used these Lazer Star 50W halogen Shorty's for a couple of years just for increased daytime visibility...

Yes I remember your posts and that photo. I may well be doing something just like that, with Lazer Stars or Kuryakyn - I'll probably order both and return the more ugly of the two. Do you recall whether you had the wide bean or narrow beam MR16's in there? I'd ideally wire mine up to be on all the time or be separately switched - my current issue is mostly with the low beam pattern (but that may change when I switch from the Bosch to the Hella reflector).

I might also look at the smaller Kuryakyn's, which I think use MR-11 bulbs... we'l see.

Thanks!

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
BlueJ,

Check out these LED auxiliary lights on ADVrider. He's got a spot pattern and a flood pattern. Low power draw, very bright, not terrible looking.

Thread on ADVrider with pictures of them in use: LINK

Page with purchase info: LINK

a64734a12ee416a1d17159_m.jpg
a64734a12ee4167f555560_m.jpg

ivar

TT Racer
if using those small projector lamps, would it be possible to somewhat tuck it in under the headlight (relocate the rectifier to make room) so that it isn't as noticeable when not in use

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Shit I loved the rant. It was great, got me fired up ;-)))
LMT

I didn't pull the rant, just the stick (and not very far!).

Thanks folks for the other ideas.

Ivar - I think that my result would look like D9's only with the lights tucked up closer and tighter to the headlight because I'd put them on an NB blinker relo bracket.

Wyzen- I'll follow those links when I get home - depending on cost, I might explore the Silver Bullets or Lazer Star shortys with a high power LED MR16 or MR11 from Superbright LEDs

Cheers gents!

From RAT Twins Technical talk 9/23/2010 (Post #4) by DEcosse. This is an incredibly informative post (excerpts below) with illustrated tests of each change done by DEcosse (second from last web address referenced as Post 28 below). Surprising results. HTH.

I am big fan of the Philips bulbs - I'm sure these new ones will again be ahead of the Osram Nightbreaker Plus (+90)

Bulbs certainly make a difference - but the voltage you supply them with can make an even bigger difference!

(Mine run at only a couple of hundreths off 14.0V measured directly at the bulb connector)

Here's why:
Check this out from Daniel Stern Lighting
Quote:
In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the stock headlamp equipment.
Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage
The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential with the power.

For example, let's consider a 9006 low beam bulb rated 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and plug in different voltages:

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
14.5V : 1528 lumens
In simple terms - more volts make more lumens!

Here's a set of pictures that show progression from improved voltage (through better gauge wires & relays) and then the Xtreme Power Bulbs.
(Post 28)
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...ml#post1417178
To get the ultimate out of your bulbs, improve the wiring!

Taking a step even further, this documents changing the lens/reflectors for Cibies.
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...ml#post1422536

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Florida- Those links appear to be broken. Can you PM me? Although I get the gist - I'll go out right now and measure the voltage, as I'm using the stock wiring loom. That said, with my Narva bulb from Daniel Stern, I'm *reasonably* happy with the BRIGHTNESS. The problem currently is the beam pattern, which has dark spots where I want light. I'm worried that if I make the light even brighter, then the contrast will be even worse.

Thanks!

D9

Vendor
Yes I remember your posts and that photo. I may well be doing something just like that, with Lazer Stars or Kuryakyn - I'll probably order both and return the more ugly of the two. Do you recall whether you had the wide bean or narrow beam MR16's in there? I'd ideally wire mine up to be on all the time or be separately switched - my current issue is mostly with the low beam pattern (but that may change when I switch from the Bosch to the Hella reflector).

I might also look at the smaller Kuryakyn's, which I think use MR-11 bulbs... we'l see.

Thanks!

BlueJ... not sure about wide-beam vs narrow... sorry... I do remember being surprised that the that the light bulbs themselves looked pretty much like hardware-store halogen MR16's...
mr16_grey_transparent.png

...probably not the most rugged bulb for a motorcycle, but bright as f*ck. I also remember my dealer installed some kind of relay when the lights were mounted. If I were revisiting... might look around for a different and more durable lamp... might just check out the ones wiseanhyzer linked or something similar.

edit... looks like there's comparable LED replacements for halogen MR16's... halogen on right, LED on left http://www.customdynamics.com/led_mr16_bulb.htm
led_compare.jpg

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Thanks D9 - I was actually just getting ready to write to you. On your Hosry's - were they mounted to a bracket behind the rectifier, a la an NB turn signal relo kit? It looks like they would have to extend out laterally to clear the fork tubes in that case... :( Leading to the aesthetic unpleasantness.

I've been researching halogen vs. led MR16's tonight, and while it looks like led's are more vibration resistant, draw less current, etc, they also are not as bright, in terms of total light output. As one site put it, bright enough to "be seen" but not bright enough "to see". I'm not nearly so worried about being seen from the front by the deer as me being able to see them. :) Another issue is that some of them have metal heat dissapation fins on the back so they may not fit in the enclosure.

Do you still have those Shortys? I was wondering if you could make a sort of outline drawing of them, looking down from the top (as though looking down the fork tube), to scale and send it to me? Trying to get an idea how much clearance I need around the mount point.

Anyway, I shop and research on....

ivar

TT Racer
As for LED light output, theres' some units out there that really puts out some serious light. A buddy of mine is dogsleddin' , and wearing a Lupine head-mounted lamp putting out several thousand Lumens.
The first time out trying it, he was at the side of the road , and the coal truck coming towards him switched to low beams 200 yards away!

Also some buddies using the same lights when out snowmobiling in the winter, the headlamp easily drowning the sled-mounted 55/60W headlights.
Expensive stuff though

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Ivar- Not disputing that there are led-based units out there that throw amazing amounts of light. My point was only that *in the MR16 form factor* you get more lumens from the halogen (at 10-14 lumens per watt, 35 watts, that's 350-490 lumens) than from the led (at 15-19 lumens per watt but only 3 watts, thats' only 45-57 lumens).

I think that "several thousand lumens" is probably manufacturing mis-statement of some led specs (I read about this just last night). LED efficiency peaks out at roughly 20 lumens/watt. If "several" means 3, than 3000 lumens at 20 lumens/watt implies 600 watts of power on that helmet. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Several thousand candelas, that's possible, but that's a completely different unit!

Here's what I've done, for those that give a crap: I ordered the Kurakyn silver bullets in both large and small, and the Vizor driving lights, all from Dennis Kirk. When they arrive I'll hook 'em all up side by side and see how they look on the bike, what the beam patterns are like, etc. Then I'll send at least two of the sets back to DK. The Lazer Star product looks good, but it has a sort of standoff mount that makes it protrude pretty far from the bracket (see the pic of D9's bike), and I'm hoping to avoid that.

Once I have a unit I like, I'll experiment with LED vs. halogen bulbs, just to see - I definitely hope that LED would be good enough because I like the looooong life!!

Also going to add an Eastern Beaver (love that name!) relay between my battery and my existing fuse block, and plan on hooking the lights in so that they are on whenever the ignition switch is on.

Thanks for the input!