Met Mark Kennedy last night ..

Bonafide

NBR founder
Who? Exactly ...

Mark is the CEO of Triumph USA. He came to the local RAT Pack meeting last night and did a quick Q&A. Afterward, we rode down to the local Taco Mac for some dinner and he picked up the tab. A huge thunderstorm rolled thru just before the meeting started ... which kinda affected the number of turn outs. I was still impressed with how many people that showed.

Few things Mark mentioned that caught my ear. The Street Triple is the number one selling Triumph (world-wide) right now. The Thunderbird seems to have all their attention for product expansion. You wont see anything new within the Modern Classics except 'special editions' models - which would be paint jobs/etc. There's a 'baby' Tiger coming, set to compete with the BMW F800GS market.

Cool guy. Very down to earth and easy to approach. Started out working the production line - assembling the rear wheel on a 1200 Trophy. Been working for the company for 20 yrs. Prior to the USA, headed up operations for Triumph France.

No pics .. couldnt find my camera. :(

DandyDoug

750cc
Very cool good news. Nice to hear that the senior members are getting out to see what us true enthusiasts have to say.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
it's so nice that a "big whig" comes out for these RAT meetings. Since I'm a one bike kinda guy I'd guess we wouldn't be in the market for anything else. But I would have been down for a free meal....even if it's Atlanta Mexican. I've had worse.

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Awesome.

Anything else interesting from the Q&A?

Makes total sense that Triumph will focus on competing with HD for the big cruiser market and BMW for big dual sport market.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Anything else interesting from the Q&A?

Nah. Nothing too interesting IMO. I asked if Triumph was going to get back into sponsoring the Thruxton Cup - he said, no and it was cut for economic reasons. When I asked if there was anything major in the future of the Modern Classics - his response kinda centered around they were already 'classic' and not much left open for expanding that. My follow up question was, 'how bout a Triton? ya know, the whole classic 3 cyl standard look' and his response was, 'isnt that what a Speed Triple is? Think his missed my point. He did mention you might see the name Trident used in the future but it wont look like a classic .. and gave the Thunderbird as an example.

One of guys did ask about a 1 liter sportbike and while it was danced around with a 'I cant talk about projects' - it was hinted that something like that might be a reality .. and most bikes take 3 yrs on average from concept to production.

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Cool.

It's good to hear Triumph talking about expanding their line so much with so many of the manufacturers reducing their lines, etc. Sounds like Mark was a good sport.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Hey Dude...did you press him at all on the Tiger cub? Is it going to be a smaller reflection of how the Tiger looks today or will this bike show some of its roots like what they did with the classics? I do foresee me putting this one in the shed if they show some of the bikes roots to it...I'm anxious to see this one! You probably realized that you would opening yourself to all these kinds of questions didn't you? :D

Nick Morey

Rocker
I can see them throwing that Triton name on a Thunderbird, but it would have to be a sporty version at the very least! The Tiger sounds like a good move. Good to hear that Triumph Big Wigs are keeping their noses out there...

I can see them throwing that Triton name on a Thunderbird, but it would have to be a sporty version at the very least! The Tiger sounds like a good move. Good to hear that Triumph Big Wigs are keeping their noses out there...

As far as Hinckley Triumph are concerned, I don't get this Triton name thing. Trident, yes. Triton no. A Triton is a Norton with a Triumph motor. You can look at this two ways in that Triumph make crap frames and you require Norton running gear to make a good one, or Norton make crap engines and you require a Triumph engine to make a good one. The list of mixed frame / engine combination is almost endless, I won't start listing them, but can you imagine Ducati bringing out a new bike called a Vincati named after a Vincent engine in a Ducati frame. Now Trident is a Triumph, but how many times can they rehash that name?

Nick Morey

Rocker
As far as Hinckley Triumph are concerned, I don't get this Triton name thing. Trident, yes. Triton no. A Triton is a Norton with a Triumph motor. You can look at this two ways in that Triumph make crap frames and you require Norton running gear to make a good one, or Norton make crap engines and you require a Triumph engine to make a good one. The list of mixed frame / engine combination is almost endless, I won't start listing them, but can you imagine Ducati bringing out a new bike called a Vincati named after a Vincent engine in a Ducati frame. Now Trident is a Triumph, but how many times can they rehash that name?

My bad otherwise, I was thinking Trident when I said Triton. I'm starting to lose my faculties in my old age. :D

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
Hey Dude...did you press him at all on the Tiger cub?

I did not. There were some hardcore Tiger riders present and they almost wet themselves when he gave a glimmer of insight that it could *wink-wink* be in the making and what market they would be after. They were the ones pressing for answers and Kennedy basically shut down all detailed orientated questions with, 'I cant really discuss upcoming projects and non-press-released bikes' - but I'd say it's a possibility, *wink-wink*.

otherwise - it was the Trident name, I missed-typed that earlier.